• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Double or Triple Rad for Pentium D ?

Mixman

Gawd
Joined
Feb 23, 2004
Messages
671
I have a Pentium D 920. I also have a Swiftech H20-120 Premium kit with the single rad. No matter which way I have tried it (Rad outside, Rad inside) my temps are pretty high....48idle and 65 load at 4.2@1.5V. The radiator is very warm to the touch.

I have come to the conclusion that a single rad is just not enough for these chips. I am going to build a new system from scratch and put this one on my AMD X2 system.

Should I go for a double or triple rad ? I am just cooling the CPU.

Could you recommend me a top of the line CPU only water system ?
 
man, those temps are pretty bad. Are you sure the waterblock is seated properly? Is the fan on your Rad moving cool air towards it?

A 120.2 should be enough to cool just a CPU.
 
swiftech storm waterblock
DD D5 pump or swiftech MCP655 pump
thermochill PA120.2

whatever res or T-line floats you boat is fine. probably some of this 7/16" ID tubing from mcmaster carr that is so popular.

not denying that the 120.3 is better, but i just don't see how it would be necessary.

it blows my mind that your CPU is dumping enough heat into the loop to get things that hot.........
 
Well I added a second single radiator I had to the loop an now my load is down to 60, still not great at all. I reseatd the cpu block. I think it is making good contact because it was hot to the touch. It may be that my pump is working just so so.

Any way I want to get a new system. The Storms are getting real hard to find, so what is the next best CPU block I could get ?
 
Mixman said:
Any way I want to get a new system. The Storms are getting real hard to find, so what is the next best CPU block I could get ?
finding the storm in kits may be difficult, but the storm itself is still in production and up for sale.

the higher the heat load of the proc, the more a good waterblock pulls ahead of the pack. if you're bothered by your temps, i think that you should be getting the storm.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=155

seems kind of promising, however the fine grid of channels looks like it would be rather restrictive to me, kind of like the alphacool nexxos waterblock.

super-restrictive blocks like the nexxos don't perform as well as a simple look at the performance/flow curve would make you think.
 
DFI Daishi said:
finding the storm in kits may be difficult, but the storm itself is still in production and up for sale.

the higher the heat load of the proc, the more a good waterblock pulls ahead of the pack. if you're bothered by your temps, i think that you should be getting the storm.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=155

seems kind of promising, however the fine grid of channels looks like it would be rather restrictive to me, kind of like the alphacool nexxos waterblock.

super-restrictive blocks like the nexxos don't perform as well as a simple look at the performance/flow curve would make you think.

No, the Storm by itself is getting harder to find.

So, you think it's more the block than the pump, which is a MCP350, or both rads ?
 
Mixman said:
No, the Storm by itself is getting harder to find.

So, you think it's more the block than the pump, which is a MCP350, or both rads ?
if you say that the storm is getting harder to find in the states, i guess that i'll believe you, but it's more available than the apogee up here, ATM.

regarding the difference the block makes, i was referring to the situation when you move your current kit to another computer and change up the cooling on your prescott.

in your current config.......my first thought was that it was the rads. since you added a second rad and it didn't get you down to where you want to be i'm at a bit of a loss.

i'd like to know what you actual coolant temps are like, at the hottest and coolest points in the loop, but i understand that not everyone has the gear handy to check on that.

if there's a 2C or greater difference in coolant temps from the inlet to the outlet of the block, then a stronger pump (or a second DDC) might be in order. if the coolant temps are good, and also uniform through the loop, then a better block might be in order.

what are your room temps like anyway?

i'm simply not used to thinking in terms of the kind of heat output that your CPU is putting out. i mean, my freaking pelt setup was just barely able to run off of a 2x120 rad, with a pump that has similar head to the DDC. the fact that you CPU alone was overpowering a single rad........wow.
 
DFI Daishi said:
the fact that you CPU alone was overpowering a single rad........wow.


Well that thing is based off of a prescot no?
my 1.4ghz T-bird would make a Black ice extreme very warm to the touch.
Id go with the dual fan rad..or to overkill it the 3 fan
 
Have you tired checking your temps at stock speeds/voltages? I haven't really stayed up to date on the Intel chips for the last couple of years, but i just realized that you have a fairly large overclock (although your not pushing that much voltage through). Might be worthwhile seeing what your stock temps look like.
 
Look for kinks or things stressing the pump try 2 fans on the rad.

Doesnt seem right that your temps so high.
 
I am not sure what my temps are in my room, I know it's kind of warm becuase my building gives too much heat in the winter. Even so my temps still seem too high.

I am going to try and get a Storm Block, but if I can't, which block is next best ?
 
How good is the TDX waterblock compared o the Storm. The reason I ask is because Danger Den has a special on that and the D5 pump for $108 and like I said the Storm is getting very hard to find.
 
Mixman said:
How good is the TDX waterblock compared o the Storm. The reason I ask is because Danger Den has a special on that and the D5 pump for $108 and like I said the Storm is getting very hard to find.
the apogee that you already have is better than the TDX in most situations, even if you are using a D5.

get it if you need to save a bit of cash and really like the looks.

edit: i didn't have to look very hard to find it........http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=1714&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

i'm sure that you can find it elsewhere if you look.
 
Woah... Those temps are awfully high... If worst comes to worse, try lapping your IHS and waterblock maybe?
 
Thanks DFI.....I saw that, they and one other place has the Storm listed as being in stock, although I read that Voyeurmods site isn't always accurate as to what they have in stock. I just wanted an alternative just in case when I get ready to order the Storm and it is out of stock everywhere.
 
Mixman said:
Thanks DFI.....I saw that, they and one other place has the Storm listed as being in stock, although I read that Voyeurmods site isn't always accurate as to what they have in stock. I just wanted an alternative just in case when I get ready to order the Storm and it is out of stock everywhere.
please do not shorten my handle to DFI. shorten if to daishi, if you want to shorten it. i do occastional entertaining rants on the subject, but i don't feel like it just now. daishi was what i really wanted, but it was taken.

people on this forum have also had problems dealing with voyeurmods. i don't really reccomend them if you have some alternative, but it they're the only ones with stock......a phone call to confirm prior to ordering and off you go.


additionally, swiftech sells directly. you can check if they have stock as well. the key thing is that on backordered hardware, they fill merchant orders first. it's only advisable to order from them if they have stock.

the D-tek block that i put up has gotten some positive reviews. better than the TDX. i'm just worried about flow restriction, even if you do not plan on adding a GPU to the loop as things stand. with a strong pump, it gives the storm a close match.
 
is all the air out of the rad. turn/flip/rotate so the in/out is on top and shake it a little. see if air comes out
 
Cool DAISHI, now I know about your name. :)

I'll call around and see who has the Storm in stock.

I doubt it's just air in my rad though, as now I have two single rads in there an while temps are a few degrees lower, they still are not great.. When I move my system over to my AMD rig I will take it apart and thoroughly clean it, especially the Apogee block, to make sure that not clogged.
 
Back
Top