Dotcom Wants Extradition Hearing Live-Streamed

HardOCP News

[H] News
It sure is funny how Kim Dotcom acts like he's a rock star. If people sitting around waiting for him to finally be extradited to the U.S. so the actual trial can begin is considered "global interest" then I guess our standards have dropped a few notches.

Kim Dotcom is hoping to have his fight with the U.S. government pushed further into the public consciousness by having his extradition appeal streamed live on the Internet. U.S. authorities are already objecting to Dotcom's application but they could be up against stiff opposition since New Zealand is proud of its courtroom transparency.

What little sympathy I might have had for the guy at the start of this has completely evaporated since reading about his antics since.

I really didn't expect anything different from someone who changed their name to Dotcom.

Live streamed why? Because I'm going to mark my calendar and set my alarm to wake up in the middle of the night (it's on the other side of the planet) so that I can watch??

I wouldn't watch it live if it was at a convenient time.

Live streamed why? Because I'm going to mark my calendar and set my alarm to wake up in the middle of the night (it's on the other side of the planet) so that I can watch??

I wouldn't watch it live if it was at a convenient time.

This may come as a surprise, but quite a few people live on the other side of the planet with him.

Reactions: dgz
like this
What little sympathy I might have had for the guy at the start of this has completely evaporated since reading about his antics since.

Never had sympathy for the guy, just hope that the US wouldn't get their way with him. And that only for precedence.

He's a class-a dbag, but he's being railroaded.

This may come as a surprise, but quite a few people live on the other side of the planet with him.
NZ is actually only a few hours off from the west coast anyway :-/. More latitude than longitude.

The rule of law is not a matter of sympathy, it could be any of us earthlings, just happened to be a rich fat guy who could actually defend himself temporarily for a change this time.

And to be honest, his case would be easily swept under the rug like many others if it wasn't for such shenanigans and the overall PR stink he's causing for himself to keep the lights pointed at his ordeal.

like this
The rule of law is not a matter of sympathy, it could be any of us earthlings, just happened to be a rich fat guy who could actually defend himself temporarily for a change this time.

And to be honest, his case would be easily swept under the rug like many others if it wasn't for such shenanigans and the overall PR stink he's causing for himself to keep the lights pointed at his ordeal.

It could have been any one of us...if we all started a gigantic file-sharing site and made millions off illegal file sharing. That could be anyone!

It could have been any one of us...if we all started a gigantic file-sharing site and made millions off illegal file sharing. That could be anyone!

A little critical thinking here: If all it takes for your assets to be freezed and for you to be shipped here is an accusation then it doesn't have to be just file sharing, this is a trial run and it could be adjusted to fit the needs if the laws are a joke.

Intellectually lazy citizens means intellectually lazy justice for all. It's not rocket science.

loshad.jpg

like this
A little critical thinking here: If all it takes for your assets to be freezed and for you to be shipped here is an accusation then it doesn't have to be just file sharing, this is a trial run and it could be adjusted to fit the needs if the laws are a joke.

Intellectually lazy citizens means intellectually lazy justice for all. It's not rocket science.

loshad.jpg

Technically, I have a Master's degree in rocket science..So while I appreciate your "clever" insults, I reject their basis.

I think Dotcom would like everyone else to think this is a big government conspiracy and that they'll all be coming for YOU next. In reality, it's really just about him and the massive size of the illegal organization he operated.

Amazing how much of our tax money is wasted in this, not to mention, the blatant and complete disregard of the law.

He knows they will find him guilty just because someone in hollywood paid for his head, so the live streaming is not a bad idea, but then again, reading the comments from the other patriots here, that wouldn't matter.

They might also find him guilty BECAUSE he's guilty. I'm not saying I approve of the RIAA or MPAA's methods, I do mostly think the big anti-piracy groups are douchebags. But that doesn't mean Mr. Dotcom isn't ALSO a guilty douchebag who deserves it. Take a look at the man's history. He's spent most of his life moving from one country to another to avoid prosecution.

They might also find him guilty BECAUSE he's guilty. I'm not saying I approve of the RIAA or MPAA's methods, I do mostly think the big anti-piracy groups are douchebags. But that doesn't mean Mr. Dotcom isn't ALSO a guilty douchebag who deserves it. Take a look at the man's history. He's spent most of his life moving from one country to another to avoid prosecution.
Is he guilty? Or is he a douchebag? The latter I'm almost certain about, but that doesn't mean he's guilty by law. I think the standards the riaa and other rights groups judge being guilty by is a very low bar. A bar that is most certainly not fair. And I'd like to see them obliterated in court, just for that. If it takes a rich douchebag to do it, then that's what it takes. I'd rather take the one douchbag's side opposed to the group of lawyers with no morals and conscience in the RIAA.

I think this live streaming thing is an effort on his part to get a fair hearing, not about being a "rock-star".

Is he hoping to get the same ratings as the live-stream of OJ's murder trial?

They don't compare. One person committed the worst of acts and the other is a murderer.

/copyright law zing

like this
Is he guilty? Or is he a douchebag? The latter I'm almost certain about, but that doesn't mean he's guilty by law. I think the standards the riaa and other rights groups judge being guilty by is a very low bar. A bar that is most certainly not fair. And I'd like to see them obliterated in court, just for that. If it takes a rich douchebag to do it, then that's what it takes. I'd rather take the one douchbag's side opposed to the group of lawyers with no morals and conscience in the RIAA.

I think this live streaming thing is an effort on his part to get a fair hearing, not about being a "rock-star".

Live streaming this is really more a rock-star thing rather than a fair hearing thing. He's got the best lawyers money can buy that will make sure he gets a fair trial.

Given his past history though, it's really, really hard to assume he's a poor innocent who was just trying to make a buck and got tangled up by the RIAA's rules. Read the man's history on Wikipedia or elsewhere. He's been pulling this type of stuff for years and years in several different countries. He just finally pissed off people with deep enough pockets to go after him despite hiding in another country.

Live streaming this is really more a rock-star thing rather than a fair hearing thing. He's got the best lawyers money can buy that will make sure he gets a fair trial.

He's been pulling this type of stuff for years and years in several different countries.
What "kind of thing" are you referring to that he has been pulling? I assume acting like a rock-star is what you mean. So what? Does that make him automatically guilty, and fair play to go after armed with the worst of the worst: copyright bullies?

What "kind of thing" are you referring to that he has been pulling? I assume acting like a rock-star is what you mean. So what? Does that make him automatically guilty, and fair play to go after armed with the worst of the worst: copyright bullies?

No, I don't mean the rock-star crap. I mean stuff like this:

Germany, 1994 - trafficking in stolen phone cards, computer hacking, data espionage. 2001, insider trading fraud to the tune of $1.5 million. Then he moved to Thailand to avoid prosecution.

Thailand. Faked his own death online to avoid extradition back to Germany. Discovered and deported back to Germany, and pled guilty to embezzlement. After his prison time, he moved to Hong Kong.

Hong Kong. Illegal hedge fund trading. Moved to NZ to avoid paying the fines.

NZ. Donated $600k for a fireworks display in and promised up to $10mill in investments into NZ in order to fast-track his citizenship and get the NZ government to overlook his past. Also bribed the mayor with a $50k illegal election donation to help process his application.

So, THAT kind of stuff is this man's history. Also remember he's being charged with three things: racketeering, conspiring to commit copyright infringement, and conspiring to commit money laundering, not just pirating movies.

Back