DotCom Case Sees Tears, FBI, Claims of Betrayal

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the Megaupload case is going to get all soap opera-ish with Dotcom crying in court today. Damn, I thought having to be cut out of his panic room during the arrest was bad, but crying in court? Sheesh, man up dude. :D

Kim DotCom isn't too big to cry. In court yesterday, the MegaUpload founder choked up when he recalled how New Zealand police in January raided the Auckland mansion where he lived and when, as his lawyer, said he was "ripped him away from his family."

if crying gets his money back or his cases dropped, I say cry away. This case feels like government is in the wrong.

if crying gets his money back or his cases dropped, I say cry away. This case feels like government is in the wrong.

Yes the government procedure was wrong, But Kim Dotcom is a shitty human being and certainly no innocent angel. When you piss off people with guns and money, they will come after you.

Yes the government procedure was wrong, But Kim Dotcom is a shitty human being and certainly no innocent angel. When you piss off people with guns and money, they will come after you.

Wait, what am I missing? What did Kim Dotcom do that labels him as a shitty human being? Besides running MegaUpload I know nothing of what he's done, and I am too lazy to google it or check wikipedia.

Watching fat people cry comes in at a close second to watching fat people eat; both being disturbing and hard to stomach.

I don't blame the guy. He's been scapegoated by our government and there is international cooperation to bring him down. The criminal justice system has committed a miscarriage of justice in the way it has treated him. I mean yes, MegaUpload willingly shared pirated material, but they've gone way too far, and he's the man in the middle of all this.

Wait, what am I missing? What did Kim Dotcom do that labels him as a shitty human being? Besides running MegaUpload I know nothing of what he's done, and I am too lazy to google it or check wikipedia.

I believe he got caught in Germany for credit card fraud... whether or not you agree with this case.. dude is kinda scumbagish

I find it more disturbing that people are so discompassionate and dismissive toward people expressing human emotion, especially if a man cries, it's almost taboo! I can't even imagine the stress and pressure this guy and his family have been under during this whole debacle.

I believe he got caught in Germany for credit card fraud... whether or not you agree with this case.. dude is kinda scumbagish

It seems like credit card fraud, hacking, insider trading, but it never seemed to be taken too seriously.

I'd quantify his as a jackass rather than a scumbag, though. I always prefered to put a specific definition to insults, as it makes it more interesting. I'd imagine someone that did a lot of embezzellment, and hostile takeovers or the Enron guys to more the Scumbag profile.

Yes the government procedure was wrong, But Kim Dotcom is a shitty human being and certainly no innocent angel.

Pretty much. Yet you get most people defending him because he "fought the Man" and is what amounts to an exploitative cybercriminal. He is the antithesis of what the warez scene is really about - non-profit sharing - and leverages his position as a psuedo-Anonymous hero to paint himself as "one of the 99%" in terms of his standing in the community, while driving his 1959 Cadillac, Lamborghini, and Mercedes-Benz. He's not at odds with the "enemy," he's simply a different side of the same coin; people are just blinded by their biases.

Definitely not the picture of perfection. Too bad they didn't care about that, only his supposed copyright infringement... I mean, they can't go after him for things like fraud here, if they do, that 1 percent might become a little bit smaller... like zero.

He's not at odds with the "enemy," he's simply a different side of the same coin; people are just blinded by their biases.

I don't think it has anything to do with biases. It has everything to do with common sense and understanding order of magnitude. If a government can break every law on it's own books and utilize foreign governments around the world to go after one guy, but can't seem to keep banks on their own shores from stealing trillions of tax payer money and destroying the global economy I think there's a larger issue to be dealt with than freakin MegaUpload!

Basically which is the bigger threat a kid with a BB gun, or a rogue government doing whatever it's paid to do regardless of the text within it's own Constitution?

Basically which is the bigger threat a kid with a BB gun, or a rogue government doing whatever it's paid to do regardless of the text within it's own Constitution?

The kid with the BB gun, of course. He'll shoot someone's eye out which is pretty scary to think about.

The truth is that we really know nothing about how scumbag-ish he is or is not. None of the data that was seized has been released to anyone except the U.S. government because - well - they kinda stole it and haven't shown anyone anything about it at all. They're treating this guy like he's the sole human being responsible for all piracy in the world; as if he's the one who pirates/cracks every single movie, video game, music album or computer software title in the world. The fact is that the whole case is nothing but hearsay. No one has any information aside from the U.S. government - and that's fishy as hell. From the article:

...He says it is concerning that the United States can order New Zealand authorities to raid someone’s house, take digital data and then order it to be shipped back to the US...

Concerning, indeed. Scary, in fact.

Also - why WOULDN'T the man break down and cry eventually over all this? He's had everything taken away from him, including his family and freedom for a period of time. Anyone who says they wouldn't break down during the course of an event like this is simply full of shit.

Also - why WOULDN'T the man break down and cry eventually over all this? He's had everything taken away from him, including his family and freedom for a period of time. Anyone who says they wouldn't break down during the course of an event like this is simply full of shit.

EXACTLY!

The truth is that we really know nothing about how scumbag-ish he is or is not. None of the data that was seized has been released to anyone except the U.S. government because - well - they kinda stole it and haven't shown anyone anything about it at all. They're treating this guy like he's the sole human being responsible for all piracy in the world; as if he's the one who pirates/cracks every single movie, video game, music album or computer software title in the world. The fact is that the whole case is nothing but hearsay. No one has any information aside from the U.S. government - and that's fishy as hell. From the article:

+1
cause i'm too lazy to type out why i agree.

If what the US government has done goes un-noticed, I'm renouncing my citizenship.

Kim needs to sue them for all they've got!

Its funny how the US Govt trys to police everyone outside its boundaries. It may seem right for the United States but if Im another country its kind of annoying. Its like saying "if you dont , we will".

Its funny how the US Govt trys to police everyone outside its boundaries. It may seem right for the United States but if Im another country its kind of annoying. Its like saying "if you dont , we will".

The US does have a ton of treaties signed with friendly countries that let them do this kind of thing. New Zealand isn't exactly putting up a fight against it.

I hope he gets off. Teh FBI will say that it didn't need a judgement because dotcom is foreign national. I think it will boil down to the local courts.

As a Kiwi (New Zealander) Im worried about how much NZ tax payer money we are forking out on this whole case. I hope we send the bill to the US government since they seem to be able to pull unlimited money out of their ass.

But if he is found not guilty he has already said he will sue for every single penny he can get out of both the US and NZ governments.

Back