dreamcast thread

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
hi, i was wondering if any of u guys ever had a dreamcast? what did you guys think of it and its games?

i personaly loved the dreamcast and cant seem to find a reason why it failed. i heard that it was has powerful has the ps2.. it had ORIGINAL games such has powerstone, jet set radio, and SHENMUE!!

in my opinion shenmue is the best game ever made...

its a shame that dreamcast failed :(

I got my dreamcast at launch down in Vegas at the meadows mall. I was the 7th person in line, I got there after work (graveyard valet) at 6am approx. After i had picked up my 2 bags of sega stuff and cussed out a soccer mom for cutting in line I stayed up all day playing soul calibur , nfl2k and sonic adventure. It recently kicked the bucket on me, just a few weeks ago. I got a new used one, and once in ahwile i still play it. I have over 60 games for it, 6+ controllers, fishing rod ect. Its probably my all time favorite console, i even got a 5 foot square black plastic dreamcast logo i ripped off the fence at ozzfest.

The reason the dreamcast died was a couple things. EA refused to support the dreamcast, even though they easily could have ported the pc games they had at the time. Other than EA sucking like usual their was general market apathy , i believe due to the saturn and everyones assuradness that the ps2 was going to be SO MUCH BETTER. If you look at ps2 launch games and compare them to the first couple second gen dc games that were out then its kinda pathetic for sony. Who knows what rabbits developers could have pulled out of the dreamcast with time. AM2s lead dude said the dreamcast was capable of 6 million polygons per second with multitexturing and AA. The powerVR graphics chip and hitachi alpha cpu were a powerfull combination.

Thats all i have to say about that, because its bed time.

The Dreamcast was cool, but my beloved Saturn was the baddest console of all time. It was killed by the gaming media. Seriously, how many POS PS games came out, and got incredible reviews. Coolboarders, Twisted Metal, and all the other garbage PS launch titles got these rave reviews. Later on, the PS did have some great titles, but that's b/c developers and publishers jumped on the bandwagon when they saw PS's move out of the store shelves faster than the Saturn. One more thing, it did have better sports game, but when it came to exciting, fun, original games the Saturn Owned. I miss it all ready, had to put it up on ebay to because my wife wanted to get into photography, :(.

once in a while i play my ds cuz its my fav console of all time, very innovating with the way it uses them memory card things that slot into the controller, up till this day i still play shenmue once in a while :) great game and i wish sega come bk with another console,i miss them man :(

I love my DC and as soon as I get some spare cash I'm going to have to hunt down as many great games for it as I can find. There was only something like 250 games for it from what I remember.

I love my DC but shenmue is one of the most boring games I have ever played. I always see people praise it. I don't understand.

Everytime one of these DC threads pop up I end up playing Marvel VS. Capcom 2 and all the other Street Fight games on mine for a week straight :D

I bring it to lans...its what I do when the leeching hour comes...I connect it to the VGA port
of my monitor...my PC uses the DVI

tmc-lan4.13.jpg
tmc-lan4.14.jpg

Oh god, I have one of those Mad Catz 6 front button controllers too, and whenever I'm stuck with it during some 4 player sessions I want to RIP MY EYES OUT! Luckily, it comes in handy during some other stuff.

Dreamcast gave way to some definate good times. Getting 4 or more people together and playing gauntlet would have everyone, including the non gamers laughing their asses offf and trying to kill everything. Me and a buddy will still spend nearly a wholeday or so every other week getting points together to buy new characters and button mash away on MvC2. I remember the week off I had spent alone with Vyse and crew when I finally tracked down Skies of Arcadia (sequel, sequel!). Oh the tears when my crappy generic VMA decided that it didn't want me to continue my NBA2k2 season 60 games in. There was just such a variety of quality games for the system in every genre, also the lack of copy protection made me able to continue buying games when I moved to south america. Truly that system should have gone on for much longer, r.i.p. sega hardware...

-wil

Anyone here play NBA 2k1? Easily the best basketball game ever released.

I love my dreamcast (Im actually on my second one), but the CD-Reader has got very unreliable as of late, so I have been playing it less and less compared to my xbox.

yea i played the nba games, they was top class, best bball game ever made.

to the person who said shenmue is boring: why?? u cud do soomuch things in that man!! i love that game 2 bits

will sega ever get bk into the console market?

I prefer my MadCatz controller over the standard one...buttons feel better..after I bought 4
took them apart and got all the best feeling parts together for a frankenstien controller.
But yeah I sometimes get messed up when that program button gets accidentally turned on,
I use it as a stadard controller and try to stay away from its programming abilities.

Of these many years that I have owned my dreamcast, I never knew you could plug it into your pc monitor. And I thought I knew everything about it, I bought the dreamcast and only one game for it, now these days, it just sits gathering dust.

I love my dreamcast so much I have 2 just in case one ever breaks down. The dreamcast was a great system, with some great games. I can't tell you how many nights I spent burning my retinas with combos in MvC and MvC2.

Don't forget Grandia 2, one of the best battle systems for any RPG ever

-wil

I'd marry my dreamcast. My favorites were Chu CHu rocket, Quake III (no pc at the time), SF Rush 2049 and Gauntlet. So much innovation what with the modem and online stuff, nice variety of mostly HIGH quality FUN games. Oh can't forget Rayman 2 in all it's glory, still my favorite platformer ever.

dreamcast was ahead of its time and nobody adopted to it. it had online before anyone, some great rpg's that nobody else did *shenmue owns* and tons of original and awesome titles. i loved my dreamcast, i (unfortunatley) sold it while the value was still decent so that i had enough money to buy my xbox, which i also love. i do want to get another dreamcast someday, i have a friend who will sell me one with a few controllers and games for 40 bucks so ill do that here in a few months. i definately never would have sold my dreamcast had i known about the burned games thing at the time. my friend with the extra one has two systems, like 6 controllers, 2 light guns, the fishing pole controller, and nearly every single game ever released, us and jap. he has about 350 game discs in two of those huge cd binder things.

i thought i was the only person who loved chu chu rocket. Did you ever see the black and white japanese ad for chu chu? I'll never forget the acoustic folk guitar music, and the beutifull hand drawn cat with bloody fangs. good times. I think the dc could have gone alot different if Sega would have helped captivation get the Half-Life port done, and get CS online through seganet. You know how popular that game was.. And they should have stacked the DC with more ram ( and made it pc133) but how could sega have known how cheap sdram was gonna get..

I infiltrated Segas san fransisco corporate office with my wife. The lobby has a big mural of giant marbles on it. When we got to the main secretarys desk we were asked who we were there to see, and the only name i could think of was peter moore, the pres of SOA. She paged him, but lucky for me he was in a board meeting. After i took a bunch of pictures and posed my wife and kid in front of Sonic and Nuckles they politely told us to leave. We then went down one story to the arcade division and got to play with some demos of arcade units that weren't done yet. Then we got fully kicked out of the building, and had to walk through some really nappy crack neighboorhoods to get back to our hotel, but it was WORTH IT. :)

mr.fishie said:
skies of arcadia, enough said.

I LOVED that game, but I never even finished it! A few hours into disk two the random battles got soooo frequent I could no longer play it without wanting to rip my brain out. I should fire it up and just finish the damn thing already, I've still got my save.

Hey, I just found this old thread and thought I would interject...

Love the dreamcast, have two, might be buying a third over xmas (last time I was home a local store had the sonic adventure version new and sealed for like $50) in case one of mine ever die. Favorite console, still haven't bought a newer one. Games I have:

Armada
Bangai-O
Crazy Taxi
Chu-Chu Rocket
Ikaruga
Mr. Driller
Marvel vs Capcom
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Power Stone 2
San Francisco Rush 2049
Sega Smash Pac (4 player swirl is awesome)
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Wacky Racers

Wacky Racers and Armada are so-so, but the rest of the games are totally awesome. Dreamcast is a great buy, can get 'em for $20.

Skies of Arcadia
Grandia 2
NFL 2kX
NBA 2kX
NCAA is so-so
Shenmue
Soul Calibur (I finally tracked down a copy of this awhile ago...it cost me 25$ to get it too...this was long after the DC was dead)
DOA was o.k.
Seaman was interesting, I got my little baby seaman to say some funny things

Sega Swirl was AWESOME!!! I think I am going to lobby sega to launch that as an XBL Arcade game once I get my 360 back.

There were so many great games for dreamcast. I still want to find a dual set of the original SEGA maracas for Samba De Amigo, but whenever they go up on eBay they sell for hundreds.

Virtua Tennis, Virtua Tennis, Virtua Tennis

Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 were great also. And I can't forget Soul Calibur.

About fucking time. Virtua Tennis was THE dreamcast game to have. I had a 3 year undefeated streak. I don't know why but I was just really really good at that game.

Hey, what about dreamcast games you still want? Here's my list:

Rez
Fatal Fury: Mark Of The Wolves
Guilty Gear X
Typing of The Dead

probably going to get a copy of jet grind radio soon, they go for 1 cent new on ebay.

odoe said:
I love my dreamcast so much I have 2 just in case one ever breaks down. The dreamcast was a great system, with some great games. I can't tell you how many nights I spent burning my retinas with combos in MvC and MvC2.

I've got 5 :p

Slartibartfast said:
Hey, what about dreamcast games you still want? Here's my list:

Rez
Fatal Fury: Mark Of The Wolves
Guilty Gear X
Typing of The Dead

probably going to get a copy of jet grind radio soon, they go for 1 cent new on ebay.

Add powerstone
Seventh Cross Evolution
and you've got my list :)

Man, my Dreamcast is my second favorite system, right next to my Gamecube. It had sooo many good damn games, MVC2, Sonic adventures, this one Japanese game that was like the Game of Life (I think it translated into "The Life Game" or something).

But half the reason it failed was because piracy was as easy as downloading the ISO and burning it on a CD. No mod chip needed or anything.

Oh ya, I remember hearing something about that, but I was so young I didn't know what they were talking about.

I still have my DC. I use it for MvsC2. It's hard game to get for the Xbox or the PS2.

How about we stop talking about pirated / pirating games so this thread doesn't get locked mmmkay?

The DC was also my favorite console, even though I didn't own it for very long. I kinda wish I hadn't sold it. My sessions on the DC were probably longer than any other console I owned (all the nintendos, up to 64). Virtua tennis, NBA/NFL, Chu Chu Rocket, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, DOA, Shenmue, list goes on and on.

All this discussion makes me want to go buy one again :/

I still have my DC. I use it for MvsC2. It's hard game to get for the Xbox or the PS2.

I don't think they released it for xbox. the ps2 version is worth more than the dc version, the local eb has a used copy for $55. the sad thing is that it looks better on the dc than ps2

My fault about that...

Holy crap - Virtua Tennis. I totally forgot about that...I never knew tennis would be so fun. I remember saying to my friends, "OK just check out this tennis game, I know what your thinking, but its pretty fun". The looks on their faces were classic. After 10 mins they were hooked.

DC is my favorite console of all time.

Fav games
Street Fighter 3 Thrid Strike
Shenmue
Sonic (all of them)
MSR
Virtual tennis
Hydro thunder (lost my copy still lookin')

I know there's more.

how does the original powerstone stack up against the sequel? I have PS2 and was wondering if there's any reason to get PS1

I actually enjoy the original Power Stone more than the sequel, though the sequel is alot of fun, the single player for part one i just enjoyed more.

Back