Downgrading a laptop for battery

Ohmsford

Limp Gawd
I've currently got an Asus A2H Laptop with a P4 2.8ghz processor. Runs close to 2hours just browsing, not to much to brag about. That is the beefest processor the laptop supports, i'm assuming there would be no battery life game from just downgrading to a different P4 chip of the same socket.

Here is a link to the website A2H

How much of a performance loss would i have going to a Celeron chipset. Does it support mobile pentium chips? I am incredibly unfamiliar with Pentium processors, sorry for the noobish questions.

do you have the processor clocked all the time @ 2.8GHz? you can dl many programs, and even windows supports it, that will clock the CPU down to around 800MHz when the machine is not plugged in.

Notebook Hardware Control is one I use and really like: http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm

bump, still looking for a little help. By the sounds of the research I did, this pentium 4 processor (northwood) apparently doesn't support intel speedstep and the processor can not change processing speeds.

Ohmsford said:
bump, still looking for a little help. By the sounds of the research I did, this pentium 4 processor (northwood) apparently doesn't support intel speedstep and the processor can not change processing speeds.
Yup, I think only Centrinos support that. Getting a celeron won't help either b/c it doesnt suport speedstep either.

yeah, your only option for battery life is to go centrino. (and by centrino i mean banias or dothan, not celeron-m)

Well I guess i'm SOL, the board on the laptop only supports celeron and P4. Guess i'll remember that for my next purchase. Thanks for all the help guys.

Back