DRAM Rally

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Sadly, DRAM Rally is not a new game we will see in the future, although I am not so sure the concept is that great to begin with. However, Digitimes is reporting that the DRAM industry will fall short of demand in Q217 but will supplies will come back in Q3. So the moral of this boring news post is to go buy your DRAM now. Corsair is making a sweet 3600MHz DDR4 kit.

Nanya will have an estimated 30,000 12-inch wafers manufactured using 20nm process technology monthly in the first quarter of 2018, according to Lee. Meanwhile, Nanya's 30nm process output will reduce to 30,000 units monthly, said Lee.

Are we getting ready to see DDR4 get really cheap, only to rebound some months later?

Much like DDR2 and DDR3 have done in the past?

Are we getting ready to see DDR4 get really cheap, only to rebound some months later?

Much like DDR2 and DDR3 have done in the past?

The opposite - DRAM prices have been rising significantly for months and will continue to do so for much if not all of this year. On Dec. 5, the DDR4 8Gb 1Gx8 2133MHz average spot price was 5.3. Today, it's 6.755 (+27.5%). 4Gb was 2.62 and today is 3.33 (+27%). Prices will only increase until there is significantly more DRAM produced than demand. The run up started when Applied Materials announced there was a reduction in orders for DRAM-making equipment back in May followed by Samsung reporting they were shifting capex from DRAM to NAND (NAND supply deficit is also causing rapid increases in prices but that is more likely to resolve itself by the end of 2017).

AMD needs to hurry up and get Zen in reviewer hands. I want to stock up on memory but its hard to know what speed/timing/voltage profiles work best from teases

Isn't the sweet spot for DDR4 RAM at 3200 MHz with CAS 14 timing anyways?

Bought 2x16GB sticks last week for $155, wish I would have bought last month if it was even cheaper lol.

I will stand for all DRAM rights at this DRAM rally. Join the resistance. We will not be divided by zero!

On Dec. 5, the DDR4 8Gb 1Gx8 2133MHz average spot price was 5.3. Today, it's 6.755 (+27.5%).
4Gb was 2.62 and today is 3.33 (+27%).

Some DDR3 prices have started to drop a bit but DDR4 is holding steady at the following levels:
DDR4 8Gb 1Gx8 2133MHz average spot price: 6.927 (+2.55% in 3 weeks)
DDR4 4Gb 512Mx8 2133MHz avg. spot price: 3.436 (+3.18% in 3 weeks)

Of course DRAM prices would spike soon as Kaby Lake hits the market.

Of course DRAM prices would spike soon as Kaby Lake hits the market.
when demand increases outpace supply increases, you have price increases. Micron estimates the best case scenario (worst case for Micron) is that supply will equal demand for this year (meaning constant prices). They, however, speculate at least a 5% gap between production (lower) and consumption (higher)

Back