Downsampling vs Native resolution. Does downsampling look better?

Hello, for example we use a LG 34UM65. If we head on and run downsampling @ 3440x1440 will the image look crispier and better then a native 3440x1440 ? Somone was fighting with me because he's like "My 2560x1080 does have a far more brilliant picture quality @ 3440x1440 then its bigger brother (34UM95) with downsampling at the exact same resolution.

your friend is either an idiot or fucking with you. downsampling is forcing an application to run at a higher resolution than the native resolution of the monitor you're using and then scaling it back down to native. this makes the image sharper and is a form of anti aliasing. it's also known as supersampling and is the opposite of upsampling/upscaling. it is NOT the same as having a native panel of the same resolution. the 34UM95 looks better than his because his physically has less pixels than it does, meaning his can only ever display 2.8 MP worth of information, while the 34UM95 can display 5 MP worth of information. it also displays more colors than his.

i can make my 2560x1440 monitor display 3840x2160. does that make it a 4K monitor? nope.

Last edited:
34UM95 @ native 3440x1440 vs 34UM65 @3440x1440 Downsampled (before 2560x1080).

And thanks Odellus, i hope he will see that his arguments are invalid.

But where is the image coming from? A bluray player, a computer video stream, etc.?

You could always one up him and use supersampling yourself, provided you have the GPU power to back it up.

In my experience downsampling (where display or gpu does the scaling for signal) pretty much only usable in situations where other aa forms fail. The quality is quite poor (compared to actual supersampling) on screen and it is much blurrier than native resolution. It will only look good in screenshots but not on display in my opinion. It will never give crisper image nor make it sharper, no way. It does help with aliasing and motion aliasing though but it will cause blur and is far from supersampling when it comes to quality. Whole point in downsampling is to fake supersampling. Supersampling or antialiased image can never be as sharp as aliased image.

Tools like GeDoSaTo is another matter, that is more or less comparable to OGSSAA.

In my experience downsampling (where display or gpu does the scaling for signal) pretty much only usable in situations where other aa forms fail. The quality is quite poor (compared to actual supersampling) on screen and it is much blurrier than native resolution. It will only look good in screenshots but not on display in my opinion. It will never give crisper image nor make it sharper, no way. It does help with aliasing and motion aliasing though but it will cause blur and is far from supersampling when it comes to quality. Whole point in downsampling is to fake supersampling. Supersampling or antialiased image can never be as sharp as aliased image.

Tools like GeDoSaTo is another matter, that is more or less comparable to OGSSAA.
This is a joke post, right?

Back