Double router question

Quick question...hopefully it'll be an easy answer. So a friend of mine has a qwest dsl modem/router (M1000) with no wireless.

He has a gig switch behind the qwest router for all wired connections. He is then using a Linksys wrt54gl router hooked into the gig switch for wireless access. Everything seems to be working fine...except for a couple little quirky things.

For instance, he has a Windows Home Server box wired to the gig switch. When he connects wirelessly with his laptop...he has trouble accessing the WHS box. Backups don't work and using the computer name to connect via Remote Desktop won't work (inputting direct IP does).

The routers use the default configs (qwest modem on 192.168.0.x and linksys using 192.168.1.x)

I'm guessing I just need to tweak the setup somehow to make the things work better??

In the future I want to disable the router in the qwest modem/router and just use the linksys for routing, but don't want to attempt that until I can be there to help him (currently helping him via remote desktop/phone)

Thanks for any insights...

2 routers doing router stuff = bad

You should disable the DHCP on the qwest router, plug it into the linksys wireless router and connect the gig-switch to that. Then everything will work as it's supposed to.

In your current setup I would just disable DHCP/Firewall/NAT on the linksys and just esentially make it an AP, then you should be able to connect ok as well.

Connect the wireless router via just one of the normal ports instead of the WAN port, and turn of the DHCP server on the wireless router. It will then just act like a wireless access point with everything on just one network.

Should solve all your problems.

Uh...you also are better served if you put both boxes in the same IP range. The ISP supplied unit is more difficult, so take your Stinksys router....log into it's web admin and make it's LAN IP address in the same range as your Quest combo modem/router (gateway)....

BUT...not the same IP address. If your Quest unit is 192.168.0.1, make your Stinky box in the same range...192.168.0......but select a common last octet that is popular for access points...say....245. So 192.168.0.245.

Now...when it reboots...release/renew your computer again (assuming it's plugged into it)...so it picks up the new IP range, and log into the new IP address...and disable DHCP.

Now..uplink the Stinky to your Quest box using a LAN port on each, you will not use the WAN/Internet port of the Stinky box...only the LAN ports (switch part)

Change default admin password, change your SSID, secure your wireless...done.

The reason why you want to have its IP range the same as your main? So you can hit its web admin quickly 'n easily, make changes, fiddle with firmware like DD-WRT, etc.

Connect the wireless router via just one of the normal ports instead of the WAN port, and turn of the DHCP server on the wireless router. It will then just act like a wireless access point with everything on just one network.

Should solve all your problems.

x2 this is what I would do (actually it is what I do at my house heh)

Thanks for all the help guys! I actually haven't had a chance to try out your suggestions yet...but will tomorrow morning!

I'll let you know how it goes.

im running a simler setup to this, and i just want to make sure im hearing this correctly, on the secondary router, use the regular lan ports (i.e. router 1 lan port to router 2 lan port (instead of router 2 wan port) wouldnt i need a cross over cable for this or would a standard cat 5 work?

im running a simler setup to this, and i just want to make sure im hearing this correctly, on the secondary router, use the regular lan ports (i.e. router 1 lan port to router 2 lan port (instead of router 2 wan port) wouldnt i need a cross over cable for this or would a standard cat 5 work?

Yes, correct, no crossover.

Back