Doom

damstr

[H]ard|Gawd
So for those of you that saw the Bethesda stream on Twitch what did you think?

IMO it was a little disappointing. I was expecting more of a horror based game. From what I remember of Doom 3 when I last played it (2004/05) it was way more scary. Remember when the game first came out you couldn't have your flashlight and weapon out at the same time? Yeah those were fun times!

They could've just showed the more action packed part of the game but I just feel like the whole game is going to be like this. Hopefully I'm proven wrong!

you are correct about the pacing of D3... however, the original Doom games were about slaughtering demons wholesale style.

I think the gameplay looks good. The lighting effects are pretty spiffy too. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Like what I saw. Doom and Doom 2 are about speed, secrets, and clearing rooms full of enemies in seconds. Doom 3 was a pretty large deviation from this, Doom is just going back to its roots now.

I thought it looked amazing. I did not like Doom 3 at all. The level design was shit, the pacing was horrible, it was filled with terrible design decisions. Guns felt terrible to shoot.

This looks very Doom like. Fuck it being scary, Doom was never about being scary. It had some creepy designs, but it was always about being fun and gory. The pacing looks amazing.

My biggest fear is the game becoming repetitive. I know they will pull it off and make another great Doom game. I've loved them all it's just Doom 3 is the freshest Doom experience I remember so maybe that's why I was thinking it would be more horror and less action.

I think i need a thesaurus to describe how awful it looks. They clearly have no idea what the hell made doom great, seriously it only takes like a hour to discover why it's so loved. Where are the hordes of enemies? Even with only displaying maybe 5 enemies at once the graphics were still lame as hell. The environments look very closed in making for poor combat navigation. Does idtech 6 suck that bad that they had to down scale the game that much?

On top of that why the slow as shit reloads, movement, and being locked into take down animations? Game play looks anything but tight and responsive.

Last edited:
Doom 3 was the first Doom game I played so that is what I imagine when I think of the franchise...I don't want it to be a generic space FPS...hopefully they add in more horror elements along the lines of Alien Isolation

Doom 3 was the first Doom game I played so that is what I imagine when I think of the franchise...I don't want it to be a generic space FPS...hopefully they add in more horror elements along the lines of Alien Isolation

Doom was the first FPS I played and is still something I hold other FPS games up against. I would like a shooter that took what Doom 3 was trying to do and gets it right, but I want Doom to be more like 1 and 2.

Graphically, it looked great but the footage they showed displayed very few monsters onscreen at once, which is a huge disappointment for me. This was like Doom 3.5 to me.

Not graphically - in the sense that Doom 3 displayed very few monsters onscreen at once also. Unlike Doom 1/2, where we saw hoards of monsters onscreen at once.

I get that but that one element doesn't make it Doom 3.5. It very clearly is different form Doom 3. It's a lot closer to 1 and 2 or Wolfenstien: TNO.

I get that but that one element doesn't make it Doom 3.5. It very clearly is different form Doom 3. It's a lot closer to 1 and 2 or Wolfenstien: TNO.

Well, I disagree, and it's nowhere close to being 1 or 2, but to each their own. :) I'm still hoping the game turns out well, as Doom is one of my favorite games of all time.

Well, I disagree, and it's nowhere close to being 1 or 2, but to each their own. :) I'm still hoping the game turns out well, as Doom is one of my favorite games of all time.

It's not quite 1 or 2, but I'd say it's much closer to those than Doom 3. Then again I really hated Doom 3 so there is some bias there.

Horrible.
Everything is super bright and colors seem severely de-saturated.
On top of that, add 5 enemies MAX per encounter, complete lack of modern AI (some enemies are just stationary!), pause to switch weapons, game-stopping insta-kills, literally the same exact enemies as in Doom 3, same exact environments + FILTER OF ORANGE.....and....... uses the garbage id Tech Engine. Yeah, I have no hopes for this game, unfortunate really.

You know, it really doesn't look nearly as good as I was expecting. At some points it even looks like Doom 3 with only slightly better graphics. I was expecting more eye candy from a successor of a game that's 11 years old and counting. Now I'm still looking forward to it, and I'm sure it will still be awesome.... but.... meh.....

Doom 3 was 'lights go dim, music starts, random monster pops out from dark hidden place to try and scare you' x endless repeat, wasn't it?

This looks like Doom is going back to its roots, even the multiplayer seems more nostalgic and with the new user created levels (with the worst name ever) should offer a lot of variety.

Ill best honest I liked what I saw. Doom 4 MP trailer....It looks like quake 3 quick if anyone knows what I mean.

Feels to me way quicker movements then in doom 3. ...Not sure if I explained it right?

Doom 1-2 were quick fast paced games when I played.

Very disappointed. The dark look/atmosphere is gone, its like a Call of Duty arena shooter now.

I'm glad it's less like Doom 3 but it's still not quite what I was hoping for. I'll probably still end up buying it but won't be too surprised if I get bored of it pretty quickly.

Very disappointed. The dark look/atmosphere is gone, its like a Call of Duty arena shooter now.

I'm not the most well versed person in CoD games but really dude? It looks nothing like any of the COD games I've played.

Looks alright but the press E feels boring so u can just press a button and kill enemies like that ?... i hope they will add more gore i thought it was a bit low, even dead space games has more gore when they killes enemies there seems not be much splatter on walls and floor, it just vanishes hope they fix that in final release.

I guess this is as fast as games get in the console era, but it's still too slow for Doom. The level design doesn't look that inspired from the clip either, but I'll wait to fully judge that until we get more media.

It's really difficult to judge AI or level design in a trailer. Also, they slowed down "glory shots" for dramatic effect; I bet in the game that is all faster or optional.

I'm surprised it's taking another year before we will see it. Thought for sure it was coming out this year.

I'm pretty excited for it, I grew up on Doom 1 + 2 (never really got into Doom 3's 'horror'-style).

The executions didn't bother me, they seemed quick and brutal. Also, loving the freedom of movement. Multiplayer looks like an extension of the classic fast pace Quake-style combat - which is great and we're due for a new generation of that style of play.

And the emphasis on modding is great - I could see the community making some great content with these tools (I'm sure we'll see Doom 3 horror-style gameplay from the community).

My only complaint was the cacodemon should've been more red. He reminded me of a floating turd from the screenshot I seen.

WOW looks pretty nice I suppose they had to make it all RED like that.....You could make it Dark I suppose but then it wouldn't feel the same cause it would hide the good graphics.

Little worried about 2 things - The maps and ammo

D1/2 had amazing and huge maps. Many of them where like puzzles with the player trying to figure out how to open each area.

Ammo was tightly controlled in D1/2. Mobs didn't drop shit, the player had to scavenge for everything. Yeah, the game was a shoot-em-up, but the ::OH SHIT!:: moments would pop in when you opened up a door that had 30 Pinkies and a Cyber Demon that you where not prepared for.

I guess if nothing else the community will make some bad ass maps...including the original games :D

::OH SHIT!:: moments would pop in when you opened up a door that had 30 Pinkies and a Cyber Demon that you where not prepared for.

To add to this: here's hoping Doom 4 has true infighting in it. Watching a Cyberdemon and a Spider Mastermind duke it out was always fun. Or a Cyberdemon fighting a bunch of Barons.

Little worried about 2 things - The maps and ammo

D1/2 had amazing and huge maps. Many of them where like puzzles with the player trying to figure out how to open each area.

Ammo was tightly controlled in D1/2. Mobs didn't drop shit, the player had to scavenge for everything. Yeah, the game was a shoot-em-up, but the ::OH SHIT!:: moments would pop in when you opened up a door that had 30 Pinkies and a Cyber Demon that you where not prepared for.

I guess if nothing else the community will make some bad ass maps...including the original games :D
Ammo dropped off the human mobs in the originals. Humans dropped clips, Sergeants dropped shells, and Heavy Weapon Dudes dropped chainguns.

Ill best honest I liked what I saw. Doom 4 MP trailer....It looks like quake 3 quick if anyone knows what I mean.

Feels to me way quicker movements then in doom 3. ...Not sure if I explained it right?

Doom 1-2 were quick fast paced games when I played.

I understand precisely. Really hoping MP is fleshed out nicely for some good ole twitch deathmatch.

One of the nice thing about Doom was that you could play it fast or slow if you wanted to. Personally, I crept around corners and picked off guys a few at a time.

All you people complaining that this isn't "fast paced" or lacks "hordes" of enemies ... I'm not sure we played the same Doom*.

*-Doom 2 tended to use more enemies than Doom.

"Thy Flesh Consumed" (Episode 4) would like to have a word with you :D.

I thought Doom II ramped up the difficulty in a nice curve, to the point where it got absolutely ridonkulous at the end.

Halo 5 looks 10x better than Doom from the gameplay they just showed. Doom really looked not much better than Doom 3.

Allow me to be the first to say that this looks nothing like DOOM.

Back