Drawing Network Diagrams

zhchua

Limp Gawd
Slightly off-topic here,

What software do you guys use to draw network diagrams?

MS Paint :D

START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > PAINT (in WinXP) :D

I used to use Cisco Network Designer, but Visio 2003 has a lot of nice features - I'm starting to use that more and more.

I use Visio when i can get my hands on it but most of the time Photoshop can do the trick

I use Visio 2003 presently, works great and it's (for the most part) an industry standard. Most network equipment manufacturers have Visio stencils that you can use in your diagrams. Visio 2003 works great for databases as well, it will reverse engineer databases which is nice. Also does Active Directory & Computer Rack planning

I'll second er... third... er... fourth... er whatever. I'd recommend using Visio just as the above folks did. =)

Good program, easy to use and as has been mentioned most companies have their own stencils that you can download and add into the diagrams.

Yea, I've been drawing network diagrams with it for my classes.

Can you guys give any links to those stencils? Are they free or do you need to purchase them?

Visio is a very useufl program for doing these diagrams.

Network Notepad. freeware and does a good job....

homelan.gif

I also use Visio, since work gives it to me for free.
That network notepad looks pretty damn good for free, though.

Visio, Paint, and PowerPoint. But I'm gonna have to give that Network Notepad app a shot next time I do a diagram at the house.

Canon said:
Yea, I've been drawing network diagrams with it for my classes.

Can you guys give any links to those stencils? Are they free or do you need to purchase them?

Visio is a very useufl program for doing these diagrams.

There are a few places that actually sell the stencils, however, if you just go to a mnufacturers website and search for Visio it will usually turn up something. As well, google is a good source.

Thanks for the tip man, I found some Cisco stencils, and in the process figured out how to open extra shapes within my document instead of cutting and pasting from another document, awesome. Glad this topic came up. :);)

I've just got Visio '03.

When you double click on an icon that you placed (ie. router logo), it allows you to add a text below it.

I am unable to move that text somewhere else, does anyone know how?

zhchua said:
I've just got Visio '03.

When you double click on an icon that you placed (ie. router logo), it allows you to add a text below it.

Grab the little yellow dot and you can move it just about anywhere.

I've been using Visio 2003 alot in the last few weeks. Excellent product.

zhchua said:
I've just got Visio '03.

Create a separate Text Box and you can drag that wherever

Back