Downgrading

ceosam

n00b
Hey PC Audio!

In brief, what I am trying to do is eliminate the need for a receiver in my computer's audio setup. I've asked around and have gotten a variety of answers from $5 converters to $100+ DAC/amp combos.

What exactly would I need to run my:

KRK Rokit 5 Monitors (powered)
Sennheiser HD595 Cans

with sufficient power? They will be connected to a Asus U31 laptop.

I've been told that a simple 3.5 to dual RCA would work for the monitors because they are already powered, but the I know that will not work for the 595s because when I try to plug them into the laptops headphone jack they are way underpowered and sound like garbage.

Anyone have some suggestions on what to buy? Hoping for something semi-portable and cost effective but I still want quality audio... Aren't I picky :D

Thanks in advance!

You should look for a USB DAC/Headphone amp. Many wil have a line level out that you can use to run the speakers as well. They commonly include high quality components, and sometimes rollable op-amps. This will move all of the analog path outside of the laptop where there is tons of ugly noise, and will get you much better sound.

Some off the top of my head:
Ibasso D4/6/12 etc
Fubar III

Replaced my receiver with the amp and dac in my sig. Couldn't be happier.

i dont understand why you have a receiver in the first place....

what you need is a Headphone amp with pre outs. a DAC if you want it.

what is your budget like?

Thanks for the replies.

I had a 5.1 home theater prior to moving which is why I have the receiver. Now size is somewhat of an issue so I need something smaller. I would prefer to find something in the $50-$100 range but could possibly bump the bracket up to $150-$200.

@Q1DM6: I like the look of that TP41 but looking into it a bit more I see they are calling it a t-amp and I've found a few decent alternatives for the cheap on Amazon but I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for.

Whichever amp will be using my laptops regular audio jack and I can't seem to figure out if that means I'll be needing a DAC or not but from what I gather my laptops sound card should be fine for that purpose?

So at this price point I am tempted by something like this but I would really like a 1/4 jack for my 595s.
http://www.amazon.com/TC-780LC-Ster...HI/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1341583618&sr=8-16

The FiiO E9 looks like it might be a good fit but it has some pretty terrible reviews.

edit:
really like the matrix mini-i but its slightly out of my price range.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You should look for a USB DAC/Headphone amp. Many wil have a line level out that you can use to run the speakers as well. They commonly include high quality components, and sometimes rollable op-amps. This will move all of the analog path outside of the laptop where there is tons of ugly noise, and will get you much better sound.

Some off the top of my head:
Ibasso D4/6/12 etc
Fubar III

Check these ones out. This is really the way to go.
Ibasso D4/6/12 etc
Fubar III

I was just taking a look at the M-Stage and I really the the option of USB. The D4 lacks a line out so I wouldn't be able to connect my speakers at the same time if I'm not mistaken? If I could find a cheap D6 used what would be the best way to connect my monitors to it (they are currently RCA to XLR)?

Also looking at the Maverick D1 http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index.php/dac/tube-magic-dac-d1.html

So now I'm thinking along the lines of

Maverick D6
Matrix M-Stage USB

Now the real question is if in the future I wanted to add my powered 10" sub (ksw-10) would it be possible and how would I do it (haven't seen any sub out options).

Last edited:
Whichever amp will be using my laptops regular audio jack and I can't seem to figure out if that means I'll be needing a DAC or not but from what I gather my laptops sound card should be fine for that purpose?

You definitely need a DAC. A good AMP can give you great clear sound from your laptop's onboard, but it will be lacking soul & life. A good DAC brings vivid feeling to the music, all the things that bring emotion. They don't necessarily have to be separate. Any good DAC/AMP combo in the ranges of what you are looking at will be a world of difference. Also check out AudioGD. Do stay away from the FiiO E9. They are great bang for buck, but they cut corners. For ex the Volume POT gives you static noises everytime you adjust it. I don't know if this is better on their newer models, I never bothered to try them.

I've been extremely happy with my FiiO E7 + E9 Combo. I take my E7 to work or use with any laptop. I’ve also used it with my iphone but don’t really notice a difference in sound quality, but it can definitely drive my AT M50’s better than the iphone. I think you you could just get by with a e7 or the newer E17 and use a splitter for your speakers. The benefit I saw with the E9 is the rca jacks to feed powered speakers or a receiver.

I don’t know much about other cheap DAC/AMP’s but for the price I’m in love with my simple and easy Fii0 setup.

Great option if you want that "tube sound." Unlike the D1, you get the tube output for both the RCA pre-out and the headphone amplification. The D1 only uses the tube for the pre-out and has a separate headphone amp. It would also leave open the possibility of switching out the Rokits with passive speakers if the desire ever arises.

You could use it with just the 3.5mm laptop jack or you could get a basic USB Dac/Amp and just use the dac section.

Back