Dorm room internet

vtx_

Gawd
Ok so I get one internet port in my dorm room at school and I have a laptop and desktop. I want both to have internet in my room without switching the ethernet cable back and forth. Is this possible with a router or will it not work splitting a single port with a router?

School wireless doesn't reach my room (18th floor :rolleyes:)

I am good with most computer related stuff, but I could use some help on this one.

Thanks

I had this same problem. In my case I couldn't connect a router directly to the ethernet port because I didn't have the correct information to configure it (I'm sure I could have found it but I wasn't that ambitious).

My solution was to leave my desktop connected to the port and buy a cheap PCI wireless card for it. I then used ICS to set up my own (ad-hoc?) network. Voila! Wireless!

It was pretty easy and painless. Let me know if I can help should you decide to take this approach.

That sounds like a good idea... I have a tv tuner card I might have to sell if I cant get a full size pci bracket for it so I'm sure I could trade it for one.

Does this require any additional software or anything? Or do you basically just install the wireless card and set it up to transmit a signal instead of receive one?

Any specific type of wireless card I need? (A,B,G?)

While a router should work(depends on how they have their network setup) I would recomend against it unless the school says it is ok. You need to talk to them about it. You can prob get away with a switch.

The ics that someone elce mentioned will work as well if they don't support you using a switch or router.

That sounds like a good idea... I have a tv tuner card I might have to sell if I cant get a full size pci bracket for it so I'm sure I could trade it for one.

Does this require any additional software or anything? Or do you basically just install the wireless card and set it up to transmit a signal instead of receive one?

You install the card and run the internet connection sharring wizard. You setup the card for an adhoc network instead of connecting it to another network.

first thing you need to do is call your IT department and find out about their policy on routers and multiples computers on 1 ip address. Most schools are fine with it but its best to be on the safe side so you dont get cut off for breaking the terms of use. If you can't use a router then use windows internet connection sharing and some kind of wireless card or even a 2nd ethernet port.

Yea I have no idea of how the network is setup. The wireless ad hoc network seems like an easier way to go, especially since I won't have to lug a router to school with me.

Is there any noticeable slowdown on the host computers internet or overall use when the network isn't being used by the secondary computer?

Rigs are both in sig btw.

No, ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is built into Windows. I think this is the tutorial I used.

G for sure. I used a D-Link like this but mine is older. I'm pretty sure any compatible card will do.
Wireless Cards

***swatbat & C385 have a valid point. Check with IT and the TOS for the school. Initially when I asked they said no because wireless infrasturcture was already in place (though like you I couldn't get a connection). It took some convincing but they finally agreed to turn a blind eye. They said they would allow me to because I was a CS student and "technically competent" (jokes on them:D).

Well thanks for the quick responses everyone I think I know everything I need to pretty much.

Only thing is I wonder if I disabled any services while optimizing my desktop that will cause problems with this... guess I will find out :D

I can't imagine a school not allowing you to setup a router. . .

I would definitely recommend getting one--you're better off in the long run. If you pick up any more Internet enabled devices (e.g. XBox 360, PS3, etc.), then you're going to want an extra ethernet port. And unless I'm mistaken, Windows XP ad hoc setups only support WEP protection at most, which can be cracked in under a minute these days. Your wireless connection would in no way be considered secure. Definitely spend the $50 and get a decent router.

Try this. Connect your laptop or desktop first. Get its MAC address registered to the school's DHCP. Once that is done, connect the registered machine to your router and configure the router. Clone your registered machine's MAC address to the router so the router will use that id when connecting to your school's DHCP.

Windows XP ad hoc setups only support WEP protection at most, which can be cracked in under a minute these days. Your wireless connection would in no way be considered secure.

I think he can find security solace being 18 stories up in a dorm room. I can't imagine drunk college kids having any interest in cracking WEP just for kicks. Then again, maybe I'm the bull.

I think he can find security solace being 18 stories up in a dorm room. I can't imagine drunk college kids having any interest in cracking WEP just for kicks. Then again, maybe I'm the bull.

If the school has a Comp. Sci. department, I wouldn't put any trust in a protection scheme that's easy to crack. :p

Use a router.....you just need to find out what setup info they need. Probably register the MAC with them the first time you plug it in.

Using a router...you'll be behind its NAT firewall..so your PCs are protected...from the rest of the infested college network.

Why is everyone suggesting a router instead of a simple switch? :confused:

because the likelyhood is that the college switches will be configured to recognise the first mac address that connects to the port and then only permit that mac address in the future. by utilising a router (and more specifically, network address translation) you are able to connect multiple devices behind one ip/mac.

from what i've read on this forum before lots of people in educational institutions have difficulty with this one so do definately check with the college i.t. bods before you do anything as a) you might get cut off if they find out which is going to cause you nothing short of a nightmare if you have to go into college to get the 'net and b) you will have then wasted money on a router.

if it is against policy then specifically asking for help to get around it will get you a few moans from the peeps on this forum.

Depending on the school you go to they may allow you to register a Router with them just like you have to register your computer that you use. When I was at my first year at RIT, I had to go to extreme lengths to get my Dorm network setup. Then during my second year they made it so all you had to do was register your router and everything after that was cake.

because the likelyhood is that the college switches will be configured to recognise the first mac address that connects to the port and then only permit that mac address in the future. by utilising a router (and more specifically, network address translation) you are able to connect multiple devices behind one ip/mac.
When I was in college we just used switches (started with hubs in '97), but then again I graduated in 2001 so things could be different now.

When I was in college we just used switches (started with hubs in '97), but then again I graduated in 2001 so things could be different now.

At the university here you are not allowed to have any thing but your computer connected, and they specifically have a rule against routers and wireless access points.

I'm an old fart, fished school in the early 90's, before the internet boom. I didn't realize that university networking was that restrictive. But I imagine that most universities have decent wifi deployed on campus, so connecting a laptop shouldn’t be a problem, though you lose not having a local network.

Depending on the school you go to they may allow you to register a Router with them just like you have to register your computer that you use. When I was at my first year at RIT, I had to go to extreme lengths to get my Dorm network setup. Then during my second year they made it so all you had to do was register your router and everything after that was cake.

I was gonna say, all I did was register the router and it worked :p

Can't see why any school with a decent network wouldn't be able to handle a router.

I was gonna say, all I did was register the router and it worked :p

Can't see why any school with a decent network wouldn't be able to handle a router.

Well the reasoning I can determine UNI (local university) does it here is that when you register your computer you also have to install their provided anti-virus ,unless your OS is something other then Windows Mac which in those cases they have to manually register you. Using the router allows unknown systems on to the network that don't have the AV installed and possibly use the connection for malicious intent. They had to pretty much get rid of any public access computers so they all require AD credentials now to log into due to people coming along and sending threats from them from and the university was getting pressured since they couldn't point the finger at some one.

Most schools frown on routers. There are quite a few reasons for this, including someone plugging it in the wrong way (i.e. connecting the wall jack to one of the LAN ports) and your router starts serving DHCP leases to the entire school (seen it happen) as well as other topology issues such as creating routing loops (seen it happen and take down an entire segment of the dorm network).

I can't imagine your school wouldn't allow you to register multiple devices' MAC addresses under your account. Many people these days have a laptop, xbox360, etc that they all need to hook up. In this case a simple 5 or 8 port gig-e switch is more than enough. That is what I used in my room all 3 years (graduated from UNC in 2005), and even plugged a wireless access point (regular AP, NOT a router!) into it and everything was fine.

Stupid people can cause problems with both routers and switches. It doesn't take much.

Take the advice of people here and CALL THE IT DEPARTMENT. IT'S THERE JOB.

They will tell you what you can and cannot do.

I can't imagine a school not allowing you to setup a router. . .

I would definitely recommend getting one--you're better off in the long run. If you pick up any more Internet enabled devices (e.g. XBox 360, PS3, etc.), then you're going to want an extra ethernet port. And unless I'm mistaken, Windows XP ad hoc setups only support WEP protection at most, which can be cracked in under a minute these days. Your wireless connection would in no way be considered secure. Definitely spend the $50 and get a decent router.

Many collegiate-level schools service thousands or tens of thousands of students--allowing everyone one connection is acceptable. Allowing someone to use a router to connect multiple devices can break an infrastructure built around the assumption that only one connection per student would be allowed.

Well the reasoning I can determine UNI (local university) does it here is that when you register your computer you also have to install their provided anti-virus ,unless your OS is something other then Windows Mac which in those cases they have to manually register you. Using the router allows unknown systems on to the network that don't have the AV installed and possibly use the connection for malicious intent. They had to pretty much get rid of any public access computers so they all require AD credentials now to log into due to people coming along and sending threats from them from and the university was getting pressured since they couldn't point the finger at some one.

In order to register here, you have to legally sign your life away stating that you're fully updated, that you have AVG or some other antivirus, or have spybot or some other spyware tool installed. If you throw out too much wierd traffic, they'll kill your port. Happens all the time. They know who owns each port and they don't tend to fuck around. If you're not registered, your access is cut off after about 45 seconds.

generelz said:
Most schools frown on routers. There are quite a few reasons for this, including someone plugging it in the wrong way (i.e. connecting the wall jack to one of the LAN ports) and your router starts serving DHCP leases to the entire school (seen it happen) as well as other topology issues such as creating routing loops (seen it happen and take down an entire segment of the dorm network).

The system here shuts down the port if someone plugs in the lan side of the port (so they say) and you have to call to get it turned back on.

generelz said:
I can't imagine your school wouldn't allow you to register multiple devices' MAC addresses under your account. Many people these days have a laptop, xbox360, etc that they all need to hook up. In this case a simple 5 or 8 port gig-e switch is more than enough. That is what I used in my room all 3 years (graduated from UNC in 2005), and even plugged a wireless access point (regular AP, NOT a router!) into it and everything was fine.

I get three unattended registrations, and I have to call, or submit an online form for anything further.

I think the IT department budget is bigger here than than most small schools entire budgets. Then again, we've been named "most wired" and it's a tech school, so I don't think you're going to see too many idiots (other than the art students) plugging in the wrong ports. Switches and hubs don't work on the network at all. I'm not sure why.

We allow upwards of 2 registrations per student, assuming there's enough IP addresses in the subnet they are in. Students who need more are encouraged to bring a router, as it frees up IP addresses for other students to use. Not to mention most dorm rooms only have a single ethernet jack per occupant, and too many devices connected to a single port (e.g. 8+ connected via a switch) will shut the port down automatically.

Yes, we deal with the occasion twit that can't seem to hook up a router correctly, but it takes a single call and a few minutes to identify the perp and turn their port off (at which point they have to come down and we get to yell at them). As for other people hopping on a persons wireless, students are made aware of the fact that they are ultimately responsible for everything that goes on with their connection. If they allow friends or strangers onto their network connection, they're responsible for it.

Allowing someone to use a router to connect multiple devices can break an infrastructure built around the assumption that only one connection per student would be allowed.

As long as a student isn't a retard who hooks up a router backwards (which again, should not be difficult to identify given a decent network setup), there's no broken infrastructure. From the point of view from the network, there's a single device connected to the network (the router). If someone behind the router misbehaves, the port is terminated and they have to visit IT depending on what they did (virus infections, busted for piracy, etc.)

At the university here you are not allowed to have any thing but your computer connected, and they specifically have a rule against routers and wireless access points.
There were generally at least 3 PCs in the room. The college provided one and usually two of mine. We didn't ask, and we didn't tell. We just used hubs or switches and went to town. :eek:

Here they frown upon routers, but people still use them left and right. My suitemates have wireless setup throughout the room. I'm fine with just one port in the wall :)

I personally don't see any problem with it as long as you know what you are doing and don't break something in the process.

Just ask your IT dept.

Most schools are cool with a router as long as it is not wireless (so it does not interfere with their services). Some though, like my current school, even allow wireless routers in the dorms.

The worst they can do is say no, and then you have to come and find an alternative method like ICS :cool:

Back