"Doom3 Graphics Deathmatch" - Anandtech

This is a few days old, but what the heck. Few questions about this "review"

Doom3graph.jpg

How is the 9800 Pro, faster than the 9800XT? And why is the 9800XT and the 9700 Pro the same? This just makes no sense to me.

Doom3graph2.jpg

How is the XT/PE faster at 1600x1200, than 1024x768 with the same settings? They look to be the same to me, maybe Im wrong.

They have since updated the scores with the 4.9 beta drivers, close to 20% increase with the XT/PE at higher res+quality. Around 5% for the Pro.

Interesting numbers for sure. Makes me glad I can play a $50 game without spending $400 to $500 on a new video card ;)

BillR

Makes me even happier with my $150 net cost 6800nu ($300 - $150 for selling current card)

fallguy said:
They have since updated the scores with the 4.9 beta drivers, close to 20% increase with the XT/PE at higher res+quality. Around 5% for the Pro.

I think there was some error with the x800xtpe that was corrected, or so i read at r3d. At least now the 1024x768/1600x1200 scores are in line.

I see they have updated the graph now. They were only about 45 frames (or 100%) off... Anand's seems to be screwing up a lot lately.

fallguy said:
I see they have updated the graph now. They were only about 45 frames (or 100%) off... Anand's seems to be screwing up a lot lately.

I actually think anand has been doing well. When other sites screw up, they leave it screwed up (ie trilinear opts being uneven - xbitlabs review). Or some screw up on purpose (driverheaven). Anand has been pretty even handed and fixed mistakes when they arise.

Their last notable huge mistake was, not turning on AA when reviewing Farcry with the 1.2 patch to show the PS3.0 speed increase. They just turned it on in the drivers, and didnt set it to app pref, and on in the game. AA wasnt on in any of their tests.. thats a pretty large mistake to me.

I still dont understand how the 9800XT can be 5 frames slower than the 9800 Pro 128meg. And how the 9800XT and 9700 Pro are the same speed.

fallguy said:
Their last notable huge mistake was, not turning on AA when reviewing Farcry with the 1.2 patch to show the PS3.0 speed increase. They just turned it on in the drivers, and didnt set it to app pref, and on in the game. AA wasnt on in any of their tests.. thats a pretty large mistake to me.

At least it wasn't intentional, not like people who leave the tri opts off for Nvidia cards and call it a fair match.

Back