Drawing network map

rma

Limp Gawd
Hi all

I normally use Visio 2003/2010 at work to draw different drawings and sometimes network diagrams, at home i use a old Visio 2003 to draw/plan my network setup, but i would rather go towards something other than visio, maybe Dia, wouldn't mind paying for a good program.

Anybody got any programs they would recommend and maybe a screen shot of a drawing?.

Last edited:
Rma,

I've used both Visio and Dia for network diagramming, and as far as overall aesthetics and what not, your in the same boat as comparing LibreOffice to Microsoft Office. I personally prefer Visio for the simple fact that there is better control of the text that you can enter, whether its labeling a device with its name or labeling the links. Dia does come really close to the same control but its still a bit static and takes a bit longer to achieve the same results. Also, since Visio is proprietary, the graphics are more polished.

However, i'm always looking for some good open software to replace proprietary things. Will let you know if I find anything in the next few days as I prawl the net.

-Azuroth

I do production drawings of cable harness daily with Visio, some days i do complete Rack systems in visio, but back in the old days visio was a god alternative to other CAD programs, today MS made Visio for more flow chart and management work, then actually drawing something :mad:

I do like Visio and the good graphics, but still its to expensive for home use, a license here in denmark is about ~400USD.

DIA is still missing the basic control and nice graphics, i did some drawing of a network for a non-profit organization, but it was slow and painful to do, compared to visio

Looks close to visio style icons, will try do some work with it.

Interesting, and it actual have support for importing visio files, and editing them to.

Back