• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dreaded 'ES' X5600 Series CPU Question

Jmtyra

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2010
Messages
266
Not to start a flame war here, as I understand the community is divided and heavily opinionated on 'ES' chips, but it's for a good cause (curing cancer) so here goes :p

For those not opposed to the idea, where would the cheapest 'ES' X5600 series Xeon CPUs be found? (Not the sources that try to sell them for roughly retail pricing...) It's for a budding F@H farm, thus helping to solve cancer, not for gaming/server/random shit.

If you don't want to get called out in the thread, shoot me a PM. ;)

Thanks in advance :cool:
 
You can really only reliably find them on Ebay. As far as I know anyway unless you know people who can get them. I've been acquainted with such individuals in the past, but not any longer.
 
Ebay is the best place to get one, That how I got my 820qm cpu and my x5570's.

Remember you cannot sell them on the forum when the time comes.
 
I'll keep surfing eBay a bit, but they seem to be almost the same as retail lately. :(

Oh -- when/if I get my hands on some, or retail if I get those cheaper, they're staying in my folding farm :D
 
I'm just curious, what are the "ES" X5600 Xeons? I've tried to search, but nothing came up other than this thread :)
 
I'm just curious, what are the "ES" X5600 Xeons? I've tried to search, but nothing came up other than this thread :)

"ES" CPUs are (E)ngineering (S)amples. Intel sends them out to hardware review sites, hardware testors, developers, etc. They are pre-production samples of the silicon. Normally they are sent out pretty close to the actual retail silicon. Sometimes they overclock better, sometimes not. One thing that makes them desirable is that they are usually multiplier unlocked. I've worked with a few of them over the years.

The funny thing is, that when these are sent out by Intel, there is an agreement with them that pretty much says that they are not for resale and are still the property of Intel. Intel may request them back at anytime. They don't typically don't ask for the return of these chips, but on occasions where Intel finds these CPUs for sale on Ebay or whatever, they can and have taken legal action to reclaim these chips. Furthermore, they won't send more samples out to whomever is reselling these CPUs. Now Intel is usually actually pretty cool about these CPUs. I've heard of cases where people have gotten them through purely incidental means and they've been sent equivalent or better retail CPUs in exchange for the ES CPU.
 
Gotcha! Thanks for the reply, and sorry for going somewhat off topic
 
Back
Top