Dragon Quest XI (Release date: 9/4/18)

Why is this taking over a year to be released outside of JP. This isn't the 90's! Most games get released world wide within a week of each other nowadays. Anyway I grew up playing all the jrog during the SNES days but DQ games never seem to grab me.

Why is this taking over a year to be released outside of JP. This isn't the 90's! Most games get released world wide within a week of each other nowadays. Anyway I grew up playing all the jrog during the SNES days but DQ games never seem to grab me.

From the article Q-BZ posted it seems the western release is getting more voice overs compared the Japanese version. This could explain some of the delay but not all of it. The first JRPG I ever played was Dragon Warrior (Quest) 1 on NES so I have a soft spot for the franchise and traditional JRPGs in general.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/28/dragon-quest-xi-arrives-on-ps4-and-pc-in-the-us-september-4th/

Basically same info. Barring something insane, this is an easy day one buy for me.

Same here. As a JRPG fan its been salad days of late.

Dragon QUEST for the NES was the best actually but Nintendo Wii version looks fun never got around to picking it up.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Yeah that is what I meant I forgot the title changed to Dragon Quest in translation or whatever just picked up the Wii version for 14.00 on ebay.
I think the Wii version uses the same engine as Punch Out the Animations are the same basically.

Went ahead and preordered it, as this is probably my favorite JRPG series, as it doesn't bother to be bogged down with story. Got the Steam version, but kind of worried, as Square games on the PC can be hit or miss, unlike the PS4 version. That said, I was hoping for the 3DS version, as I prefer old school graphics.

Ni Nuno Kuni 2, Ys VIII...then this. What a hat trick.

This year is officially the return/resurgence/renaissance (for me) of the JRPG. I'm all over this. I really thought I was done with these kinds of games.

Ni Nuno Kuni 2, Ys VIII...then this. What a hat trick.

This year is officially the return/resurgence/renaissance (for me) of the JRPG. I'm all over this. I really thought I was done with these kinds of games.
Meh not really. Loved Y's tho. My favorite game of last year. Ni no Kuni 2 was ok at best. Still on the fence for DQXI. Like I said I could never get into them. Only one I ever beat was 7 I believe on ps1.

Last edited:
Meh not really. Loved Y's tho. My favorite game of last year. Ni no Kuni 2 was ok at best. Still in the fence for DQXI. Like I said I could never get into them. Only one I ever beat was 7 I believe on ps1.

Agree with you on Ys and Ni No Kuni 2. As for Dragon Quest, it's a series I like because it's a bare bones JRPG. You don't play it for it's story. It's like a Saturday Morning Cartoon. Simple and to the point, vs something like Final Fantasy with an overly complex plot. And this is something people either like or dislike.

Will it have decent pc (kb/m) controls ? My understanding is the latest y's port was horrible.

Will it have decent pc (kb/m) controls ? My understanding is the latest y's port was horrible.

Anyone's guess at this point about the controls but why would you want to use them over a controller on a JRPG? Also Square-Enix didn't make, publish, or port Y's VIII so that has zero bearing on the DQXI port quality.....

The majority of studios take years to localize their titles; Final Fantasy is the notable exception.

Case in point: We'll probably be two games behind on the Trails series by the time CS3 gets translated.

Different situation; localization was handled by NIS which totally f'd up the localization and porting. I'm hoping that disaster convinces Falcom to go back to XSEED for their localizations.

Regardless, Square-Enix isn't using NIS, so I expect at least a passable port.

I still remember when DQ 7 came out on psx and my buddy was super-psyched about it.

I think I said something along the lines of "looks kinda.... UGLY".

Him being the die-hard DQ/DW fan that he was, said something along the lines of:

q5OKm5X.gif

I still remember when DQ 7 came out on psx and my buddy was super-psyched about it.

I think I said something along the lines of "looks kinda.... UGLY".

Him being the die-hard DQ/DW fan that he was, said something along the lines of:

View attachment 90145

Haha I'm a big fan of DQ and even I thought the PS1 version of DQ7 was a bit hideous. Luckily, the 3DS version made the game a little more easier on the eyes.

Shock and awe is coming. A real homecoming of sorts. (That's my overall take on all the reviews, feedback, etc. if you like these kinds of games)

Well, plus we don't get the Spell of Restoration. Oh well, take what you can I guess.

I pre-ordered it from cdkeys and paid $40. Looking forward to playing it. Never played a Japan JRPG before, not even Final Fantasy.

Does anyone know how the save system works? Can you save at any time?

I pre-ordered it from cdkeys and paid $40. Looking forward to playing it. Never played a Japan JRPG before, not even Final Fantasy.

Does anyone know how the save system works? Can you save at any time?

The game auto saves frequently or you can go to a church to manually save.

Looking forward to this. Shame we haven't had much info about PC features outside of First Person and native 4K support. I really hope the game supports HDR as the colorful art style would really benefit from it.

Will definitely be waiting for reviews with tech details on the port before buying.

Looking forward to this. Shame we haven't had much info about PC features outside of First Person and native 4K support. I really hope the game supports HDR as the colorful art style would really benefit from it.

Will definitely be waiting for reviews with tech details on the port before buying.
Just buy it. Games is beautiful. Who cares about technical specs. Reviews are glowing for this game.

Shock and awe is coming. A real homecoming of sorts. (That's my overall take on all the reviews, feedback, etc. if you like these kinds of games)

For once we agree! I swear to god if they cap it @60fps, force motion blur, or add fucking DRM to STEAM im gonna lose my shit. I've been waiting so long for DQ on PC all they have to do is not be fucking idtiots...It's possible right?

Last edited:
For once we agree! I swear to god if they cap it @60fps, force motion blur, or add fucking DRM to STEAM im gonna lose my shit. I've been waiting so long for DQ on PC all they have to do is not be fucking idtiots...It's possible right?

FYI Denuvo is confirmed.

Well, UPS lost my collector's edition for the PS4. So I don't know when I'll be receiving that. (They sent me an email about that. "Sorry" was pretty much it). Fortunately, I had preordered it on Steam also, and just waiting for it to finish preparing.

Well, UPS lost my collector's edition for the PS4. So I don't know when I'll be receiving that. (They sent me an email about that. "Sorry" was pretty much it). Fortunately, I had preordered it on Steam also, and just waiting for it to finish preparing.
Let us know what you think, i'm curious regarding graphics options. Main worry is that it will be locked at 60FPS.

Uh oh. Reports on steam forum don't look promising. No graphics options, no mouse support in menus...

Back