Doom3/3dmark 03 artifacts stock speeds

oldsk00l

n00b
Now I am NOT overclocked.

Now that I got that out of the way....

The types of artifacts are not white, they are in fact black. They show up on textures that mainly have a color variance, ie a white or lit texture with black nearby to it, or in any generally light colored or bright areas I get tons of them. Little black squares that stay the same size from the viewing perspective regardless of resolution.

I also noticed these same exact types of artifacts in 3dMark 03 alot during the troll test but none of them appear during the nature scene. It strikes me that this may be a stencil problem with the memory, and that ATI cards generally handle this poorly.

Are there any fixes anyone has confronted that has worked against these problems?

I have tried all the catalysts and omegas from 4.4 and up to 4.9. I have tried disabling my fastwrites, and the only thing that helped was to underclock my RAM by about 50MHz....which is unacceptable also - the 50Mhz underclock on RAM fixed the problems for all hardware I tested.

Note, that my 5900XT exhibits no such problems, yet I have tried 3 different variations of ATI cards that exhibit this problem.

The machine is a VIA KT333 based AthlonXP 2500 system, with 512MB of DDR333 RAM, and the 3 cards I have tested are all powercolors, a 9700 non pro, a 9700 Pro, and a 9800 Pro.

how is your case airflow?

I have a 9800pro myself using the 4.8 drivers and have never seen any artifacts in 3dmark 03 and my card is overclocked(see sig)

My PSU is good, Antec 430W truepower. I don't suspect it's airflow either, I'm going to try some RAMsinks on the 9700np, but I do have a fan directly adjacent to the CPU blowing out, and I have rounded IDE cables, ventilation holes in a diamond configuration measuring about 1 1/2 inches long and .75 in. high, with about 6 of those configurations of holes in line with eachother on both sides of the case on top and bottom going horizontally on the case front to back. I also have another case fan in the front at the bottom blowing in, and my PSU has two fans I believe.

The thing is, two of these cards belong to friends of mine who asked me to try them on my system, they both own nForce2 mobo's, not sure of make, and I think one of them has a 350W PSU that came with his system, and the other has a 400W PSU he put in later not sure of brand.

However, exact same symptoms occur on all 3 cards. The only real commonality is that these cards are powercolor, and I'm thinking it has to do with a Powercolor problem.

Thanks for the feedback tho!

oldsk00l said:
My PSU is good, Antec 430W truepower. I don't suspect it's airflow either, I'm going to try some RAMsinks on the 9700np, but I do have a fan directly adjacent to the CPU blowing out, and I have rounded IDE cables, ventilation holes in a diamond configuration measuring about 1 1/2 inches long and .75 in. high, with about 6 of those configurations of holes in line with eachother on both sides of the case on top and bottom going horizontally on the case front to back. I also have another case fan in the front at the bottom blowing in, and my PSU has two fans I believe.

The thing is, two of these cards belong to friends of mine who asked me to try them on my system, they both own nForce2 mobo's, not sure of make, and I think one of them has a 350W PSU that came with his system, and the other has a 400W PSU he put in later not sure of brand.

However, exact same symptoms occur on all 3 cards. The only real commonality is that these cards are powercolor, and I'm thinking it has to do with a Powercolor problem.

Thanks for the feedback tho!

Hmm, well obvious question: Does it happen on your friends systems? Your saying you see the artifacts but what about them?

I had artifacts on Doom3 at stock speeds too, its 100 degrees where my computer is so i just got a vga silencer and now i dont get any artifacts at stock or even a bit overclocked

this happened to my friends vid card. We just o/ced it a bit and it didnt get anymore artifacts. Try that once...

hmm, never thought of oc'ing it...

oh btw, yes it does happen on all their systems, they asked me about it actually.

Back