Download Vista, Family plan, Have you had problems? Post your story here.

BIGDADDY51

2[H]4U
It seems MS has outsourced this portion of the Vista rollout,and people are starting to have all types of trouble getting the right support. Have YOU had trouble? Let us know.

Before I say this, I would just like to state that this isn't personal. Working in the tech field for the last few years, I for one am getting tired of hearing people complain about outsourcing.
This last past year, before I relocated I worked in a high tier tech escalations dept. for one of the more larger PC companies and had to sit through hours of listening to rednecks whining about how "Indians" cant speak english when half the time I can not understand a word he is saying. This same guy is sitting behind his machine upset the speakers aren't working because he did not plug the power cord in but insist in to escalating until he speaks with an "American".

This guy sitting behind the phone at fault for his own problem, is so concerned about speaking with an American, he forces larger companies to create departments like mine and spend more money because of an irrational need and he wonders why he is first routed to India.The fact of the matter is, most people now days who use tech support for products they buy use it due to lack of knowledge and or stupidity. Which one of those comes first I am not sure of, I do know one thing. From all perspectives outsourcing has is positives and its negatives, however it seems to me that there are more positives for all and not just for the companies for "cheaper labor". When I was not having to waste my time contacting people whom could easily have their issues resolved by a lower tier support, I was able to focus energy elsewhere. For example, assist a whole school system resolve hardware issues with 100's of machines, which in turn benefits that guys kids education. A lot of times I spoke with these agents and were very respectful to them because I appreciate the service they provided me in making my job easier and was empathetic to the pressures of American customers.

On top of all of this, there is also seems to be some general internalized racism towards other cultures out of the USA. Americans have become so apathetic to the rest of the world that they think there is a certain way you should be treated just because you live in America. All I am saying is sure, escalate or what not if you feel your issue was not technically resolved, but dont waste my time because you want to complain about a different culture which is really routed from some deep internalized racism. I feel most of these people go into the call with a predetermined idea that the issue is not going to be resolved because the have to speak with a different culture.

I could go on but I realize that this probably isn't the place to discuss these sort of things, but ranted on a stream of consciousness so I will post anyway.

Just leave your "call to arms" out of here and realize its as much as a cycle as the food chain is.

I'd like to respond to your post above mine. I'll keep it short and sweet... Please ralize this is my opinion, and mine alone.

Its not that I think Indians are stupid or any such thing, its that I cant understand them. Sure they speak english, But not the way I speak english. You call up some tech support line to get an Indian on the phone who then proceeds to tell you that his name is "Bob" I know damn well his name aint "Bob" He can stop trying to mimick my accent becouse it aint working.

I understand people need to work, but Indians can talk to Indians. I prefer to talk with someone who I can understand, and who understands me.

Your anti american tone doesnt bode well. You get people on the phone to help you with a tech issue, and that is what you get on the line as well. Anti american tech support? Paid for by american companies? Come on. It isnt fair to you or me.

You clearly dont want to talk to me, and I clearly dont want to talk to you.

I'd like to respond to your post above mine. I'll keep it short and sweet... Please ralize this is my opinion, and mine alone.

Its not that I think Indians are stupid or any such thing, its that I cant understand them. Sure they speak english, But not the way I speak english. You call up some tech support line to get an Indian on the phone who then proceeds to tell you that his name is "Bob" I know damn well his name aint "Bob" He can stop trying to mimick my accent becouse it aint working.

I understand people need to work, but Indians can talk to Indians. I prefer to talk with someone who I can understand, and who understands me.

Your anti american tone doesnt bode well. You get people on the phone to help you with a tech issue, and that is what you get on the line as well. Anti american tech support? Paid for by american companies? Come on. It isnt fair to you or me.

As I said it was nothing personal, please understand that this is the perspective of someone on the other side. I don't really appreciate being called anti-American, because that is not the case. I never once directly insulted you. You would rather insult then to take a moment to consider what I have said. I was merely pointing out why many things frustrated me and how they are very linked to a lot of variables within American culture that clearly need to change. I say put more effort into being more empathic and sensitive to other cultures. Stop being lazy Americans.

And yes if you want to speak to me to bitch about outsourcing I clearly dont want to speak with you.

I think its funny how Americans nowadays can not have opinions and critiques about our culture without being called anti American or *gasp* a terrorist.

Btw, they take on American identities because most people would absolutely mangle an Indian name. If you dont think there is internalized racism routed in that then tell me how you would feel having to change your name to something ouside your culture so the people you speak with do not automatically judge you?

Also who are you? McCarthy?

Im sure this thread will be locked soon, but Im sure it wouldnt of have been if everyone would of replied bitching about outsourcing instead of against your topic.

This thread delivers.

But seriously, as long as I can understand them I could really care less but I've noticed that most of the phone tech people are Indian, Filipino, or French for some reason.

Man, you crap on every thread where Microsoft is mentioned don't you?

I didn't think his post was anti-American at all. He was simply explaining WHY the ignorant public forces companies like Microsoft to outsource (Although I think Microsoft is still DECENT at getting an American on the phone... Dell would be a better example).

I see it both ways. Stupid people with stupid problems= big call centers in India.

But when someone with a legit problem comes along, it is very hard to talk to an Indian on the phone. You know it will go up to the second tier anyway- let's just start there.
Or when someone that knows what they are talking about has a problem. I told you I already ran the diagnostics and tests, but you are going to make me spend another hour running through it again, just to come to the same conclusion- I need another motherboard- so send me up to second tier.

I don't call a company unless it is a hardware problem, that I have already diagnosed. All I need is a replacement. I don't want to waste half of my time asking the person to repeat the same thing over and over again because I can't understand them.

I agree with the comment before this one: I could care less where my support rep is from, as long as I can understand them. The problem is, you can't understand ANY of them (at least not that I've found).

I was merely pointing out why many things frustrated me and how they are very linked to a lot of variables within American culture that clearly need to change. I say put more effort into being more empathic and sensitive to other cultures. Stop being lazy Americans.

In the same breath you suggest that I need to change my culture, but I also need to accept yours? Dont you think that is a bit hypocritical? If I need to accept yours, then you need to accept mine. It really is that simple.

Be who you are, and I'll be who I am. We can both deal with it.

Man, you crap on every thread where Microsoft is mentioned don't you?

I didn't think his post was anti-American at all. He was simply explaining WHY the ignorant public forces companies like Microsoft to outsource (Although I think Microsoft is still DECENT at getting an American on the phone... Dell would be a better example).

Where did I mention MS at all? Quote me. I was responding to a post that was criticizing americans for simply calling tech support. It doesnt matter what tech support it is. Not everyone is computer literate. Not everyone needs to be. If they were, the dude wouldnt even have a job, and he should be greatful. Instead he takes his frustrations out on americans becouse he is unable to accept differences in culture.

In the same breath you suggest that I need to change my culture, but I also need to accept yours? Dont you think that is a bit hypocritical? If I need to accept yours, then you need to accept mine. It really is that simple.

Be who you are, and I'll be who I am. We can both deal with it.

Okay, now I agree with Duby. I just skimmed that second post, didn't see that part of it.

The first post wasn't Anti-American. That is where you should have stopped. Reading over your second... you have some serious nationality bias.

I never once directly insulted you.
No? And you aren't Anti-American? How about these?
American culture that clearly need to change
Stop being lazy Americans
I clearly dont want to speak with you.
sit through hours of listening to rednecks whining
Americans have become so apathetic to the rest of the world that they think there is a certain way you should be treated just because you live in America.

Im sure this thread will be locked soon, but Im sure it wouldnt of have been if everyone would of replied bitching about outsourcing instead of against your topic.
I don't know, but getting into the open your Anti-American stance into the open had to be done. It is the base of your whole opinion on outsourcing.

Okay, now I agree with Duby. I just skimmed that second post, didn't see that part of it.

The first post wasn't Anti-American. That is where you should have stopped. Reading over your second... you have some serious nationality bias.

No? And you aren't Anti-American? How about these?

I don't know, but getting into the open your Anti-American stance into the open had to be done. It is the base of your whole opinion on outsourcing.

and lest what he is doing is better then your personal vendetta against him, talk about continued personal attacks!!!

Sorry for reviving an old thread... Just got back from my vacation....

zacdl.... You should look at the name of posters before you begin quoting.... You call me anti-american for the comments of a different person? Really dude, you need to pay better attention.

Before I say this, I would just like to state that this isn't personal. Working in the tech field for the last few years, I for one am getting tired of hearing people complain about outsourcing.
This last past year, before I relocated I worked in a high tier tech escalations dept. for one of the more larger PC companies and had to sit through hours of listening to rednecks whining about how "Indians" cant speak english when half the time I can not understand a word he is saying. This same guy is sitting behind his machine upset the speakers aren't working because he did not plug the power cord in but insist in to escalating until he speaks with an "American".

This guy sitting behind the phone at fault for his own problem, is so concerned about speaking with an American, he forces larger companies to create departments like mine and spend more money because of an irrational need and he wonders why he is first routed to India.The fact of the matter is, most people now days who use tech support for products they buy use it due to lack of knowledge and or stupidity. Which one of those comes first I am not sure of, I do know one thing. From all perspectives outsourcing has is positives and its negatives, however it seems to me that there are more positives for all and not just for the companies for "cheaper labor". When I was not having to waste my time contacting people whom could easily have their issues resolved by a lower tier support, I was able to focus energy elsewhere. For example, assist a whole school system resolve hardware issues with 100's of machines, which in turn benefits that guys kids education. A lot of times I spoke with these agents and were very respectful to them because I appreciate the service they provided me in making my job easier and was empathetic to the pressures of American customers.

On top of all of this, there is also seems to be some general internalized racism towards other cultures out of the USA. Americans have become so apathetic to the rest of the world that they think there is a certain way you should be treated just because you live in America. All I am saying is sure, escalate or what not if you feel your issue was not technically resolved, but dont waste my time because you want to complain about a different culture which is really routed from some deep internalized racism. I feel most of these people go into the call with a predetermined idea that the issue is not going to be resolved because the have to speak with a different culture.

I could go on but I realize that this probably isn't the place to discuss these sort of things, but ranted on a stream of consciousness so I will post anyway.

Just leave your "call to arms" out of here and realize its as much as a cycle as the food chain is.

I'd like to respond to this also...LONG RANT coming be patient

As a programmer in IT for many years and being in the automotive industry in the American midwest I'm not finding much sympathy for your stand.

Every day thousands of jobs like mine and throughout our industry are being shipped overseas. No matter how you slice it those jobs were once done by Americans that have families to support and also dream of a better life. I personally do not have any issues with other races, countries and cultures that also want a better life. BUT, being an American I want what's best for me and my own first. My stand helps and does hurt those elsewhere, I'll explain.

After WW 2 the United States played a hugh part in rebuilding many countries, some like Germany and Japan who were our former enemies. We were generous, and gave a lot. Today those countries boast tremedous economic success. Not because we exported our jobs, but because we exported our knowhow - they pulled themselves up economically. Counties like India today have also made great strides, no one denies that. But let me warn you about something. We as Americans have only so much wealth to give. So many jobs that can be lost as exports. When it's gone for us, it will be gone for that tech support operator in India also if WE do not survive.

Sorry for the history lesson, but many people forget the sacrifices my parents made so that others could have the same oppurtunity. I don't think my post WW 2 generations needs to do it again, nor should our Y generation of today. Better that we pay for the tools so that an Indian can work for an Indian NOT an american subsidery. Sure we live in a world economy where we depend more on each other. But if I should lose my job because of it, I will be blaming the politicians and corporations becasue they cheapened it as an export. Even now the automotive supplier I work for is considering a plant in Mexico. My job could go when that plant is built.

Today we have a lot of greedy CEO led type companies like Ford Motor. Recently in the news they paid there CEO over $28 million in four months time, while they reported losses in the billions. Meanwhile they laid off thousands of good paying jobs. Many of these jobs went overseas to Japan as they picked up the slack in slow US auto sales. And that trend will continue, as long as corporations are greedy and go for cheap labor overseas. What were going to end up with here in America are two classes the very rich and the very poor. The middle class will vanish. We will eventaully become hamburger flippers because thats all the jobs that will be left. Never mind the 3400 people fired for Circuit City since the company complained they overpaid them. They were by no means getting wealthy in those jobs.

To even insinuate that this issue is one that is racial is ridiculous. The reason I don't want to talk to someone from India for Dell support, for instance is because I fell that job was taken away from an American. I could care less if that American was white, black, blue or green. They can create there own jobs, we have given them the tools.

Let American jobs stay American. If that bothers you, I have no sympathy for you. I do have sympathy for the guy at Ford Motor that just got canned and stands to lose what he's built up over many years. Deal with it...

WHOA dudes, All I asked about, was people having problems with MS Family plan. lets please keep this on topic.

Back