Doom3 is much better the 2nd time around :)

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been playing allot of Doom3 single player this month :) I have to admit though, that whne the game first came out, I played it the first week, and was not too impressed, it sat on the shelf for almost a year, until I built my new rig in my sig on the left.

Now I loaded up Doom]l[ again, with settings at 1600x1200 4xAA, plays smooth as butter, but the best thing of it is, I really enjoy the game now. I came to realise this is NOT HalfLife2, but more of an old school shooter, with great atmosphere. The lighting engine is cool, play the game at night time, with the lights off, and sound cranked and you really get sucked into the game enviroment.

SO this 2nd time around for Doom3 has surprised me, never caring for the game much at first, but playing it as a brain dead shooter, with a few beers and the game is amazing

I play all the games I buy... I've beaten every one except for Far Cry, where I'm at the Volcano level. Its quite tough. :eek:

I havent played through it twice but I must admit I thought resurection of evil was awsome. Much better then doom 3.

I especially loved the new shotgun. The sewers were pretty cool also. And there was a lot of funny moments. For example when the zombies are walking down the x-ray machine.

i beat doom 3 very fast.. an immediatly uninstalled it to free space for other things lol.. I got it for $20 on a black friday deal.. i would say it was worth it..

SpeedRunner said:
I play all the games I buy... I've beaten every one except for Far Cry, where I'm at the Volcano level. Its quite tough. :eek:
That shit was VERY tough...I had to put on god mode, because I was on the same exact part for more than a month and it went from "this game is dope!" to "I just want to beat this shit"...

hang in there, you are almost done!

[/offtopic]

i said it a while ago when everyone was bashing it. i am the only one I guess who truely loved the game, I loved it when i walked out of walmart with it, and I loved it when I installed and beat it both times, It is a great game and I want more from Id they are the only developers I really care about..

HighwayAssassins said:
That shit was VERY tough...I had to put on god mode, because I was on the same exact part for more than a month and it went from "this game is dope!" to "I just want to beat this shit"...

hang in there, you are almost done!

[/offtopic]

I just beat it. Thank god the big guys are so dumb. :D

SpeedRunner said:
I just beat it. Thank god the big guys are so dumb. :D
They might be dumb ...but boy oh boy ..they sure do have some good eyesight ... :eek:

I've beaten Farcry a couple times on hardest setting ..patience is a virtue yung gwass hoppa ..

Doom 3 on the other hand .. beat it , but I don't think I did it on hardest setting. I remember gettn my butt handed to me in a couple diff spots , one where the gut guy is hanging over your head , and other where you fight that spider chick ...had a hard time in those spots , but rest of game was fairly do-able...... :)

I played farcry for 20 mins, put the cd back into the case and threw it into the closet.

Doom 3 is a blast if you play it the right way. At night, in the dark, sound cranked up and alone. You really ruined it for yourself if you played it other wise. Like going to a scary movie in teh theatre with some asshat behind you cracking jokes at every scary part.

If you like scary games try Undying. One of the all time best overall games imo.

I played it once, I was scared the whole time. Haven't gotten around to playing it again though.

I fired up RoE died when I fell off a ladder and haven't touched it since. That was 4 months ago. I've been thinking a lot about playing it again but haven't had the time.

I liked both D00M ]|[ (sorry, I really liked the way you did that hehe) and RoE but they scare the crap out of me.

I think the second half or last quarter of the game was good. Had a different feel to it.

It just got kinda monotonous. I thought it was pretty good. I always thought maybe it just should have been 12 to 15 hours, or had Hell extended, just chop a quarter of the hallway wondering out. Picked up ROE but i've just been so busy, both with work, and the shit load of PC games I've bought recently. If you're having that much fun again, go pick this up. It would be my prefered Doom revisit. :D

Firebomb said:
i said it a while ago when everyone was bashing it. i am the only one I guess who truely loved the game, I loved it when i walked out of walmart with it, and I loved it when I installed and beat it both times, It is a great game and I want more from Id they are the only developers I really care about..

I totally agree with ouy, you're not alone, I just had my copy pre-ordered at EB instead of going to wal-mart :)

Only caring about id is dangerous though. :(

Seems even id may be realigning. Weve heard from John Carmack, now you have Adrian Carmack in legal squabbles with id. Then in the background of this mess is an Activision buy out. Quakecon 2010? I hope so.

SpeedRunner said:

I stoped just past that when you enter the Building and 40 guys attack you at once.

The First time I played D00M 3 I got home from EB and installed the game, went for a pee (just in case), turned the lights down and set it to medium and played it for about 6 hours stright. I finally quit when I realized I was sweating with shock and fear.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
i beat doom 3 very fast.. an immediatly uninstalled it to free space for other things lol.. I got it for $20 on a black friday deal.. i would say it was worth it..

I remember last years black friday. Good times. :D

You nailed it right on, and that's what made Doom 3 so awesome. This is a game you DON'T want to play with your lights on. Don't forget to purchase Resurrection of Evil, as its even better. This is also a game that really requires a dolby digital capable sound system as it makes all the difference in the game.

Labrador said:
I have been playing allot of Doom3 single player this month :) I have to admit though, that whne the game first came out, I played it the first week, and was not too impressed, it sat on the shelf for almost a year, until I built my new rig in my sig on the left.

Now I loaded up Doom]l[ again, with settings at 1600x1200 4xAA, plays smooth as butter, but the best thing of it is, I really enjoy the game now. I came to realise this is NOT HalfLife2, but more of an old school shooter, with great atmosphere. The lighting engine is cool, play the game at night time, with the lights off, and sound cranked and you really get sucked into the game enviroment.

SO this 2nd time around for Doom3 has surprised me, never caring for the game much at first, but playing it as a brain dead shooter, with a few beers and the game is amazing

I need to go back and play doom3 again with SLi... it does have great creepy atmosphere... and sort of an old school shooter feel to it... it's a well done game.. I like the fact that I could jump in for a 10 minute slaughter and save and jump out... whereas with HL2, that was not as easy to do... for me that is.. my $0.02

This thread made me fire up RoE before work. I was only able to play for 10 minutes though.

Labrador said:

Isn't any game amazing if you enjoy it "with a few beers"?!

Nah. Some games that would otherwise provide some sort of entertainment are extremely boring with a few beers. RPGs are a good example.

junehhan said:
You nailed it right on, and that's what made Doom 3 so awesome. This is a game you DON'T want to play with your lights on. Don't forget to purchase Resurrection of Evil, as its even better. This is also a game that really requires a dolby digital capable sound system as it makes all the difference in the game.

Yes sir :) This game is meant to played that way. Just got done playing for close to an hour and loving it. Game has that creepy sci/fi thing going for it like the first Alien movie

Good Thread!!

I played it through to the the comm center level on my slow system.. Once I added a 6800 and OCed a bit I was able to play it at a normal rate a year later (last week) and enjoyed the hell out of it (pun intended) :p

I am building a better box and was thinking of picking up RoE, looks like a good time for cheap.

Anywho, the Last half of the game is by far the best. The tension keep building higher and higher with every level. Hell is mega cool, albeit short. The final level has the most terrifying mood to it with the stairways.. No enemies, but you expect to get killed instantly. The CyberDemon is soooooo huge! Hardest part was conserving ammo and that damn soul cube guardian.

Kritter said:
I played farcry for 20 mins, put the cd back into the case and threw it into the closet.

OFT. How much 'sneaking through the grass' can one guy stand?

TheBluePill said:
Good Thread!!

I played it through to the the comm center level on my slow system.. Once I added a 6800 and OCed a bit I was able to play it at a normal rate a year later (last week) and enjoyed the hell out of it (pun intended) :p

I am building a better box and was thinking of picking up RoE, looks like a good time for cheap.

Anywho, the Last half of the game is by far the best. The tension keep building higher and higher with every level. Hell is mega cool, albeit short. The final level has the most terrifying mood to it with the stairways.. No enemies, but you expect to get killed instantly. The CyberDemon is soooooo huge! Hardest part was conserving ammo and that damn soul cube guardian.

I stopped playing once i got to the guardian, got too frustrated with it.

I agree that Doom 3 was good for going in, playing for 10 mins, then jumping out. Half Life 2 just sucks you in. This thread is making me want to go back and finish though. It's funny how every time a new enemy appears i was like "oh shit!" then they become just another bad guy to kill. I freaked out the first time the two hell knights appeared right before you get to hell. Now i just run up close and take them out with the shotgun. Three shots and they're dead :D

Well if Doom]l[ is this cool to play, I can only hope that Quake4 is even better

beanman101283 said:
I stopped playing once i got to the guardian, got too frustrated with it.

I agree that Doom 3 was good for going in, playing for 10 mins, then jumping out. Half Life 2 just sucks you in. This thread is making me want to go back and finish though. It's funny how every time a new enemy appears i was like "oh shit!" then they become just another bad guy to kill. I freaked out the first time the two hell knights appeared right before you get to hell. Now i just run up close and take them out with the shotgun. Three shots and they're dead :D

It was the other way around for me, I kept playing doom3 till it was done and wanted more. Half-Life2, however, took some vacation time between sittings cause I just wasnt motivated to continue in areas.

Lord of Shadows said:
It was the other way around for me, I kept playing doom3 till it was done and wanted more. Half-Life2, however, took some vacation time between sittings cause I just wasnt motivated to continue in areas.

Me too sort of, played Doom3 for a day or so at first, till I upgraded this year, now playing it every night. HalfLife2 I played for a week staright, did not finish, got bored

busta_cap said:
OFT. How much 'sneaking through the grass' can one guy stand?
I never sneaked. I got out the biggest gun I could find and shot the first thing that moved.

Doom3 and RoE are just fine in SLI. The graphics improvement you get in SLI is awesome. Ive played both again after about 6 or 8 months on the shelf and the graphic differences are very cool. very much worth it.....cant wait for Quake 4. :D

Labrador said:
Me too sort of, played Doom3 for a day or so at first, till I upgraded this year, now playing it every night. HalfLife2 I played for a week staright, did not finish, got bored

Advancing the Plot in HL2 was the biggest moivator for me to finish it, and then an even bigger let down at the end than HL1

OP, you should try RoE now.

I found it a whole lot better than the original. Double barrel shotgun has a lot of "omph" and there is more action/lights in my opinion. And the "gravity" gun is used differently than HL2 so it's pretty fun to play with.

Also think it's a tad bit scarier.

TheBluePill said:
Advancing the Plot in HL2 was the biggest moivator for me to finish it, and then an even bigger let down at the end than HL1

Where as in Doom 3 it was more a "OHGODOHGODOHGODI'MGOINGTODIE" when you play at night with the sound cranked. I think it is much eaiser to jump into HL2 and play for a bit then it is to with Doom, although I haven't finished either game.

talley said:
Where as in Doom 3 it was more a "OHGODOHGODOHGODI'MGOINGTODIE" when you play at night with the sound cranked. I think it is much eaiser to jump into HL2 and play for a bit then it is to with Doom, although I haven't finished either game.

Maybe i'm just a wuss, but the tension level in Doom just got to me. It wasn't fun for me cuz i was always afraid somethign was going to pop out at me and rip my head off. Although to be honest, head crabs jumping out at me from dark corners in Half Life scares the shit out of me too. :eek:

Back