• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Double Gromacs wasting cycles?

Mattman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 15, 2000
Messages
1,900
After doing a tiny bit of research and an equivalent amount of thinking, I've decided that the Double Gromacs core is wasting cycles. I usually don't pay much attention to what my machines are doing, but after the topic came up in another thread, I found a machine running the Double Gromacs core and started looking at CPU utilization. After checking for a minute (thorough testing, eh?), it looks like the utilization goes down to nothing about 4 times for 4-5 seconds at a time. That's a pretty significant amounf of wasted time per minute...possibly as much as a third of the time if my counting is accurate. This brings me to my question...should we be running two clients if we're getting Double Gromacs WU's? Normally it doesn't get us anything to do that, but if we can get them "resting" at alternate times, we should be able to increase our output by a noticeable amount. I fired off a second instance (unfortunately didn't get Double Gromacs) and I'm running 100% continuously now. Is this going to work or does my logic not transfer over to real conditions? Discuss.
 
Definately sounds logical. Sure there would probably be times when both double cores dropped cycles, but most likely you'd cut down on the amount of time that the cpu isn't running 100%. Anyone tested this yet?
 
I ran the performance monitor a while back and saw that the doubleG's were wasting about 6% of my cycles.
I'm starting to run a tT (timeless Tinker) as a backup.
 
I have worked out a way to allow a user to reject the Double Gromacs work units if you use EM. I will release it in a few days after I finish testing. Stay tuned. ;)
 
I sorta fixed my double gromacs problem. Its seemed that only my P4 was getting these. So I just added 2 more instances onto that boxen...no more wasted CPU cycles :D
 
Originally posted by LPerry
I have worked out a way to allow a user to reject the Double Gromacs work units if you use EM. I will release it in a few days after I finish testing. Stay tuned. ;)
Larry, thanks so much. I'm running two clients on my non-HT boxes right now, but I'd rather have your solution. Thanks also for the EMIII v2.5.1 to allow us to update our scores.
 
On my p4 with HT on my cpu utilization goes from 100% down to like 20% down to 4% back up to around 75%. It is terrible
 
aren't the point totals about the same for reg v double? so if you can't get to the boxen... don't worry, output is the same.
can get to the boxen... run two instances, and have higher output.

... is this not the case? I thought it was a step in the right direction if the output is the same on less cycles. (though we do want to use ALL the cycles on the next version.)
 
Originally posted by sharp
aren't the point totals about the same for reg v double? so if you can't get to the boxen... don't worry, output is the same.
can get to the boxen... run two instances, and have higher output.

... is this not the case? I thought it was a step in the right direction if the output is the same on less cycles. (though we do want to use ALL the cycles on the next version.)
Not all of us have CPU's that will reliably run two instances and still turn in work in time for science.
 
Last week my garden was folding Doubles, and my production went down.:(
This week my garden has been getting regular Gromacs and production is up.:)
I think those wasted cycles add up (or subtract down!).

100000.gif
90000.gif
 
Back
Top