Downsides to sharing internet connection?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
So I'm moving into a new place this month. Its a small cottage/pool house also on the same property as the landlord (maybe 30-50 feet from his back door). He's a pretty cool guy and when I was there this past weekend paying him the deposit, I asked him about his internet. Apparently he has Fios (Verizon) and doesn't really use it at all. He's not well versed in computers and that kind of stuff.

Since everything is already included in rent (minus internet), I figured I'd ask about paying a few extra bucks a month for access to his internet to get rid of one less bill. He said that he's fine with it, but I'm likely going to have to set it up since he wouldn't know where to begin, which is fine with me.

With that said, what are the downsides? Assuming I get a good wireless signal, I'm guessing that I could run a switch or router of some sort to convert the wireless signal back into a wired ethernet type setup. Anyone have experience with something like this? If it's going to be a pain in the ass, I might just opt for a DSL service.

Depending on what his router is..where located, ...you may be able to get internet via wireless from the cabana you're renting, from his Verizon gateway. I have my AT&T U-Verse gateway and my wireless router down in my finished basement in the bar..of the main house. I have a large back yard and a cabana/pool house in the back...I can catch the wireless signal just fine.

If for some reason...no, if I had to get good internet to my cabana house..my next approach would be using ethernet over powerline adapters...since the cabana/pool house most likely has electrical fed from underground conduit from the main house like mine is. I already use them in my main house to feed my gaming computer up on the 3rd floor...they work great.

Back