Dorm server?

Ristopal

n00b
I currently live in a dorm that doesn't provide TV or Internet, although rooms include a cable outlet and two Ethernet outlets. (You can purchase your own plan for either) Other people in the dorms have private WiFi's, so I know the outlets work.

I have an old Apple QuickSilver sitting around, and can easily turn it into a server to share files, etc. Right now, it's just a private server for my own PC.

My question is given these conditions, can I create a FTP server through the dorms from the outlet, most likely keeping it passworded. If possible, would anyone know how to go about doing so? My Mac knowledge and networking skills are lacking.

Thanks.

You might want to ask who is giving you the access like a local isp or your college? if its your college ask them if you can host your own ftp server if not then I dont know what to tell ya. Now if its a local isp ask them to give you a static IP.

if rooms don't provide internet or tv, how are the others getting private wifi? They pay the ISP themselves?

If that is the case if someone gets a business connection, plugs a router into one of jacks, hopefully they have a switch at the distribution point, the other jacks should get live.

Back