Down until?

0ldways

Limp Gawd
ISP has been having "issues" for over 2 weeks. My "EXTREME" connection is giving 4kB upload speed. I currently have 7 bigadv units I cannot send without timing out and restarting. Vicious circle, that. Maybe I can send from somewhere else, but I won't be doing much until it's resolved...

Wow, that really sucks. I hope they fix the problem soon.

Grab a $20 dsl line as a backup? Unless your like me and dsl is all you can get :(

DSL not available. They won't even sell me another cable line as backup. This has been discussed for the last 5 years. Nothing else is available, so it is an ongoing problem. When it is right, it works very well. When it is wrong, it really stinks. I currently get 6.8 mbit download on a 7 mbit connection. BUT, the upload is stupid. They will fix it now that it is reported, but nothing happens until that process starts. It sucks for someone who works away like I do. It happens every trip, almost.

End of b**ch session. Sorry for the rant.

Sadly I know this all to well I always get it from comcast. It works ok when it works. The connection is fast for my area, but has a bit of latency about 20-30ms more than the DSL does. I thought about a dsl backup line, but because of how far out I live they want $49 for a 1.5mbps line. Sadly if I lived in town a 10mbps line would only be $54 which I think is unfair pricing as a 1.5mbps line in town is only $30. Since it was so much more I just went with a cellular backup, and my 2 little folders go down but I can still work.

When my DSL went down for a day about a month ago, I setup tethering on my phone and routed my network through it. (Phone -> wifi -> computer -> router -> yay network). My bigadv uploaded over 3G :)

yeah depending if you own a smart phone and service at your house the tethering option is a good fail back plan. As an option see if your neighbors net works and if so rent some bandwidth from them via wifi.

That was faster than I would have guessed. They actually got something done when I used their "talk to the ceo" link. I actually got a reply, and that amazed me. I lost 2 units somewhere, though. I had been thinking maybe my machines were throttling in the100 degree weather, but now I know what the problem was. Now we will see how long it lasts...

And it continues. I received 133k points for 2 bigadv WU. These were on an i7 970 and a 2P 6172 Opteron. Points are shite because they would not turn in on time. I just stopped a 6903 on the 4p 6168 machine, to try to let the 2p finish an upload. I installed langouste in an attempt to work around this. Lost the WU, and started over. Lovely.

I will be shutting down if this does not get resolved. I would like to highly NOT recommend CMA as an ISP. Am I allowed to do that without being banned? This has been going on for a month (this time). If I don't Fold, I don't have many complaints. Only if I actually try to use what I pay for.

Any advice as to how to prove this to the ISP? They think a modem reboot cures everything, and their speed test only looks at peak throughput.

I would hope you could recommend us to stay away from them. That would be bullshit to not be able to tell someone beforehand.

And it continues. I received 133k points for 2 bigadv WU. These were on an i7 970 and a 2P 6172 Opteron. Points are shite because they would not turn in on time. I just stopped a 6903 on the 4p 6168 machine, to try to let the 2p finish an upload. I installed langouste in an attempt to work around this. Lost the WU, and started over. Lovely.

I will be shutting down if this does not get resolved. I would like to highly NOT recommend CMA as an ISP. Am I allowed to do that without being banned? This has been going on for a month (this time). If I don't Fold, I don't have many complaints. Only if I actually try to use what I pay for.

Any advice as to how to prove this to the ISP? They think a modem reboot cures everything, and their speed test only looks at peak throughput.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems as it sounds similar to something Freaky was having with his crappy Komcast ISP. Is there anyway you can go up in the chain of command at your ISP? I had problems similar to you a long time ago before TimeWarner came around and upgraded all the lines in my neighborhood. I eventually left them and went with the phone company which was even worse. They refused to do anything so I came back to TimeWarner and eventually was allowed to talk to one of the highest level techs.

You could potentially replace the modem. If you rent it you could demand they replace the modem or just buy your own and send their rental back to them. Modems are about 60 bucks these days.

Back