Dremel 4000 VS. Rotozip Vs. Dewalt DW660

commissioneranthony

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for a rotary tool that won't die out on me in a years time. I am comparing the Dremel 4000 to the Rotozip lineup to the Dewalt DW660 because I need a reliable tool and I am not going to buy the cheapest POS rotary like tool I can find.
First off, I am looking for a tool that has some torque behind it and a high amperage motor. I know the dremel is down in both these categories, but I also want to consider the compatibility of each tool, in dealing with the accessories that can be fitted into the chuck of each tool. In addition, I want to include the size of each tool and practicality of using each tool for modding activities

The only reason why I am comparing the dremel 4000 to the other more powerful tools is because there are literally no detailed reviews of the 4000 tool online. Yeah I can read some lousy reviews that say it has a "new and improved motor" but the rest is just fanboy, under the counter, paid-to-be-made literature. I am not the biggest fan of dremels because both my brothers had 400XRP dremel's and both dremels had problems and needed to be replaced.

I want a tool that will work when cutting wood, plexiglass metal and random alloys and won't begin to smoke up and smell horrendous over time. I m leaning more toward the dewalt and rotozip because they are more commercial tools rather than underpowered consumer tools. However, I don't have any experience with any ot these tools and am in need of some advice or feedback from current users.

Also, I noticed that the biggest reason for dremel failure is beuacse of the wearing down of ball bearings. Do they make rotary tools that use syntec sleeve motors? I have researched many tool manufactures and have found out, besides the fact that they almost all divisions of each other, that black and decker, proxxon and mastercraft also make rotary tools. However they are dremel like equilivants which could be rebrands or low quality instruments that will fail in a month.

Any advice would be great. thanks for following along.

I've had the same dremel for over 5 years now. I would say i put an easy 200+ hours on the the thing. Its the simple 2 speed version. OFF - FAST!!!!

I love it. Does the job and i got it for $18 :D

Never had a problem with any of my Dremels. Had a 400 and now have the new 4000. Works just like all the others I've had. It came out less than a month ago so thats why where are no reviews.

Nothing much to review though, Just a slight redesign and better motor.....

Never heard of bearings wearing down. Only thing that wears are the motor brushes and they are designed to be replaceable. I usually have to do mine every 6 months or so.

Rotozip is too bulky for detail work. Same for Dewalt. Only commercial use either see is for sheetrock cutting.

Nothing has bit options like the dremel does.

If you want a truely commercial/high quality tool get a compressor and some air tools.

Yeah, I took the dive and got a dremel 4000. It's performed really good so far. Yeah, I was totally wrong on the ball bearings wearing down, the brushes do. What's nice is that bosch includes the whole assembly diagram of the dremel with part numbers if something needs to be replaced.
I wonder if they'll ever introduce a dremel with a brushless motor though. that would be legit, you wouldn't ever have to replace anything!

I forgot which model I have but it's a Dremel from 10 years ago that goes 30,000rpm. The baby kicks butt and is a rockin strong with good guts. I don't use it that often, mainly little stuff and save the everyday stuff for the Dewalt Drill. But Dremel is a good name. Good buy for sure.

Back