Dorm Network Situation

Fireballs

Gawd
Ok, so the network is horribly slow...however...i got a tip from one of my friends that if i put in this proxy server in my browser settings it'd speed up, and now it is very very fast.

i can't figure out if there's anyway i can use this proxy for my other things too like trillian.

any help?

also, anyone know why the proxy speeds up my connection to the internet even though the IT people say that they can't fix the internet problem because viruses are supposedly slowing down the network?

i'm talking about a change from 10kbps (yes, 10kiloBITSpersecond) to over 700kbps.

I'm going to be very careful about answering this... it could fall into the compromising college/business networks sticky...

If that bandwidth change is accurate , it sounds like there may be a bandwidth limiter on your university's resnet. They do that to limit filesharing at times. Proxying around it will often speed it up.

If you want to use the proxy for other things like trillian, most programs have something in their config/prefs that allows you to enter your proxy's information. If you need to know more PM me with what kind of proxy it is etc... (SOCKS4/5 anon etc..)

it has nothing to do with filesharing limiting, in fact i wish they'd implement some sort of control over the network.

we can't even do basic web browsing and no one we talk to will help us out. they all blame it on virus infections on private computers and they won't disconnect the people who have viruses.

What college do you go to? I work for RezCon here at SDSU (San Diego State) and I know we're having a helluva time dealing with viruses and what not.

It seems most of the viruses that are congesting the hell out of the network, work mainly on port 80- so web browsing is incredibly slow, but since most of the other ports aren't influenced, using a proxy to get around those ports works pretty well.

Just look through the options of most other programs. Most do have a tab or such for proxy settings, and you can probably use that temporarily until your RezCon-equivilents fix all of the issues.

lol i found out that all the RAs are using this proxy, even the 'tech' guy who doesn't know shit but is supposed to help us, no wonder no one listens to our complaints.

The more people that use the proxy, the slower it will become. Thats probably why the 'tech' guy isn't telling you about it.

Back