Dorm room headphones

hiredgun2112

Limp Gawd
I'm going to have a dorm mate in the fall, so im looking for some headphones that don't leak that much sound. (dont wanna disturb my roomate if he's sleeping, dont want him to hear my music late at night, etc.).

the head-fi forum is really lovin the AKG k81DJ, but i wanna know if there are any notable Sennheisers...I'm open to any suggestions, but I'm interested in the HD485's that some of you guys have. Do they leak a lot of sound?

All you have to remember is that closed headphones dont leak sound

So unfortunately the Senn 485, although a great set of can, will leak sound and drive your roommate crazy at the wrong times

you could get the HD201's for around $30. Best closed can at that price imo.

How much you looking to spend?
evil4.gif

Most closed headphones leak sound as well (depending on how loud you listen to them, but it won't be something that will keep your roomate from sleeping), just not as much as open headphones.

Some people like the AudioTechnica ATH500 for 100$. In that price range is also the sennheiser HD280pro, which im not really a fan of. If you don't mind spending 160$, then I recommend you check out the beyerdynamic DT770pro as well as the higher end AudioTechnica's.

Any of these will do what you want.

Dachink said:
you could get the HD201's for around $30. Best closed can at that price imo.
i have the hd-202 and they are great, they block alot sound and they sound really good. they have alot of bass and when they are on no one around you can hear your music.

I'm all about the Sony MDR V6/7506. Spent $40 on em about 2.5 years ago...and it ended up being the headphone to outlast all the other $10-15 crap I used to buy from the local B&M. Of course, if you are picky, get ready to open up your wallet.

Head-Fi stuff is very opinionated and expensive ;)

Mav451 said:
Head-Fi stuff is very opinionated and expensive ;)

You may be right, but not quite as expensive as the computer hardware section of [H]... :p

Cyrilix said:
You may be right, but not quite as expensive as the computer hardware section of [H]... :p

oh trust me, many will beg (and go out on a limb) to differ :eek: :p :confused:

I'd say head-fi can get more expensive over all for the high high end, but besides that its about the same.

I have the Sony MDR-V6xx ( I can never remember if I have V6s, V60s, or V600s) anyway, great headphones for the price, very comfortable, I doubt they leak much sound.

I can't really say though, I only use them on airline flights, and last time I flew was around three years ago. Did I have a weird dorm situation in that none of us ever used headphones? Whoever started their music first just got to pick from the room till they stopped.

Any pair of closed headphones should be fine, a Blu-Tak modded set of HD-280 Pro's should work nicely. Are they going to be used mostly for rock, rap, classical, gaming?

My friend's HD-280s leak almost no sound, and so do my ATH-a900s. I have to blast the volume to near max before someone can even hear a little bit of the music. It's like opening a floodgate when they come off your head, the music is so loud.

serbiaNem said:
My friend's HD-280s leak almost no sound... ...It's like opening a floodgate when they come off your head, the music is so loud.

aye, my Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's insulate sound so well that I can be laying next to my sleeping wife playing a game at a pretty loud volume and she'll never hear a thing. only draw back is.. while sound doesn't get out, it doesn't get in either as you can't even hear someone talking next to you.

Back