Downoad Speeds?

Malikman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey i chedked my dsl report and it said i got 961 down and 460 up what download speeds should this get... i currently get 50kb/sec is that correct... i brly get 50kb/sec too :( i was wondering fi it's possible to get highe rdownload speeds as i download a lot.

The speed report more than likely told you the maximum downstream speed you can attain in Kbps. The download speed you are used to looking at while downloading something from most web-browsers is telling you the downstream speed in KBps.

The capital B makes all the difference.

Not accounting for overhead packets (downloads are never just downloads, not in practice anyway, all sorts of other packets are being passed around, at the least, acknowledgements of the data recieved get passed on the wire) you should be able to get a maximum of 120.125 KBps downloads. 961Kbps / 8 = 120.125 KBps.

Assuming overhead and other nastiness is present, you could reasonably expect to get up to 100KBps as your maximum from an ideal download.

You have no real control over this though, with a consumer grade WAN-link. You can only control where you download things from. Try doing a download from Microsoft (in about a week, it was Patch Tuesday yesterday), or a large download from say, MajorGeeks. 50KBps is not a truely worrying download speed for your connection though.

is there a way to make it higher people who shell out the same for dsl/comcast are saying they get above 100 kb/sec ... would this be there area? beuase even with comcast i was getting these speeds mostly.

Remember, the source has a lot to do with it. Dont trust P2P, torrents for a fair judgement of download speed. Try from major servers, such as Microsoft and file hosts.

i know but i just would enjoy a little fater maybe 100kb/sec or so ya know... and i was just wondering if it was possible for me but as the above post i'm about rihgt were is hould be so yea..

Back