Doom's Single-Player Campaign Lasts 13 Hours

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Developers tend to stretch this kind of thing, so I’m going to assume it’s more like 9 or 10 hours.

A common criticism of FPSs these days is that the singleplayer campaign is too short, and kind-of half-assed. Bethesda's upcoming Doom reboot though is aiming to put story first, and today the official Doom Twitter account has commented on just how long the game will be. "The difficulty level plays a factor," said the developer, "but folks playing at the office average 13+ hours in the campaign."

That's still too short. It took me a few days of couple hour sessions to finish Halo 5

It's hard to judge how long a game will take to finish. Like any other game, some people will blast through to the end of this game in just a few hours, and others will piddle along exploring everything and take 2-4 times as long.

That's still too short. It took me a few days of couple hour sessions to finish Halo 5

Saw JP and AnneMunition beat that in 1 night on legendary or whatever the hard mode is called on that.

Seems the 10ish hour mark is common these days.

It's hard to judge how long a game will take to finish. Like any other game, some people will blast through to the end of this game in just a few hours, and others will piddle along exploring everything and take 2-4 times as long.

If the game is linear which all doom games are then it means you have virtually nothing to explore but just the path set forth.

agreed.
just look at the old speedruns of quake.

@OblivionLord
Did you play the old doom games ? cause they were less liniaere then many modern shooter ( excluding sandbox/openworld games). it had a lot of backtracking

Being a Doom enthusiast, I preordered this last year. I will be fine so long as there are no sections with constantly regenerating enemies. That was one of the issues I had with Descent series as it keeps you from being able to explore. Come to think of it, I want a new Descent game. I still cannot forget playing Descent 2 after 3DFX released Voodoo support.

What used to be the norm in terms of SP game time for FPS games anyways? Seems like most FPS games tend to run on the low side, especially the ones that focus more on the MP aspect. I can't recall playing a CoD SP campaign that lasted more than 6 hours.

I remember spending up to nearly 17 hours for games like FEAR. I also vaguely remember the PCGamer review for FEAR stating that the game could take up to 20 hours to complete.

Cool. That means it'll take me 30 hours. Over the course of 6 months.

That's fine with me. That's a fairly long game for a standard FPS. RPG should be much longer. FPS? 13 hours (even 10 hours) sounds about right. That's an all day thing. I'm good with it.

13 hours (which really equals 8-10 hours) is 1 year later 9.99 sale territory for me.

I remember it taking me a week or so to beat Half Life 2 but you can't really except anything to be on par with that.

If the game is linear which all doom games are then it means you have virtually nothing to explore but just the path set forth.

fps_level_design.jpg

Last time I paid 60 bucks for a game I finished it in about 7 hours. That was diablo 3. Since then I have several hundred more hours into the game.

Time before that was portal 2 and I finished it in like 5 hours and never touched it again.

So for me 13 hours could be allot or very very little. Not amped enough for it to buy it till there is either a strong multiplayer community or is 10 bucks whichever comes first.

Last time I paid 60 bucks for a game I finished it in about 7 hours. That was diablo 3. Since then I have several hundred more hours into the game.

Time before that was portal 2 and I finished it in like 5 hours and never touched it again.

So for me 13 hours could be allot or very very little. Not amped enough for it to buy it till there is either a strong multiplayer community or is 10 bucks whichever comes first.

I would expect a strong MP the first few weeks as people rush to the game being that it is doom, if they stay or not is the question. Personally I didn't care for the MP alpha so I have no desire to ever play that part of the game again. if anything I will wait till the game is $3 and get it to play through the single player maybe.

DOOM, the original deathmatch. If that is factually wrong I don't care. So glad they aren't turning it into a FPS RPG which is the trend now. FRAG FRAG FRAG

Maybe it's just me but I find it interesting they made sure to put the + at the end of the number. Kind of a buffer in case anyone complains that they said 13 hours. LOL (like a legal'ish CYA thing :p)

I always take my time in games. Took me over 130 hours in GTA V just to finally wander into the ending credits. Half-Life 2 took me a good 25 hours to run through the first time. Doom 3? Also probably around 20 hours or so (though that was also due to the various Labs sections all being so infuriatingly similar and full of backtracking). The question becomes not of it being long enough, but of whether I'd want to run through it again. I'm betting that I will.

Probably about ten levels lasting an hour or so, that is fine with me. It is when games have less than ten levels that I get pissed.

They should copy the design of Doom III. I still haven't finished more than 0.1% of it after all these years.

What used to be the norm in terms of SP game time for FPS games anyways? Seems like most FPS games tend to run on the low side, especially the ones that focus more on the MP aspect. I can't recall playing a CoD SP campaign that lasted more than 6 hours.

I remember spending up to nearly 17 hours for games like FEAR. I also vaguely remember the PCGamer review for FEAR stating that the game could take up to 20 hours to complete.

Loved FEAR. The Singleplayer was good and we played the multiplayer for years afterwards at LAN parties :D

13 hours (which really equals 8-10 hours) is 1 year later 9.99 sale territory for me.

Similar here, but not quite as low. If it has a short single player campaign and good multiplayer, I will get it when it hits $30 or less. I haven't bought a lot of multiplayer in years though, because it's all moved to class based, online only crap. I'd love some more straight up DM like old Doom / Quake / UT.

You obviously never played Doom (1993), Doom II: Hell on Earth (1994), Master Levels for Doom II (1995), or Final Doom (1996).

Doom III saw more of a move to linear than previous games. It still had the occasional non-linear elements where you had to backtrack or explore other sections, but nowhere on the level of previous Doom games.

Level E1M6: Central Processing. I love that level.

I think that's fine as long as there are other modes.
Too often SP shooters drag on and on, so I'd rather have a shorter/tight game than one that has more levels just for the sake of claiming it's bigger.
If it's as long as Crysis 3 (seems like it), I'm cool with that.

I just finished Doom 3... I liked it, but only after I increased the FOV and got past the first half of the game... really it would've been better had they cut most of those early base levels out. Some were really beautiful but only until you got to Hell did the pacing pick up.

I hope Doom rewards exploration, as the artists do a really good job at iD.

I've been playing doom1 lately on my iPad. The nostalgia is just an itch i must satisfy. The sound effects, the grin when you pick up a shotgun or a new gun for that matter, the demons guttural sounds, the overthetop gore and something about the simulated 3d in 2d nature of the game just makes it much better than Doom3 imo

Cool. That means it'll take me 30 hours. Over the course of 6 months.

That's fine with me. That's a fairly long game for a standard FPS. RPG should be much longer. FPS? 13 hours (even 10 hours) sounds about right. That's an all day thing. I'm good with it.

Thats where I'm at with it too. I have no problems with shorter games long as their done well. I'm at the point where I sort of prefer them, honestly (with exception to 'endless' or online MP games and RPG's). I don't need every single game to be an 80 hour epic lol I don't have time for that

That’s a good length. That’s about how long Wolfenstein was and that was prefect.

Shadow Warrior remake was a great game but it could have been a few hours shorter.

I'm fine with about 10-14 hours. That's a good length for a game these days for me without it feeling like it's being drawn out just for longevity sake. I got a lot of things going on and I can't spend more than 14 hours for a single player game.

Most shooters were about that long. Some longer, like Far Cry and HL2, but that was the norm. It has been a while since a shorter shooter/action game has come out. I do like the open world games that are longer like Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Far Cry 2-4 and Just Cause but sometimes a shorter game is nice. We can finish it in a weekend. Depends on the game to be honest. Is it paced well and are all the areas well designed? Does it have a story to carry the length and add some purpose? These things are more important than overall length. A game that drags on with no real point and ends up being repetitive or frustratingly hard because the developers can't think of a way to keep it fresh isn't good. But a rushed game isn't good either. It comes down to the project and what it aims to accomplish.

60 bucks for 10 hours of gameplay seems steep when you think about it, but we do pay 8-14 dollars for a movie for 2 hours of entertainment and then another 20-30 for a blu ray copy when its released. So that in mind, its really not that expensive.

Well I count the $60 for a game as a whole, meaning the included multiplayer. I'll play the single player and beat it, but the rest of the time will be a frag fest in multiplayer. If it were just single player, than I might be inclined to agree that it's a bit steep. I play mainly Battlefield 4 these days and looking at my hours, 500+ hours for a $60 game, that's basically 12 cents an hour. Sure I didn't include the DLC season pass, but you get the idea. I more than got my money's worth playing Battlefield 4 and hopefully DOom will provide the same level of enjoyment. I doubt 500 hours worth though :)

Back