• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DRAM Price Drops Soon?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
While some memory makers are predicting price drops of 20%, others are saying the number will be more along the lines of 10%. Either way, the likely hood of a price reduction is strong and that means consumer should see a real world savings by the end of the first quarter.

While reporting its profit grew by 25% on year in the fourth quarter of 2006 due to strong DRAM pricing, Elpida Memory foresees intensifying price pressure in the first quarter 2007 and estimates that overall prices will drop by 20%, according to the company.
 
I'll take any decrease I can get.....Thanks for the info! :)
 
I bought 2 Gigabyte I-Rams a little less than a year ago and filled them with 4 gigs of ram each... ram that costs today twice as much as it did then. I think in 5 years we'll be reading about people going to jail, again, for price fixing. Imagine if the prices had halved in the past year instead of doubled....
 
Lame! They inflated the prices for last Christmas season and have only just begun to reduce them. I got my 2x1gb Corsair XMS 5-5-5-12 memory for $219 before $40 mail in rebate back in Aug. A month later the same memory was $100 more. Both prices were from Newegg. Don't believe for a second they memory manufacturers are doing anything special to bring the prices down. This cycle happens every year.
 
Yeah I've noticed the same ram cycle as well over the past like 5 years. It is funny that the 2x1gb sticks of ram I bought are still about the same price two years later.
 
I've found that early August is the best time for system upgrades. Usually the cheapest prices of the year on all hardware.
 
still looking to finally upgrade my emachines m6810 lappy that has 512 DDR333, but a gig stick is the same price now as 3 years ago - if not higher. I don't want to invest $100 into a 3 yr old lappy when I can get a new one for only $600 that is faster than the one I'm on now.


Hell......
 
Lame! They inflated the prices for last Christmas season and have only just begun to reduce them. I got my 2x1gb Corsair XMS 5-5-5-12 memory for $219 before $40 mail in rebate back in Aug. A month later the same memory was $100 more. Both prices were from Newegg. Don't believe for a second they memory manufacturers are doing anything special to bring the prices down. This cycle happens every year.


Its the same with gasoline,every Friday the price goes up,even more on long weekends.

:mad:

Crooks,all of them,plain and simple crooks and greedy bastards...

Its about darn time ram drops in price.
 
Man, if ram prices drop, I'd be so happy. I hope I'll be able to get decent 2gig ram for $200 instead of $280
 
Hopefully prices will go down to where they were early last year. When I built my friend's computer in April I was able to get a 2x1gb set of DDR 400 XMS for just $165 after rebate on Newegg. Same stuff now is $213 after rebate.
 
RAM prices are crazy, motherboard prices are crazy, CPU prices are a tad high but not crazy. Last time I upgraded I paid about $330 total for an Athlon CPU, Abit mobo, and 1GB dual-chanel RAM. The system does 2.4GHz on air. If it wasn't an AGP system I would not even be considering an upgrade. Ram prices need to be about $150-$175 for 2GB of fast, premium RAM...
 
I recently bought a laptop with one gig of ram (on a budget), but now I have the cash to get the other gig. I've been monitoring the prices on newegg and the ram I was looking at went down from $105 to $100 in the past month. I was wondering why the price dropped, interesting.
 
Its the same with gasoline,every Friday the price goes up,even more on long weekends.

:mad:

Crooks,all of them,plain and simple crooks and greedy bastards...

Its about darn time ram drops in price.

Thats a good analogy. Like gas, the price of RAM goes up and down like a darn roller coaster.
 
I remember a month before Core 2 launched, you could have picked up a 2gig set of G.Skill for $140. That same set is now $210, down from $250. I know there is another price fixing scandal going on, and in a few month we will see storied about CEOs going to jail for it.:mad:
 
I remember a month before Core 2 launched, you could have picked up a 2gig set of G.Skill for $140. That same set is now $210, down from $250. I know there is another price fixing scandal going on, and in a few month we will see storied about CEOs going to jail for it.:mad:

While it is easier to say that there is a price fixing scandal, it seems to me that high demand is likely the reason for the DDR2 price explosion.
 
I hope prices go down soon because I want to upgrade, but RAM is SOOO expensive compared to what it was a few months ago. :(
 
Well. I for one hate high prices but we have to keep in mind that until c2D came out there was NO real reason for DDR2. Law of supply and demand.

I remember ddr prices were higher than what we pay for ddr2 sticks. I remember buying 2 x 512 for 150. Mushkin regulars. So I don't like to see prices skyrocket but times were definitely far worse.
 
Back
Top