dreamcast thread

Ahhh, God bless the Dreamcast and it's file format and ADX audio format :D
I spent countless hours getting my copy of Street Fighter 3:TS music just right.

It was a great system, I still play it from time to time. PSO...I spent way way too much time in that game. I even imported Ver.2 ...I had a legit lvl 200 Fomar :D

Slartibartfast said:
I don't think they released it for xbox. the ps2 version is worth more than the dc version, the local eb has a used copy for $55. the sad thing is that it looks better on the dc than ps2

they have it for xbox..

i found one at game rush used for $12...

sold it to a friend for $50...

that was about a year ago.

i shoulda used that $50 to buy a DC and some games :(

maybe i'll buy one and some games for myself for christmas...

I had one for a while, but then I returned it for a playstation, I should have kept it =/ Man..

But, Power Stone and that Sonic game were easily the best. The Sonic one had great re-play ability and you could do it with many characters.

Power Stone was a great fighting game.

grifter said:
virtual-on_front.jpg

FOR THE WIN!!!

t3mp said:
Ahhh, God bless the Dreamcast and it's file format and ADX audio format :D
I spent countless hours getting my copy of Street Fighter 3:TS music just right.

It was a great system, I still play it from time to time. PSO...I spent way way too much time in that game. I even imported Ver.2 ...I had a legit lvl 200 Fomar :D

What do you mean about the ADX audio format?

OMG ONLY ONE MENTION?!

Ikaruga FTW - AWESOMELY HARD YET SIMPLE GAME.

HardUp4HardWare said:
What do you mean about the ADX audio format?

http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149409&highlight=adx

Here is a guide for MvC2. Lots of info on the subject in this forum. The OP says to use the Echelon Self boot kit, I always used "bin to boot" from gamecopyworld.com. Much easier. You NEED a non-self-boot image of the game you want to work on, and a program to edit your music files. In SF3 if a music file I created was more then say 5 megs it just wouldn't play. Remember to loop your ADXs!

Be warned, once you start on a music changing project for a DC game it will take over your life :D Took months and many revisions to get Street Fighter 3 just the way I wanted it. Picking the right music for each stage/character, editing the music so you cant tell when it loops, getting the volume on each song just right, etc, etc....

The Dreamcast was awesome. Great games and graphics on par with the PS2. Shenmue was a classic. I felt like some of the graphics were actually better than PS2. And the 2K sports series was awesome had nba and nfl 2k-2k2. It was especially great cuz I got my for $149 later in its life.

The DC was probably more powerful in graphics then the PS2. The PowerVR chip had 8 MB of video memory with texture compression and tile based rendering. If developers used texture compression they could turn 8 MB of video memory into 32 MB and with title based rendering who knows how much room they had to play with.

It sure does dwarf the PS2's 2 MB video memory. It's too bad Sega didn't put in a DVD drive instead. The PowerVR chip also did MPEG2 decoding.

I loved my Dreamcast....man, it was probably the best console I ever had....It was definitely the most exciting thing I think I've ever got. I loved Sonic Adventure 1, House of the Dead, Hydro Thunder, NFL and NBA 2k...and, yes, Shenmue....Shenmue was probably the single most interesting game I have ever played. Ioved how the story developed, and I loved all the "first for" things it had...it had a realistic time of day system, realistic weather system, you had to eat, and a;; of the mini games and freebie arcade games that came with it that you could play in the bar at the arceade section....the fighting system was great...man....now I'm thinking about buying a DC again, just to experience it again....FS/FT forum, here I come! :)

EDIT: and yes, I believe the graphics were better on the DC than the PS2....maube not the polygon performance, but the texture abilities of the Dreamcast were far superior to the PS2. PS2 still gives out blurry patches that supposed to resemble "stuff"...like if you see a green smudge, your best bet is to guess grass.....and brown, dirt...etc... :p

lesman said:
I loved my Dreamcast....man, it was probably the best console I ever had....It was definitely the most exciting thing I think I've ever got. I loved Sonic Adventure 1, House of the Dead, Hydro Thunder, NFL and NBA 2k...and, yes, Shenmue....Shenmue was probably the single most interesting game I have ever played. Ioved how the story developed, and I loved all the "first for" things it had...it had a realistic time of day system, realistic weather system, you had to eat, and a;; of the mini games and freebie arcade games that came with it that you could play in the bar at the arceade section....the fighting system was great...man....now I'm thinking about buying a DC again, just to experience it again....FS/FT forum, here I come! :)

I went to my local Eb, and bought a Dreamcast just for Sonic adventure, and Shenmue. I bought Shenmue new on Ebay for $15.

Oh Dreamcast, how I miss you so...

Dreamcast is easily *the* best console, ever. I honestly don't recall a single game that sucked or didn't look beautiful. Looking back now, the original Sonic Adventues dubbing is pretty damn funny, but the gameplay is second to none.

Saying the PS2 had better graphics then Dreamcast is pure hog-wash. Look at an early DC game and look at an early PS2. Its like night and day. The DC has smooth shapes and fluid animation where the PS2 had very, VERY pixelated models (some of the real early ones were nothing but polygons stacked on top of each other.) and very jagged...well, everything. I think just recently the PS2 has gotten up to th standards the DC set a long time ago. The DC didn't die because it was a bad system, it died because Sony, EA, and later Microsuck all teamed against it. in order to put more money in their own pockets. Its all marketing, marketing, marketing.

Its truely sad...to this day, I ask people, "Would you buy a new SEGA console?" and the answer is always the same: "Fuck yes!"

Long live SEGA. !,,! Lets just pray they dig themselves out of their recent low-par games...

Also: I do hope we all live long enough to buy a new SEGA system. I know its doubtful, but a f4nboy can always hope...

I do hope we all live long enough to buy a new SEGA system. I know its doubtful, but a f4nboy can always hope...

Funny how you never see people being accused of being sega !!!!!!s. Everybody knows sega pwns :D

Dreamcast was a good system, but best console ever? Come on, now. I believe SNES holds that crown and it really isn't all that close. :)

The Dreamcast was great....man.....I wish Sega would come out with a new system...I dunno, like...outta the blue...surprise everyone, Sega! That would be wonderful....hey, I can dream, right!? :eek:

I agree, I would purchase a new Sega console in a heartbeat, to me playing video games on a Sega or Nintendo branded system just felt more legit, like I was still a kid huddled in my room playing DKC on my SNES or Shinobi on my Genisis, they feel like video games aught to feel, sure I love my PS2, Xbox and now Xbox 360, but I can honestly say that I still prefer the Dreamcast over all of them. My game library is pretty impressive, and there are still games that I'm tracking down, thank god for e-bay!

On a related note, just this past year, from playing heated games of Virtua Tennis, Ikaruga and MVC 2 to name a few, my Girlfriends little brother bought himself a DC on E-bay and I bought one for my friend for his birthday, both owned newer consoles already and never owned or even played the DC. Which goes to show, even for late newcomers, it's still downright fun, despite its age.

Slartibartfast said:
Funny how you never see people being accused of being sega !!!!!!s.
That would be like some Notre Dame football fan going, "Dude, that Rudy guy fucking sucks."

I played Crazy Taxi until my thumbs bled. I wish I was joking.

I would love a Sega resurgence more than anything. I think they could pull it off, they just have to wait a bit. I think that part of the DC's failure was lack of consumer confidence, after 32X, Sega CD and Saturn. But if they let the nostalgia grow for a bit before they come back they could score BIG. Especially if, the Revolution takes off, and then Sega comes back with something similar the generation after next.

Dang I miss my DC. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, F355 Ferrari Challenge, Sonic Adventure were my favorite games. I also had Bleem! which allowed me to play Gran Turismo 2 with basically better hardware. Those were the days.

I never had or even played a DC. whats all the hub-bub about? Is it really still comparable to the 360?

In terms of raw power it's def. not as good as an x360, but the DC had lots of really solid and different titles, things like Seaman, Shenmue, Chu Chu Rocket, Jet Grind Radio. And if you like 2D fighting games, it is the system to own. There's also a few really good shooters on it. I haven't played virtua tennis or tennis 2k2 but will probably track one down soon. Is either one significantly better than the other? My friends and I used to play mario tennis for hours on the N64 and another tennis game to play would be nice.

The fact that the dreamcast was allowed to die is a travesty. The only console that I was more happy having on opening day was probably the N64 (only because of mario 64), but the dreamcast had that "complete package" feel right out of the box. I never had a single problem with my console (bought it 9/9/99 on the first day). Soul Calibur is easily the greatest 1st generation title EVER - it still looks impressive even today. Keep in mind it came out almost 6 years ago. Arcade translations were awesome on the system, there's tons of great japanese imports, and Shenmue is still one of the most satisfying games i've ever played beginning to end. Pick one up off ebay if you haven't ever tried it, you can probably get games on the cheap (although some of the more rare ones like SF3: TS are a bit pricey).

My import Dreamcast purchased in December of 1998 is still kicking, and it's sure seen it's miles. Very well built machine. Can't say the same for the stock DC gamepads though....

clownvomit said:
I never had or even played a DC. whats all the hub-bub about? Is it really still comparable to the 360?

Graphically? No. It looks good, not that good. It bests the PS2 in some games, but other's it gets trumped. It simply has a better system of doing graphics, everything looks smoothed and polished, while the PS2 looked jagged and not so refined.

Truthfully, I had some of the most fun with games on the Dreamcast (I'm guessing this thread may of been birthed from my PSP vs. DC thread before).

Crazy Taxi best score was 28,000 for me. I'm sure it's not the best ever, but I was amazed when I first got it. I played that game for like 3 hours straight. Great times.

My favorite system is probably still the ill-born Sega Saturn. It was a heap of very bad Sega planning...b ut I still loved it. Panzer Dragoon series (Including Saga), Burning Rangers, NiGHT's (Best game ever, in my opinion), Virtual Fighter (Fighter's MEGAmix also), and a slew of interesting RPG's that seem to always be more and more original over the last.

Ah, if only we lived in Japan... where the Sega Saturn was actually quite a success!

Deadly sk1llz said:
Crazy Taxi best score was 28,000 for me. I'm sure it's not the best ever, but I was amazed when I first got it. I played that game for like 3 hours straight. Great times.
62,000 here. ;)

I just picked up a brand-new copy of Jet Grind Radio for like $6. The game is pretty fun, but a bit sluggish in the controls. Cool game though, nice to see something different (I haven't played Jet Set Radio Future yet).

I miss the Dreamcast. Sega made some of the most ingenuative games. Games that tried new ideas and didn't care soley about revenue. I wish sega was still going strong but I am 100% satisfied with my PS2 (and soon ps3) with sony exclusive games like Katamari, NBA 06, GTA (games all taking a chance with new ideas) who needs any other console! :D

I remember that memory card that could also be used as a portable little gaming device. Haha that thing was funny.

My friend would also like to swear at Seaman.

finalgt said:
62,000 here. ;)

dang, I think my highest was ~59,000...I'll have to check sometime.

Yeah, I love the dreamcast. I'm sure even dreamcast fans would disagree, but the dc controller is my favorite controller there is. I had it opening day, and I wouldn't change it.

Does anyone know of some games that would be a good casual game ??
For someone who hasn’t played with a console before???

A friend of mine is going to go under the knife, and I thought this would give her something to do while she is convalescing .

I got the dreamcast a bit ago because I have heard so much about them, but I never did try it :/

We used to always get a bunch of non gamers into Gauntlet, stick 4 people who don't really game togeher and let loose, nothing funner!

On another note, I've been strapped for cash and was beginning to take pics of my DC and games to put up in a local FS forum, when lo and behold, the wife finds a page of DC Emulators.... Play Final Fantasy 1 through my DC? Howabout some SNES Contra? Woohoo!!! The DC stays! Gives me another reason to plug it back in!

-wil

I had not been into consoles in years. Never owned a PSX, my last console was a freakin' Genesis. I first saw the Dreamcast at an anime convention in summer '99 and after seeing Powerstone and Soul Calibur I decided I HAD to have one. I got one at Walmart on 9/9/99. I got MK Gold (lol), Soul Calibur, and after a quick stop at the mall I found Powerstone.

I got it all home and hooked it up, and fell in love. Powerstone was insanely fun and silly. MK Gold sucked but it was MK so I enjoyed it for what it was. Soul Calibur blew me away. I mean literally my jaw dropped. From the opening cinematic I was hooked. SC was quite simply the perfect fighting game in every way. Good graphics, easy but flexible gameplay, replayability, everything.

My Dreamcast got me in trouble. I used to bring it to work and hook it up to the videoconferencing system. One day I forgot to unplug it and one of the managers had a meeting in that room.. I got written up and sternly scolded by my boss. It was all good though, those people were idiots.

Then I got Phantasy Star Online. Holy cow.. My first game "addiction" and oh boy was it a bad one. After never being sick, I suddenly found myself using up all my sick days just playing that. As one of about 5 people on earth with the broadband adapter, I had a smooth gaming experience over my DSL. The game was "keyed" to the DC's internals, so when my DC's disc reader failed, I bought a new DC then promptly gutted it to fix my original DC so PSO would still work. Yeah that was weird.

Skies of Arcadia was my first RPG I played and I really enjoyed it. I played FF7-10 afterwards but none of them had the same effect on me.

It really is too bad the DC's life ended so prematurely. It could have survived to the introduction of the xbox, if not farther. It had the capability to be a great entry-level console.

pigwalk said:
We used to always get a bunch of non gamers into Gauntlet, stick 4 people who don't really game togeher and let loose, nothing funner!

On another note, I've been strapped for cash and was beginning to take pics of my DC and games to put up in a local FS forum, when lo and behold, the wife finds a page of DC Emulators.... Play Final Fantasy 1 through my DC? Howabout some SNES Contra? Woohoo!!! The DC stays! Gives me another reason to plug it back in!

-wil

I never even thought of emulators...

Any recommendation for ones for the nes , snes,and Genesis ????

Back