Download Vista x64 image? (Legal)

SidewinderX

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I have Vista Business (32 bit), and I was going to build a system soon that I'd like to put the 64 bit version on... I know my same key will work for both versions, but I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to just download the disc image and burn it myself for x64, as opposed to having to order the media (and pay shipping and handling) for the DVD from microsoft.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I have Vista Business (32 bit), and I was going to build a system soon that I'd like to put the 64 bit version on... I know my same key will work for both versions, but I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to just download the disc image and burn it myself for x64, as opposed to having to order the media (and pay shipping and handling) for the DVD from microsoft.

Thanks!

I don't think MS offer a download service for Vista. Any other means would most likely be off limits for discussion.

If you bought the version that comes with the 32bit copy its valid only for that 32bit copy. Downloading a 64bit version and using your 32bit key would be considered illegal.

If you bought the version that comes with the 32bit copy its valid only for that 32bit copy. Downloading a 64bit version and using your 32bit key would be considered illegal.

Depending on his license, that may not be true. The only version that doesn't say whether you can use the same key on either bitversion is OEM; even then it doesn't outright say you can't do it. Hell, MS even offers a method to obtain alternate media for non-OEM copies on their website. You just have to pay shipping.

If you have a legitimate Product Key for Windows Vista, it doesn't matter which version you want to install be it 32 bit or 64 bit because the one legitimate Product key you have is good for both the 32 bit and 64 bit flavors of whatever edition you plan to install.

Period.

One key, works for both. The trick is you have to have the exact same release of Vista, meaning if it's a 32 bit Retail version of Vista Business, then you can use that same exact Product Key to install the 64 bit Retail version of Vista Business - but that Retail key will not work with any OEM release, say an OEM System Builder copy of Vista Business.

Hope that makes sense as it seems to be one of the most confusing things about Vista ever. There's one key for each legitimate copy, and that one legitimate key is good for either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of whichever edition of Vista it's tied to. Retail keys won't work for OEM releases, and vice versa.

Think of a Vista Product Key like two keys to your apartment, or your car. Take one of the keys and write "32 bit" on it, then take the other key and write "64 bit" on it - there ya go. Same keys, they work the same way, they just won't open your neighbor's door or start up his car (he's got a different edition, so to speak). :)

If you have a legitimate Product Key for Windows Vista, it doesn't matter which version you want to install be it 32 bit or 64 bit because the one legitimate Product key you have is good for both the 32 bit and 64 bit flavors of whatever edition you plan to install.

Period.

One key, works for both. The trick is you have to have the exact same release of Vista, meaning if it's a 32 bit Retail version of Vista Business, then you can use that same exact Product Key to install the 64 bit Retail version of Vista Business - but that Retail key will not work with any OEM release, say an OEM System Builder copy of Vista Business.

Hope that makes sense as it seems to be one of the most confusing things about Vista ever. There's one key for each legitimate copy, and that one legitimate key is good for either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of whichever edition of Vista it's tied to. Retail keys won't work for OEM releases, and vice versa.

Think of a Vista Product Key like two keys to your apartment, or your car. Take one of the keys and write "32 bit" on it, then take the other key and write "64 bit" on it - there ya go. Same keys, they work the same way, they just won't open your neighbor's door or start up his car (he's got a different edition, so to speak). :)

There's nothing confusing about it. The key tells the installer what version you have. It also tells you what license it's under. You don't need to know anything more about it other than whether the disc you have is 64-bit or 32-bit.

Now, some OEM labled discs (e.g. Dell, HP etc) might be limited to which edition (e.g. Home Premium) they have available to install, but those I consider custom discs.

I don't really know why Microsoft doesn't allow you to download Vista free - it purposefully has a trial mode, and you can't unlock it for good without a key. They've offered trial versions of other OSes. And if people are trying to pirate it, they're not going to download it from Microsoft in the first place.

I don't really know why Microsoft doesn't allow you to download Vista free - it purposefully has a trial mode, and you can't unlock it for good without a key. They've offered trial versions of other OSes. And if people are trying to pirate it, they're not going to download it from Microsoft in the first place.

A good clean source for an iso to start from, are you kidding? Pirates would be slamming the site like crazy. The only other OS's they've offere free trials for are the server OS's and XP Pro. x64. The consumer level OS's are going to get push out onto the market through Dell and HP and such. But the server level OS's wouldn't, so they need to risk the piracy to get their new OS pushed out.

There's nothing confusing about it. The key tells the installer what version you have. It also tells you what license it's under. You don't need to know anything more about it other than whether the disc you have is 64-bit or 32-bit.

Now, some OEM labled discs (e.g. Dell, HP etc) might be limited to which edition (e.g. Home Premium) they have available to install, but those I consider custom discs.

The confusion happens when people think they need a new key just to install the 64 bit version of the particular edition of Vista they bought/received/own. That's what my post was meant to allay, to make it easier to understand there's only one key that matters and it works for both versions of whatever edition the person has, meaning 32 bit or 64 bit versions of the edition.

I made a clarity post a long time ago just before Vista hit store shelves to help people understand:

Editions = Vista Home, Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, Enterprise, the N-Editions for Europe, etc.

Releases = OEM System Builder or Retail boxed

Versions = 32 bit or 64 bit

So, as long as you have the exact same edition and it's the same release format, the key will install either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of that specific release edition.

Simple. ;)

You're still making it more complicated than it needs to be. Instead of saying:
So, as long as you have the exact same edition and it's the same release format, the key will install either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of that specific release edition

which gives the impression that the user has to find a Vista Home Premium Upgrade disc for his Vista Home Premium Upgrade Key in order to install.

say this;
So, as long as you have any 32 or 64 bit Vista disc provided by Microsoft your key will work. The edition or release (I prefer license) doesn't matter, the installer will figure it out.

But that's not the case, unfortunately. An upgrade disc isn't the same as a regular 'full' install disc, there are differences in what's on the media. I have a Gateway Vista Home Premium DVD here, the one that came with a laptop a client purchased last summer. I also have a Gateway Vista Home Premium Express Upgrade DVD here - and yes I know the word "Express" makes it seem weird or different but that's not quite accurate, it's just an OEM "upgrade" disc, has the same contents a retail upgrade DVD would have.

The two DVDs are not the same and differ by 14 files and 39MB of code someplace. I'm not going to do a file comparison anytime soon, suffice to say the contents of the two discs aren't the same, and I'm quite certain that the differences in total content on the discs also means the same key wouldn't work for both. We all know the key determines what's being installed, but when the two discs are inherently different, there's something more going on than just a key-reading mechanism.

That's just my take on it...

But that's not the case, unfortunately. An upgrade disc isn't the same as a regular 'full' install disc, there are differences in what's on the media. I have a Gateway Vista Home Premium DVD here, the one that came with a laptop a client purchased last summer. I also have a Gateway Vista Home Premium Express Upgrade DVD here - and yes I know the word "Express" makes it seem weird or different but that's not quite accurate, it's just an OEM "upgrade" disc, has the same contents a retail upgrade DVD would have.

The two DVDs are not the same and differ by 14 files and 39MB of code someplace. I'm not going to do a file comparison anytime soon, suffice to say the contents of the two discs aren't the same, and I'm quite certain that the differences in total content on the discs also means the same key wouldn't work for both. We all know the key determines what's being installed, but when the two discs are inherently different, there's something more going on than just a key-reading mechanism.

That's just my take on it...

Keyword there being Gateway. I said MS supplied. All bets are off when it's an OEM supplied disc. I've used discs labeled upgrade, OEM, and one that was a full retail disc and they all worked the same way with both an OEM key and a Upgrade key.

More than likely, the Gateway Express disc is your regular average every day Vista disc with Gateway slapped on it. The other is a custom disc from gateway with necessary drivers, certificates, branding, etc.

I think I am understanding this, but I want to be completely clear before I proceed.

When I built my system I bought the OEM(System Builder) of Vista Premium 32bit. If I got my hands on a OEM Vista Premium 64bit, I could use the 64bit installation CD with my 32bit product key and use the 64bit version of Vista?

Sounds right to me from what I have read. Just want to be perfectly clear.

Thanks

I think I am understanding this, but I want to be completely clear before I proceed.

When I built my system I bought the OEM(System Builder) of Vista Premium 32bit. If I got my hands on a OEM Vista Premium 64bit, I could use the 64bit installation CD with my 32bit product key and use the 64bit version of Vista?

Sounds right to me from what I have read. Just want to be perfectly clear.

Thanks

Potential licensing issues aside, yes it will work, activate, and pass validation.

Potential licensing issues aside, yes it will work, activate, and pass validation.

Is there another (legal) way of obtaining a OEM Premium 64bit version other than purchasing it? I looked around the MS upgrade program website a while back, but didn't get too in depth. I am looking to build a PC for a friend and he wants the 64bit version. Thought I could upgrade mine at the same time. Means I wouldn't have a disk and would have to borrow it all the time, but if there is a legal way of getting a copy of the 64bit version and do away with my 32bit version then that would be better.

Is there another (legal) way of obtaining a OEM Premium 64bit version other than purchasing it? I looked around the MS upgrade program website a while back, but didn't get too in depth. I am looking to build a PC for a friend and he wants the 64bit version. Thought I could upgrade mine at the same time. Means I wouldn't have a disk and would have to borrow it all the time, but if there is a legal way of getting a copy of the 64bit version and do away with my 32bit version then that would be better.

I'm of the opinion that MS just doesn't support OEM licenses and therefore doesn't supply alternate media. So IMHO, you'd be just fine using your friends 64bit disk and your key to get what you want (it is afterall perfectly okay with retail licenses).

Others here say it's illegal to do that.

For some reason I think I am the only one who understood the OP. Weird.

OP, while I don't think that it's ok with Microsoft to do what you're asking, I think it technically ok to do this because the laws are concerned with your license to use the product, not the origin of the disc/image (for example you legally can borrow a friends disc and use YOUR license and still have a completely LEGIT copy of Vista).

BTW this is only for a retail license, not OEM.

Acquiring the media through any non-legit method means it's still not legit, not legal, etc. It doesn't matter if someone has a legal legit purchase, or a receipt, or a license, or the retail box, or an OEM Product Key, period. The issue comes from two things: one means you need the key, the second means you need the media - and the media can come in the form of an ISO you can burn to a blank optical media disc (CD or DVD depending on the OS size) or it can come on a pressed hologram optical disc (CD or DVD depending on the OS).

There are no other ways to legitimately acquire Vista aside from:

- buying it from Microsoft online (download the disc image in ISO format)
- buying it in a retail B&M outlet (could be Retail box pressed hologram disc or even an OEM pressed hologram disc)
- ordering it from a retailer online (nobody sells digital downloads except Microsoft so you'd be buying a pressed hologram disc)
- you acquire it from an educational institution as a student/faculty (pressed hologram disc or download of the disc image in ISO format over the school's network)
- an MSDN/Technet subscription (if you read the terms of those subscriptions, the software isn't supposed to be used in personal situations like your home or your laptop, etc unless you're a developer, believe it or not) that allows for disc image ISO downloads
- get it for free from Microsoft for attending some program or seminar event in real-life or even online (NFR - Not For Resale editions as pressed hologram media)
- maybe one or two methods I just can't think of at this moment...

and that's about it. Acquiring the disc image from any other sources is where it crosses the line. You've got a Product Key and misplaced your CD/DVD? Going to get a copy of your friend's hologram CD/DVD? It's illegal. You're copying software that you don't legally have a license for - the disc you do have a license for is missing, remember? If it wasn't illegal to "just make a copy of the disc because I have the legit Product Key already" then the discs wouldn't be stamped "Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Disc."

Microsoft doesn't go after people for printing out billions of Product Keys - generating those is actually pretty easy to do. They go after people making copies of the media for distribution - meaning "just make a copy of the disc because <insert irrational concept here>"

The simple answer to the OP's simple question is: No, there is no way to download Vista Business x64 from Microsoft, period.

You can acquire it in many ways in this day and age, but only one way - from Microsoft per the $10 thing for shipping/handling/media costs - is legit.

Bump for an excellent thread.

I want to do vista home premium primarily for media center but I want the freedom to switch from x64 to x86 if things go badly on the driver or compatibility front and it looks like I can do that if I pay MSFT for the DVD, if I read the thread correctly, which is fine with me.

I notice on this page that you can order x86 CD or x64 DVD but no x86 DVD. So I have to get the retail x86 DVD AND pay MSFT for the x64 DVD plus all the time it takes to get these things if I want DVD versions of both. That's a pretty big hassle, still saving lots of money over just buying ultimate right?

Oh and by the way, does the upgrade versions factor into this discussion at all? I have OEM copies of XP Pro x86 and x64 both and would like to get vista in an upgrade form to save money again.

If youre buying Vista64 for a friend, just make a copy of his install DVD and be done with it.

Vista will install and activate without a problem with your 32bit key. Now this does violate the OEM EULA, if you have no issues doing so, go right ahead.

On a side note.. I was under the impression that all MS (issued) Vista disks where created equal?

I've used retail license and oem licenses with a technet install disk without issues?

and that's about it. Acquiring the disc image from any other sources is where it crosses the line. You've got a Product Key and misplaced your CD/DVD? Going to get a copy of your friend's hologram CD/DVD? It's illegal. You're copying software that you don't legally have a license for - the disc you do have a license for is missing, remember? If it wasn't illegal to "just make a copy of the disc because I have the legit Product Key already" then the discs wouldn't be stamped "Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Disc."

Microsoft doesn't go after people for printing out billions of Product Keys - generating those is actually pretty easy to do. They go after people making copies of the media for distribution - meaning "just make a copy of the disc because <insert irrational concept here>"

The simple answer to the OP's simple question is: No, there is no way to download Vista Business x64 from Microsoft, period.

You can acquire it in many ways in this day and age, but only one way - from Microsoft per the $10 thing for shipping/handling/media costs - is legit.

I think you're contradicting yourself a bit though with this line of thought. Yes, the CD says "Do not make illegal copies of this disc", so if you make a copy of it, someone could say that's illegal.

But you also are pointing out that making a copy of a CD for yourself if you lost the CD or if you need the 64-bit version is illegal... I tend to disagree. You say right there that "They go after people making copies for distribution". Of course. Making a copy for yourself though is not distribution. It's installing Vista legally with your own product key. Of course if you have a friend that has the CD, why not just borrow it from him? Not really a necessity to copy the CD since when's the next time you'll have to reinstall?

That being said, when I wanted the x64 version of Home Premium for my desktop when I got 4 gigs of RAM, I sent to Microsoft for the original 64-bit version, so now I have 2 Home Premium CD's, one 32-bit and one 64-bit. I don't know how much it was in the US, but I actually had it shipped to me here in Mexico, and I think it wasn't more than $5 bucks. Pretty good deal IMO, and it only took about a week to get to me.

Edit: Wow, didn't realize I was replying to a 7 month old thread.... way to go bumper.

And you said my post was contradictory? Sheesh...

The fact remains (and yes it seems this thread has been dredged up from the dead):

If you're a legit owner, Microsoft isn't going to come bashing your door down because you make a backup copy of the installation media for your own personal use. If you happen to make a copy for a friend, even if that friend is a legit owner of the OS the installation media is designed to install, congrats, you just became an illegal software distributor. It doesn't matter if you particularly agree with the fact, all that remains is it is a fact and you just crossed that line.

If you're not a legit owner, you shouldn't have a copy of the installation media, period.

If you acquired a copy of the hologram installation media from someone "just because" and yet you're not legally entitled to have it, that's obviously where the problems come from.

I'll admit that again, Microsoft isn't going to come bashing your door in if you're a legit owner and you happened to acquire a copy of the installation media after the fact because perhaps your original hologram disc was misplaced, or something of a similar vein. If you chose not to purchase it directly from them and instead perhaps downloaded an ISO of the installation media, there's not much anyone can do about it - but that doesn't make it legit which is the crux of this argument. People drive 26 MPH in a 25 MPH zone and think nothing of it, but the letter of the law entitles them to be ticketed for doing so. This is really no different in the long run...

But if you've got a copy "just because" someone gave it to you that's the other story and where the crossing the line happens.

Ok, let's let this one die...

OK so I shouldn't have brought this thread up again but this here is where I found discussion by using the search that you can legally switch between x86 and x64 and the means to do it. So with no one answering my question I guess ill start a new thread with just that...

Clearly there are at least three people here that can't read the thread through before they reply!!!

OK so I shouldn't have brought this thread up again but this here is where I found discussion by using the search that you can legally switch between x86 and x64 and the means to do it. So with no one answering my question I guess ill start a new thread with just that...

Clearly there are at least three people here that can't read the thread through before they reply!!!

Easy... wasn't it already answered? You can obtain a 64-bit CD Install from Microsoft and all you pay is shipping and you use your original Product key... simple and legal.

Accusing others of not being able to read.....

What is implied is you CAN'T order x86 DVD, least not through MSFT, but you could order it on multiple CD's for PITA. I wish to attempt x64 FIRST and then only go down to x86 if there is trouble, hopefully never. Unfortunately it seems there is no vista home premium x64 upgrade so the upgrade point I was asking does factor in.

What is implied is you CAN'T order x86 DVD, least not through MSFT, but you could order it on multiple CD's for PITA. I wish to attempt x64 FIRST and then only go down to x86 if there is trouble, hopefully never. Unfortunately it seems there is no vista home premium x64 upgrade so the upgrade point I was asking does factor in.

So order the CDs and be done with it.

NEXT!!!

That would be the most logical solution....it's not but $10 bucks and takes less than a week to deliver. If you have someone that has the disk, use it....the software is not in question, it's ownership of the license that is the key issue. I switch back and forth and have a stack of disks, and it doesn't matter one iota which one I use as long as I have the proper key for the proper flavor of Vista I install.

So order the CDs and be done with it.

NEXT!!!

That would be the most logical solution....it's not but $10 bucks and takes less than a week to deliver. If you have someone that has the disk, use it....the software is not in question, it's ownership of the license that is the key issue. I switch back and forth and have a stack of disks, and it doesn't matter one iota which one I use as long as I have the proper key for the proper flavor of Vista I install.

That's exactly my line of thought.

The way I tend to think of it is that in case you don't put in your Vista registration/activation key while installing, then your installation is a trial until it passes the 30 day limit, when it becomes illegal. But if you get a license key into the system, however you get it, your Windows installation is legal. With that logic in mind, it doesn't matter how exactly you get the DVD/CD to install it, as long as you have the product key. I think that you are fine no matter how you get the disk, as long as you have a key.

-darkmatter08

Vista does not have a trial edition, sorry, you lose. And the key is not the item that defines the legal ownership either, it's the Certificate of Authenticity sticker that determines that status. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to have their head examined. I'll say it again for clarity but it seems people just can't comprehend things much anymore, sad to say:

If you don't have a legit reason to have the media - meaning you're a legitimate owner of the installation media which was acquired by:

- you got it by buying it legally
- you got it as a gift (legally)
- you got it free for attending a seminar/conference/some event from Microsoft or partners and it was given away (NFR copy)
- it came with the OEM PC you bought
- and a few other legal legitimate ways to have ownership of the physical installation media,
- downloaded from MSDN/TechNet (the only legit way to download it)

then guess what: you don't have a legit legal right to be using it, for any reason, you're not entitled to have it, period.

The 30 days is a grace period sans activation that is in place for the purposes of legit owners having an opportunity to make sure that the hardware they have is covered by the OS and the drivers necessary as well as applications and software to "work out the kinks," so to speak. It's not just for "kicking the tires" and seeing if you like Vista at all.

I said it a long time ago and I'll say it again: it's absolutely astonishing the lengths people will go to when they're trying to rationalize doing something they know is either a) flat out illegal or b) just plain fucking wrong. If I sound like a broken record, fantastic, that means people are actually paying attention but they aren't listening or applying the knowledge, or, as the case is all too often, they just couldn't give a shit.

This is akin to driving 26 MPH in a 25 MPH zone and getting busted by a cop and getting a ticket for it. It doesn't matter what you think, feel, believe, etc - the fact is you went faster than you're allowed to and you got nailed for it. Same principle: if you don't have a legit reason to own the installation media, that's that. End of story.

Who honestly gives a shit guys? Bottom Line:

Downloading an image of the 64bit version is probably illegal, however is perfectly ethical in the sense that you paid for a legit key and are just trying to save time and shipping costs by not getting a mailed disc.

I don't know why you're typing so much Joe... we're saying the same thing! You have a product key, you bought the product, you legally own the product... yet you are blowing it out of proportion. Nobody here (as far as I can tell) is talking about pirating Vista.....

if you have a valid/legit vista license, just torrent a 64-bit image... if you look in the right places, you can definitely find unmolested, clean vista images out there.... it really isnt hard at all (and if you do some checksum checking, you really can use it with a clear conscience)

Back