Dragon Age - PC or PS3 version?

Jared701

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm wondering if one platform is better for this game.

My computer is a quad core (don't remember the number) overclocked to 3.8, 8 gigs of ram and a gfx 260OC if that makes a difference. I'm wondering if my graphics card would slow down the game? Are there mods for the pc version that would make it better?

pc- you're really wondering whether a system with a 4 year old gpu and 256 mb of ram will run the game better than your quad core and dx10 card?

really?

PC if only so you can get the max zoom out for planning AOE spell placement. :D

Plus all the other reasons mentioned above. I hope you end up liking it as much as most of us have in this thread here.....

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1465763

On my 3rd playthrough now, and still enjoying it. :D

pc- you're really wondering whether a system with a 4 year old gpu and 256 mb of ram will run the game better than your quad core and dx10 card?

really?

If the PC version was coded poorly and was done efficiently on the PS3 then it could run better on the PS3. From all the responses though obviously I'll go with the PC version.

Thanks for the responses guys. I assumed the PC version would be better but wanted some input before buying just in case.

The PC has an awesome user interface. Definitely no consolitis whatsoever. Bioware did an epic job on this game.

PC

without a doubt, especially with that rig.
QFT
I'm wondering if one platform is better for this game.

My computer is a quad core (don't remember the number) overclocked to 3.8, 8 gigs of ram and a gfx 260OC if that makes a difference. I'm wondering if my graphics card would slow down the game? Are there mods for the pc version that would make it better?
I posted a picture in the PC Discussions forum showing benchmarks. This game is probably the heaviest threaded PC game ever released. Quad Cores absolutely destroy this game. You will be absolutely fine with highest settings and max AA (which believe me, with this game you will want).

The game was made for PC. The game would have been released a long time ago if it was a PC only game.

Plus there are plenty of modded things you can add on or create for the PC version.

The game plays differently on consoles. The fighting is simplified. On the PC there is more strategy involved and once you figure out how to fight its a satisfying experience. Plus you have a good PC so you will be able to enjoy the game on the PC.

If the PC version was coded poorly and was done efficiently on the PS3 then it could run better on the PS3. From all the responses though obviously I'll go with the PC version.

Thanks for the responses guys. I assumed the PC version would be better but wanted some input before buying just in case.

in this case, its the console versions that are poorly coded. lots of slowdown late in the game, and da:eek: does not look particularly good on the consoles.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

You could drop the PC down to Easy difficulty and play it like console with little pausing.

Is this a troll thread? :p Of course PC if its an option.

Not a troll thread. Sorry I asked such an obvious question guys... I'm not huge into RPGs and saw the game of the year thread and how many people said dragon age so thought I'd look into this game.

When I read the thread title, it made me grin.
Absolute no brainer, PC version.
The PS3 version really chugs when there is a lot of action on screen and the fighting is simplified.
Depends what you want I suppose but given that you asked in a PC forum, you are probably getting the right advice.

Yes, there are even higher res mods for PC, your hardware is perfect for running them!

There is nothing wrong with this question. Every time a game is released multi-platform it is a fair question. The PC version isn't always the best.

I actually have both and the PC version simply destroys the PS3. The only justification I can think of is if you had to play it on a 58" LCD on the couch. But for all intents and purposes you can do the same thing with a PC it's amoot point.

The PS3 version looks like shit, plays like shit and frankly was not worth the Warhawk (1 dollar) trade in.

this was a made for PC game, I don't see why there's even a question

Both console ports of this game are absolutely terrible. They're practically unplayable.

I have the PS3 version and think its awesome. The UI is incredibly easy to use, and the view angle does nothing to prevent me from enjoying this game completely. Admitedly you have to get use to pressing the L2 button to pause and bring up the UI for spells, abilities, etc. ...but after a few hours its easy cheesy and doesn't get in the way at all.

this game was made for PC first and foremost, that's plain as day when you look over the control scheme for it and how many options there are to use.

True enough most multiplatform games are developed with the principle of lowest common denominator in mind, but thankfully Dragon Age was designed for the PC and simply ported to consoles.

If you have the option for either you'd be insane to get anything other than the PC version, in fact you'd be insane to go for any console version of a multiplatform game come to think of it, but especially so with DAO.

All games should be written for the PC then dumbed down for the consoles...there is no reason why this shouldnt be the case.

LOL at all games being created for the PC and then ported. If you look at where the user base and subscriber base is these days, it's the opposite.

As for Dragon Age, the PC version can display a lot more enemies at once and they'll take advantage of that by giving you some pretty wacky situations that are borderline unwinnable (on "normal") with certain chracters. The consoles on the other hand are the opposite. The crazy battles from the PC are absolutely a cakewalk. You can watch YouTube videos of fights that'll get you killed in 10 seconds on the PC with players running circles around bosses.
You PC should have no issue running the game. The only things that are really downsides of the PC version are:

1. The difficulty is uneven. Normal is extremely difficult unless you play as certain characters. However, easy is too easy. The game pretty much WANTS you to use exploits in their own AI to win many battles.

2. The fonts are really small with no real fix (other than some homemade ones) in sight. Check the Bioware forums and note how many people are complaining about font sizes at high resolutions. There are a lot of people that are actually forced to play at a lower resolution just to read.

3. I personally feel the controls are backwards. You do almost everything with the right mouse button and when you reverse the controls, suddently everything in the menus gets reversed, too. It just seems odd how little you use the left mouse button, and for no real reason.

Still, the console AI is horrible and while the controls aren't bad - the PC version clearly has the better GUI. I do like the radial menu on the consoles, though. It might be nice if the PC version had it as an option, too.

The PC version allows more enemies on the screen, has friendly fire enabled, full party control, isometric view, better graphics, possible higher resolution, and better framerates. This game was coded better on PC vs. PS3.

The PC version with both control and look considerably better. Plus it's more customizable and first to get fixes usually via the mod system.

Three things consoles are notoriously crap at compared to a PC, Graphics are years behind the current PC tech (granted on release they are a few months ahead), Game content has to be cut in some way as there is too much for a console to handle (only seems to happen with games that started life out as a PC title though), and they suck when it comes to FPS style games.

The other thing I can think of is the regular copy of any PC game compared to the console version is normally $10-20 difference, the PC collectors edition is the same price as the regular console edition...just get the PC version, not only are you saving money, but your getting a better end product.

Not a chuffing clue if the console has custom tactics, to be honest I don't care either, I'll take my PC over my consoles any day for RPG's and FPS's.

Last edited:
PS3 obviously. The Cell processor is 100x more powerful than any PC in the world, ever, making it a no brainer.*

*This statement has been brought to you by MadeUpBullshit and has no basis in reality.

Back