Dremel... is broken?

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
My dremel has been like this for maybe a year... and I just havent really cared until now.

No matter what speed setting it is on (exlcuding off) it spins at the highest RPM possible. Ive cut ALOT of metal, and some other various things. Im assuming it might have somthing to do with the metal shavings and such. Anyone know how I might fix this? Send it back to Dremel for replacement? Thanks!

Doesnt dremel have a five year warranty on them. My xpr400 broke after 6 months. It just started making a popping noise and magic smoke was let out. I looked in my manual and read what I had to do to get it fixed. I sent it off to their address and with a copy of the receipt. Thank good I keep all my online emails for purchases. Less than two weeks later it was back. Fixed. They even sent me a dremel accessory. That was pretty cool of them. That`s one reason I`ll always stick with dremel and not knockoff clones. :D

Common problem with all but the digitals... You need to rip it apart and clean the contacts of the speed control. That or you could also send it in for warranty.

Honestly I am kind of upset that they have not found a way around this yet (aside from the digitals). I use to have this problem all the time and I would rather rip them apart and be back up and running in 15min than go for a replacement :)

JesDer said:
Common problem with all but the digitals... You need to rip it apart and clean the contacts of the speed control. That or you could also send it in for warranty.

Honestly I am kind of upset that they have not found a way around this yet (aside from the digitals). I use to have this problem all the time and I would rather rip them apart and be back up and running in 15min than go for a replacement :)

Im sure its fairly simple do this now that I think of it... any instructions? I havent pulled one apart so I dont know how simple it is. I will check it out a little later today.

I dont have an XPR so I cant really tell you how to do it :) ... and it might not be possible with the XPR. It looks to me that the control is a knob and not a slider like the older models. This means they could be using an encased the rheostat now.

I actually have the best of the older models before the XPR. I dont know the exact model number though. It was the most expensive at the time.

Back