Double fans?

mrharhar

n00b
I'm living in Singapore, where it isn’t that cool 25...33 degrees all year round. So however good my fans I can never get cabinet temps to lower than my room temp right? Anyway, that is besides the point. My case only has space for one fan at the back. I happen to have another fan lying around. Cutting a new vent isn’t really an option for me as I don’t have the tools or skills needed for that.
Finally to my question; Is there any point in sticking the two fans together, in series? More to the point is there any risk? Refer to my beautifull side view diagram of the computer.

|_____|/ | |
| | |/|
|@@ | |
| | | |
| |_________| |
| / | /
|/___________|/
^ ^

Dammit. My diagram got messed up.
DAMMIT.
Look if you understand, answer the Q. please.

well, a fan will prolly not run you back more than 20 bucks singapore... you can always open your case and take the current mounted one off and give it a shot outside the case to make sure nothing gets damaged.... I highly doubt that there will be much of a difference though.... what you may want to do is head down to sim lim square and buy yourself a nice BIG, high volume fan if you feel your computer is running too hot...

nice digram btw... :D

I wouldnt think so for the following reasons. First if the fans cfm isnt exactly match with even matched fans the rpms would differ slightly one will be trying to suck air that the first one hasnt even sent to it. Thus it would actually degrade down to which ever fans is the slowest.

I would think NO, but i am open to suggestions. Think of this analogy, the heard of buffalo can only run as fast and the weakest animal and the same would be said for your fan.?

Also, I think that their would be added turbulance between the fans fucking them up with the dead zone of each fan

I dont know if anyone remembers this, but this sounds a lot along the lines of the old Super Orb HSF's. That thing was huge and had 2 fans in it. Kept my Athlon 900 nice and cool though. ;)

Code:
|_____|/     | |
|  |         |/|
|@@          | |
|  |         | |
|  |_________| |
| /          | /
|/___________|/
 ^          ^
Tip: when trying to make ASCII things stay in place, use the Code tag. :)

Originally posted by 8Complex
Code:
|_____|/     | |
|  |         |/|
|@@          | |
|  |         | |
|  |_________| |
| /          | /
|/___________|/
 ^          ^
Tip: when trying to make ASCII things stay in place, use the Code tag. :)

:eek: damn, that's nice :D

Instead of doubling them up, why not just get a higher CFM fan to replace your current one? Or get one of those drive bay/PCI slot coolers, if you have any free slots in front/back of your case.

as far as i know that isnt going to help you, if the back fan pulls as much as the front fan pushes, then they are balanced out, you'd be better off with a bigger, or more powerfull fan, or add a fan somplace, (add an intake fan someplace)

look around for a macheinig shop an have them drill you out a 80mm hole, and 4 screw holes, tac on the fan with a grill and your finished, your on your way to better case temps... what ever you do good luck

you could also connect the other fan and leave it sitting up in your case... that way the air is circulating.... just a thought

2 fans sitting against one another is basically pointless. The first fan not only moves the air, but it gives it a spin as well. The second fan will not bite into the air because the air is already spinning in the same direction as the fan is rotating. Even if the fans rotated in opposite directions, it still would not get any higher than what the average of the 2 fans are capable of.

Thanks a lot for the replys. I'll take your advice and get a better fan. And, 8Complex, thanks for the tip. :)

Back