Downscaling a Higher Resolution

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I game at 2560x1440 but I heard it's possible to set a resolution higher than my monitor allows and have it downscale to improve graphics. How would I do this? What tool do you guys use to do this? I understand a loss of performance is expected. My spec is in my sig.

Built into both nVidia and AMD drivers, or GeDoSaTo (higher quality, more options, probably a bit slower).

On the AMD side it's called 'Virtual Super Resolution', on the nVidia side 'Dynamic Super-Resolution'.

VSR must be enabled in the Catalyst Control Center (CCC), it's a checkbox under Properties (Digital Flat-Panel). Then higher resolutions should be exposed in game, you just select them in-game as normal.

I'm sure nVidia-side is similar.

You're probably better off asking in the graphics cards forum.

Last edited:
Built into both nVidia and AMD drivers, or GeDoSaTo (higher quality, more options, probably a bit slower).

On the AMD side it's called 'Virtual Super Resolution', on the nVidia side 'Dynamic Super-Resolution'.

VSR must be enabled in the Catalyst Control Center (CCC), it's a checkbox under Properties (Digital Flat-Panel). Then higher resolutions should be exposed in game, you just select them in-game as normal.

I'm sure nVidia-side is similar.

You're probably better off asking in the graphics cards forum.

I would like to do it via CCC if possible but I don't have a VSR option in Digital Flat Planel. Any ideas?

CCC_VSR.jpg

It was introduced with the Omega Driver (14.12) so assuming you're on it I guess it must be a hardware restriction. It's supposed to appear to the right of "Enable GPU up-scaling".

(I don't actually have signatures enabled so I have no idea of what hardware you're running)

I don't know if ATI ever added support for older cards like nVidia did with DSR and the 700 series.

No wonder that option never works on my 670.
Why it even shows up for me is pretty stupid, if I can't use it... Oh well, Gedosato works beautifully(And doesn't hang my system like accessing the stupid nvidia control panel...).

DSR works all the way to Fermi I thought, I used to be able to activate DSR on my 570 even.

DSR works all the way to Fermi I thought, I used to be able to activate DSR on my 570 even.

What? How? In what game?
It has NEVER worked for me, in anything. DX9, DX11, nothing. Just a useless option in the control panel.

Hi,

I game at 2560x1440 but I heard it's possible to set a resolution higher than my monitor allows and have it downscale to improve graphics. How would I do this? What tool do you guys use to do this? I understand a loss of performance is expected. My spec is in my sig.

Your only option is GeDoSaTo since you're running a 7970. AMD's VSR tech is only available officially for the R9 290(x) and R9 285.

I'll check out GeDoSaTO if that's my only option. I understand my 7970 isn't the newest card but I don't consider it that old and certainly no slug in gaming. I am disappointed that the option isn't available for me in CCC.

What? How? In what game?
It has NEVER worked for me, in anything. DX9, DX11, nothing. Just a useless option in the control panel.

You will have to activate each individual DSR scaling option in nVidia CP, (there should be 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.78x etc all the way up to 4x).

Then go in game, set your in game resolution to the resolution you want to downsample from, and the GPU should take care of it.

You might need to use a little DSR smooth for all resolution that is not 4x DSR, as the non-integer scaling will blur the image, DSR smooth (set arounf 10~15% should help sharpen any blurs).

You will have to activate each individual DSR scaling option in nVidia CP, (there should be 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.78x etc all the way up to 4x).

Then go in game, set your in game resolution to the resolution you want to downsample from, and the GPU should take care of it.

You might need to use a little DSR smooth for all resolution that is not 4x DSR, as the non-integer scaling will blur the image, DSR smooth (set arounf 10~15% should help sharpen any blurs).

Maybe on your 970, but nothing of the sort happens with my 670.
I just tried it again with MGS:GZ, set it to 2.0X and the highest res available in game is still 1080 with no visual difference at all. It simply does nothing on my card. (I turned every single setting on as well, and that also had no effect)

That's odd, I'll have a look later, I am positive that I saw DSR being enabled on older CPUs, and was surprised 570 was part of the DSR support.

I don't have that game though so it could be game specific, I vaguely remember trying it on D3 with 570, and it definitely did not work on Doom 3 even on 970.

Hi,

AMD is adding in support at a later date for your card I believe. There is a hacked driver that enables it if you are adventurous and have Windows 8.1. It takes the Windows 10 driver that already has it and makes it work in 8.1.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=397877

I just tried it again with MGS:GZ, set it to 2.0X and the highest res available in game is still 1080 with no visual difference at all. It simply does nothing on my card. (I turned every single setting on as well, and that also had no effect)

Odd because I was using it with my 670's in SLI before I got my 970's.

It was limited a bit due to the power of the cards and memory, but it did work.

It made FFXIV look pretty stellar.

Might want to search through the NV forums here for DSR and check out some of the comments and problems being noted. Apparently there are some situations where the setting wont show up (SLI, G-Sync, etc), and maybe you can debug your issues by reading some of those posts).

Last edited:
Just checked, 570 does have DSR options.

The only instance I know DSR will not show up is when you have SLI and G-Sync monitor connected. Just an SLI or a G-Sync monitor will still get DSR to show up

Check all of the DSR options available. I'm pretty sure that 2.0x up from 1080p will be a non-standard resolution that not all games will recognize and/or support. You should be fine with 1.78x (2560x1440) and 4x (3840x2160), however.

Check all of the DSR options available. I'm pretty sure that 2.0x up from 1080p will be a non-standard resolution that not all games will recognize and/or support. You should be fine with 1.78x (2560x1440) and 4x (3840x2160), however.

Nope.
Doesn't work at all. Every option. On every game I've tried. (Last night: MGS:GZ, Strider, DS, DS2)
You guys didn't read what I said. Having the option is not the issue. It's the fact that it does nothing on my setup.

I have a 670 and it works. I set it up individually for each game through GeForce experience or whatever it's called.

Nope.
Doesn't work at all. Every option. On every game I've tried. (Last night: MGS:GZ, Strider, DS, DS2)
You guys didn't read what I said. Having the option is not the issue. It's the fact that it does nothing on my setup.

Maybe try DDU'ing the driver and reinstalling it?

Back