Doubtful Current Dually Will Ship - Help Build Another

Tim_axe

Gawd
Okay, I've waited over 2 weeks now on NewEgg.com to process my order and ship. If I get no notification by tomorrow I'm going to call them (already dropped off of the website order status - over 15 days old) to cancel the order and refund my money. I'm really dissapointed with how they are handling my check. It has already been cleared and cashed, yet they insist on saying that address verification failed so they won't ship. Definately words to break a first time buying 17yr old's heart.

Anyways, I had ordered (and for some time have not recieved):
Gigabyte "GA-7DPXDW-P" Board
2x AMD AthlonXP Mobiles 2400+
1x 512MB PC2700 Kingston RAM
2x Volcano 7+
Assorted Fans & Filters
Surge Protector
Some Games
Arctic Silver 3or5
NewEgg Silver Pen

In a seperate order that I will place after this order happens (if it ever does):
Vantec 520 "Stealth" PSU

I was not 100% sure about the compatability of some of these things, such as the heatsink. So, before I cancel and reorder with different payment method, what I would like is:
1) Recommend me a good heatsink for overclocking, that fits, isn't insanely heavy if it can be helped, and is under or around $25 each
2) Will 512MB of RAM be enough for Win2k?
3) What can I expect to get out of the 2400+ in overclocking? Can I get about 17*133?
4) Is there anything else I should consider changing that wouldn't affect the price too much?

Just for anyone to consider, I'm comming from a Pentium 3 - 800MHz comp running @ 900MHz. I am able to run most things fairly well, but my CPU has become a bottle neck recently. I plan on playing music and games together, along with hosting games on this computer. I'm sure I will see performance gains anyways from simply upgrading from 900MHz, so don't reitterate how duallys suck for gaming.

Besides, with how big my case is, I need a dually in it. Preview of Worklog (Incomplete, will post @ worklogs when done):
http://home.steven.murphy.name/cliff/files/projects/horseshoe_case/index.html

I just got my GA-7DPXDW-P last week from Monarch :D Great board so far.
Id go with 1gig of ram if you can afford it.

Ive got the older thermalright heatsinks that only take a 60mm fan. Cant remember the damn name of them. If you plan to OC Id expect to pay a little more than 25$ for the heatsinks. Check reviews on different heatsinks. Maybe some of the other guys can list different ones that will fit. I do know Thermalright lists the boards their heatsinks will fit.

If the $ difference between the AS 3 &5 isnt to much go for the AS5 it did drop my temps a couple degrees

1) Recommend me a good heatsink for overclocking, that fits, isn't insanely heavy if it can be helped, and is under or around $25 each
That's a tough one. Anything good is going to be expensive, and there's lots that isn't expensive but isn't good either. If I could do it again, I'd pick out something that's a hybrid of aluminum and copper... I've had very good results with this heatsink on a single processor (with an intake fan blowing cool air directly on it); maybe someone else can give you a second opinion?

2) Will 512MB of RAM be enough for Win2k?
It will probably run just fine. But more always = better :D

3) What can I expect to get out of the 2400+ in overclocking? Can I get about 17*133?
My regular Barton 2500s can just get there, but I can't get them cool enough to be stable. I'd say it's prossible, but YMMV, as always.

4) Is there anything else I should consider changing that wouldn't affect the price too much?
Looks pretty good to me :)

I checked out some of the Thermalright Heatsinks compatibility lists...their compatibility generally doesn't go back as far as my motherboard, and the one that lists motherboards near my series never mentions my motherboard. I heard from a post @ 2cpu the SLK-800U fits but 80mm fans need some small mods done to fit properly. This heatsink appears to have a price of $50-$60 -- x2 = ouch

That TR2TT might fit since it is close to the size of the socket. I'll probably try to avoid it if I can come up with a better HSF, but for the price I think it looks okay. I'm mainly concerned about how the price is so low compared to the stuff considered quality (above paragraph)

I'm undecided on the heatsink right now. Given the layout of the capacitors on the motherboard, the size of the base will be important. I will ask for heatsinks under $40 each that are known to fit on this motherboard. If it includes a fan on the HeatSink, that would be a benefit.

Questions focusing on heatsink:
1) Does a ThermalTake Silent Boost fit? I can't find anybody mentioning it with the Gigabyte mobo @ 2cpu, or with some Google searching.
2) Any recomendations for a heatsink? The only thread [H] search returns with "GA-7DPXDW-P Heatsink" is my own, so I'm kinda stuck there...

BTW, for most of the hardware, it comes out to under $640. That is with estimated $35 per HSF. 2400+ Mobile Bartons (45watt). Gigabyte Mobo, 512MB RAM, 2x 120mm fans & filters, large amount of AS-5, PSU, surge protector...pretty much sums it up. Thanks in advance for any help / comments on a HSF.

you should be able to do 17 x 133MHz pretty easily.

why not 35w mobile chips? the one i got from newegg does 2.5GHz on 1.8v.

any particular reason you went with the Gigabyte motherboard? i kinda prefer the MSI, and i'm pretty happy with the Asus.

He might not want the MSI one. First time computer buyers might not want to cut the bridge on the mobiles. The Asus one and the Gigabyte make it so you don't have to (not sure about the Tyan, Iwill, etc.).

Vantec Aeroflows will also fit similar to the TR2TT, and can be had for ~20 each, or if you're lucky on ebay $10 each.

7 of 8 old 2400+'s will do 17x133 @ 1.75v on my MSI K7D's.
The odd one out I probably cooked a bit when I forgot to plug the heat sink fan in.
It runs Memtest ok, Windozes is iffy but crashes every time I stress it with folding.

Overclockers.com/Articles/SocketA has a good round up of most heatsinks.
Just find a good 80mm one from near the top of the list which is not to loud and they should fit with no/ little modding.

Luck..... :D

I went with the Gigabyte board because NewEgg only carries the Gigabyte and Tyan boards. The Gigabyte is cheaper, and has onboard sound, where the Tyan does not. Also, as mentioned, GIgabyte doesn't need to have the PowerNow! bridge cut, and I wanted to use that to test what multiplier settings I was stable at before pin modding it in. I've never cut/painted the bridges before, but that's why I'm getting the mobiles - the SMP bridge is already connected. I don't think cutting a bridge would be too much trouble though, I'd just have to test the CPUs individually first...

I would love to get ahold of the MSI, that D-LED feature looks like fun, but I don't know of anyplace that carries that board. If I had it, I probably wouldn't be tempted to try running 2 more drives in the Gigabyte's RAID Controller and risk finding out that I might have one of the boards that likes to corrupt data...

Those 35watt Mobiles do look nice. Not much more expensive than the 45watt mobile either.... I guess I'll get the 35watt 2400+ Mobile for $10 more per processor. Total rings up to under $660 + shipping.

I still need to find out what happened to my previous order though. By monday I should know if I'll be able to get this updated list of stuff -- I'm canceling and refunding my order if they can't get it processed by Monday. It is pretty stupid though that my check cleared, NewEgg.com got the money, and yet they won't send me my stuff. That definately needs to be worked out (either refund or ship) before I can get the updated things...

BTW, can anybody give me some good guidelines to the dimensions for the HSF to use for the Gigabyte? If I remember correctly, the socket is around 70x70mm, but how much can I add, and in which direction, to avoid hitting the capicators?

i agree with Vertigo Acid, the Vantec Aeroflow HSFs might be your best bet. they usually aren't too expensive, and will give decent performance.

NewEgg.com doesn't seem to carry the MSI K7D Master-L (MS-6501) Motherboard.

*) Do you know any reputable online stores that I can get this motherboard from? (MSI K7D)

Thanks for the replies to the HS, I'll definately consider the Vantec Aerocool line of HSF.

CoolerMaster X Dream II

can be had as svc for $12 a piece. I should have two of them here by the end of the week to replace the POS theremalrights I got.

512megs ram should be plenty for 2k or xp, but what else are you gonna run? ut2k4 takes ~350 megs on my machine, so 2k7 or whatever the next one is will take more. a gig is the minimum i'd build my next machine with.

I'm going to have 768MB of RAM - 512 Kingston from NewEgg and 256 from a friend. This computer I'm building will run Windows 2000 and some Linux distro or another, and will see use as a game machine, video production frontend machine, and 3d workstation. It will come in slightly under spec for this use ( http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3 ) but it shouldn't be too much of an issue and will be much closer than my current machine.

I can't find the CoolerMaster X Dream II @ SVC -- I just got results for pc cases. I think I'll try the Vantec Aeroflow's with adjustable fan speeds. About $50 for both.

Update on NewEgg: My previous order went void. I paid with a check, and they already cashed it. They're saying they have to send me a refund in the mail, and that it was already sent last week, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm really hoping that NewEgg didn't steal my $$$, because I've been out of my $555.36 for about a month now -- and I can't order my updated stuff until I get it back :(

Back