Doubling RAM On Smartphones Is "Silly"

Android and to lesser extent ios are unoptimized and badly written. Every version of Windows is lighter and faster than the previous one, it's the opposite for mobile os's in general.

At least android is a proper operating system unlike iOS.

Having used an S6 edge for a couple of months (Used a Droid 2 and S3 before iPhone 5,5s and 6), I have no idea what that is supposed to mean for a regular user. If proper operating system means bloated then I guess it's better to NOT have a proper operating system.

Android and to lesser extent ios are unoptimized and badly written. Every version of Windows is lighter and faster than the previous one, it's the opposite for mobile os's in general.

At least android is a proper operating system unlike iOS.

Is Moore's law alive and kicking on mobile? If so, then they really don't need to be super optimized. People upgrade phones every couple of years. If CPUs are doubling every 2-3 years, then they're fine. Let's not forget that Windows got slower with every release until Windows 7. You write software based on assumptions about the users, h/w, applications and so on. MS has changed for a variety of reasons, but the slowdown in H/W improvements have necessitated a rethinking (never mind the rise of mobile and tablet computing).

It's sad how the 3GB in the S6/Edge are still inadequate, as is the 8 core CPU. Brb lags during notifications, brb lags during normal usage, brb lags for no reason. Still not sure how you manage to still get so much lag with so much processing power.

Its not really an 8 core cpu, only 4 can be used at once. What I have noticed when lag happens usually one core is maxed and the other cores are fairly idle. Phones are limited by their single thread performance, at least that what I have noticed when lag happens doing mundane things. Phones don't need 4 cores, they need better individual cores like apple is doing. Apple's has fantastic dual core chips, I'd much prefer this over the ghetto big/little design.

Back