door-mounted fans

Momo

Gawd
Sooo... i've got a GTX970 from MSI with the twin-frozr V. Pretty awesome cooler.

I'd like to avoid it's spinning up if I can with case airflow.

That brings me to the side-panel options on my Corsair 550D.

Current setup:

AIO mounted at the rear, push/pull 120mm gentle typhoons at 1450rpm.
single 120mm GT1450 intake at front upper unobstructed 1450rpm
120mm single noctua @ 1200rpm front bottom (cooling 2ssd, 1 spun hdd racked)
psu is in separate chamber at bottom.
top is blocked off by cover.
side is blocked by cover.

so yeah, not that my case is loud, it's really quite quiet. I just figure I should try the door mounted option, see if it can get better with a couple low RPM fans there as they would surely be a better tone than the GPU fans.

Wondering if I should use two exhaust 140mm fans there, or two intake?
Never used door mounted options before.

If all those fans are running at 100% that seems loud enough that you shouldn't be able to hear the card unless it really pushes its fans during load. Also, side mounted fans will bring the noise up quite a bit compared to the current setup.

Have you used these fans? Seems like you haven't, they are very quiet :) ... on top of that, the 550d is a quiet case, it's designed to do just that. I'm just wondering if i can substitute the tonality of the GPU fans for the larger fans, basically, and which orientation would be best to try it out.

The GPU fans hit around 55-60%% if i recall correctly.

... you totally failed to answer my question, by the way.
Sounds like you have some experience with the side mounted fans.
Exhaust or intake most effective at GPU cooling?

I believe intake if your case is overall negative pressure. If it's positive pressure, then outtake.

Have you used these fans? Seems like you haven't, they are very quiet :) ... on top of that, the 550d is a quiet case, it's designed to do just that. I'm just wondering if i can substitute the tonality of the GPU fans for the larger fans, basically, and which orientation would be best to try it out.

The GPU fans hit around 55-60%% if i recall correctly.

... you totally failed to answer my question, by the way.
Sounds like you have some experience with the side mounted fans.
Exhaust or intake most effective at GPU cooling?

We have different definitions of quiet, then.

Anyway, it depends on many factors so you will have to experiment to see which direction works best for you. Also, you could try a custom fan profile for the GPU to see if you can make it quiet and still have it cooled enough.

I've found that side mounted fans don't really fluctuate GPUs temperatures by all that much. I had two of them on my CM 690 II case in three configurations. It didn't see much difference unless I used one of my delta 120mm fans. They are extremely loud though. I experimented with a push/push, pull/pull and push/pull setup on the two side vents.

If you are really concerned with noise then put them under water.

Interesting Skillz. Thanks for the input. You probably could have turned off the GPU fans with taht Delta!!

I'm not concerned with the current levels of noise... more curious than anything. Wouldn't be [H] posting if I wasn't ;)

The current setup is extremely quiet, even without changing the fan curve at all on the GPU.

Speaking of the GPU, it's got the fans turn off below 60c feature which is great imho.
Can MSI afterburner do this with a custom fan curve?
I don't seem to recall a 'minimum fan speed field' which could be set to zero anywhere.

Back