Doublesight DS-307W

Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
717
Editing this thread from my doublesight thread to reduce spam :)


Anyway, after months of debating, researching, and trying to figure out the best solution, I decided to pull the trigger on what I had originally wanted all along; an eyefinity set up with three monitors.

At first, I wanted 3 monitors, then a 30", then a 27" because I couldn't afford a 30", then a 30" again, then a 50" 3D Plasma (which I bought and currently use), and then after a couple of months, I fought back and forth for about 2 months more between a 30", 27" (high res, not 1080p), a 120hz display, and 3 monitors.

And tonight, after all of these months of debating within myself, I pulled the trigger and bought three Dell U2312HM monitors for 'round about $730. I'm hoping it will prove to be as awesome as I've wanted.


Anyway, I'll be keeping this thread up and adding pictures (maybe a video) once they arrive. I'll also be replacing my current desk with a new Ikea Galant 63" tabletop desk as well, excited for that. It's been about 2 years since I built my first PC and it's turned me into a depraved lunatic who spends all of his money on games and PC components/peripherals. But damn, it feels good :rolleyes:


Merry Christmas! (to me, anyway)
 
Last edited:
I believe Bladestorm tried a few Doublesight IPS displays and said they sucked, he now owns an S27A850D

A few notes:

1.) Sitting 2 feet away from a 50" no matter the resolution is Insane
2.) You can't sit 2ft away from a 27"+ IPS/PLS display because the corners glow white with dark content and the matte IPS displays are super grainy due to LG's matte coating.
3.) Not sure what Plasma you have, but most Plasmas will have much better image quality than any LCD monitor
4.) For 900$ You could buy a Samsung PN51D550c which works perfectly with PC's, has deep blacks and 3D or downgrade to an LCD monitor which will be blurry, likely have light bleeding or be grainy, heck you could sit further away and donate the $ and still come out ahead....
5.) Any 60hz LCD will seem quite blurry in games coming from a Plasma
 
Last edited:
I'm looking for a high-resolution 30" monitor mainly, but I'm open to a 27" if I can get far superior image quality.

I figured LG made the same panel for DoubleSight like Dell and HP. I may just try DS (since I have 90 days to return it if I don't like it), and I'm not too worried about the AG coating, although if it is something that I notice and it bothers me, I'll likely return it and just go for the S27A850D.

I'm not going to be using a TV as a monitor again, unless it's an OLED TV. Too big, too low of a resolution. I really want to get into the 2560x1440+ resolution.

I e-mailed DS asking detailed questions about their company, policies, and whether or not they can pick out a certain refurb display that for sure has great picture quality, like-new condition, and no dead pixels. I'm waiting for a response, and I'll likely try the DoubleSight first.

Still, I want your opinions on DoubleSight, because from what I hear it's mostly bad - but for $900 I have to try them out. If I get it I'll turn this thread into a review, but for now, I'd still like to hear people's experiences with DoubleSight ^^
 
I may be purchasing it tomorrow, I'm honestly really curious to see how good this monitor is. I'll let you guys know what I think.
 
I believe Bladestorm tried a few Doublesight IPS displays and said they sucked, he now owns an S27A850D

I briefly had the Doublesight DS-245V. I returned it because as is the case with nearly every LG based IPS monitor, it had far too aggressive AG coating. That was all I needed to know to return it, and didn't bother trying it out further. If the AG doesn't bother you, it may in fact be a nice monitor, it's hard to say. Doublesight might make decent monitors, but it doesn't look that way based on the few reviews I've seen.

One thing I can say is that I don't like the false advertising of the pictures on their site. A reason I bought the DS-245V was because the picture they showed of it had a nice thin bezel, and a clean look. That was not at all the case when I got it. I see they've updated their site to show the correct pictures, but I don't know about the 27"+ monitors.

Update:

You might have seen this, but if not here's a user review of the DS-307W. I noticed towards the bottom of the thread he says it has less aggressive AG coating than a U2711. I'm not convinced. Unless it's the same glossy panel out of an ACD, (which it's not of course) I've never seen nor heard of an LG panel not having an aggressive AG coating.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271031-New-DoubleSight-DS-307W-Review
 
Last edited:
DoubleSight e-mailed me back and confirmed that they use the same LG panel that the other 30" Dell/HP's, so they should be "as good if not better". He didn't comment on the AG coating (but I assume it's the same). I'm not sure if the others are 10-bit or 8-bit though.

I like the idea of a brushed aluminum chassis, not only because I love everything to be aluminum, but because it matches my 800D :p


With Christmas on its way, though, I may not be able to grab this for a week or two. It kind of snuck up on me, and while I have the money to buy it now, with the Christmas presents and anniversary presents I have to buy, I won't quite cut it :p


What do you guys think though, Samsung SA850D and risk the backlight bleed, and smaller screen size, or a 30" 2560x1600 and risk the AG coating/bad experience with new company? :p
 
Alright, I just totally changed my plans and went with what I originally wanted when this whole debate between what I wanted started, and got 3 Dell 23" IPS monitors.
 
I purchased my DoubleSight DS-307W about three weeks ago. I absolutly love it! It's a fantastic H-IPS monitor. The viewing angles and color reproductions are slightly better than what I've seen on other IPS monitors. The DS-307W uses the same H-IPS panels as Dell and HP. I've used the U3011, but didn't like the slight backlight bleed, so I went with the DoubleSight. No backlight bleed what-so-ever.
 
Back
Top