Downloaditkeep

safehaven

Limp Gawd
I am getting temp internet files with the file extension downloaditkeep. I have also found it associated with my Thunderbird mail files.

I believe that the downloaditkeep malware itself is no longer present on my Win7 machine. However, I do believe it is causing some residual issues.

I get hundreds of cab_xxx files in my Windows/temp folder that say that the are downloaditkeep files. Each file is 1.5gb in size and eventually eats up all of the free space on the drive. I think these files should probably have their own file type, but since they don't, the computer doesn't know to discard them. I have to manually delete these files when I get the disk low warning. Furthermore, I have accidentally deleted the files associated with Thunderbird, which compete wiped out all of me email.

I'm no expert by any means, but my best guess is that these files are still associated incorrectly in the registry. A registry search for "downloaditkeep" yielded a half dozen or so hits.

I have read numerous websites detailing how to rid your computer of the scourge. But, none of them mention the registry. And I don't recongize any of these sites as being a legitimate source for help (not saying that they are not legit, I just have never heard of them).

Is there a registry cleaner that will fix this? Can I manually fix it some how?

Thanks.

Malwarebytes and MSE both do not detect any threats. I have run both many times. That is why I think that I am not infected, but have something residual effing me up.

Back