DOOM Open Beta Goes Live Tonight

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't forget guys, the DOOM open beta goes live tonight at midnight. The closed beta didn't impress me at all and the Steam reviews are pretty harsh but at least it will give you something free to play this weekend besides the Battleborn beta. Here's about an hour and a half of multiplayer footage for those of you that want to check out the game without having to download the 10GB beta on Steam:

In the DOOM Multiplayer Beta, fans will have the opportunity to play the brutally fun and challenging shooter weeks before its release. The Beta will feature two maps, Heatwave and Infernal, and two modes, Team Deathmatch and Warpath, along with never-before-seen weapons, armor sets, taunts and hack modules.

The Steam client isn't showing the preload option yet (shut down and restarted it twice and it just has the preorder button). Initiating the download from the web store does work however.

Is this game cross platform? Cuz I'd love to frag some console playing 12yr olds

You have to open the Steam Store page and click PLAY NOW to get the game to DL.

hope this isnt like duke nuked 3d flop ended up to be

LoL at Gamersradar for giving this title a “The Doom beta is already the most exciting FPS of 2016”

Gamersradar, how much were you paid to give that review.........................

How the world has changed. Doom was all about huddling up to a keyboard on a 386 with a 14" monitor in the dark while your buddy watched and crapped his pants. Now people are layed back on a couch with a controller, having internet voyeurs watch them while they look like they are watching a boring soap opera.

Why does it look so much like UT ?

Man look at the reflections on the walls, it looks just like Unreal Engine

Yeah, I really want to see it first hand and see if it looks as bad as it does in the videos. Looked like Halo to me....but hopefully we were just seeing dumbed down console footage.

Remember Rage ?

Indeed I do. Excellent game. Still play it.

As far as Doom goes, the videos actually have looked pretty good to me, but it really would be nice to see people playing it with a mouse and keyboard. It gets frustrating watching people slide and shuffle around, missing targets, grossly overcorrecting, etc. I was watching the linked video, and wanted to yell at the screen. :D

No modding.
Snap map limited to 4 player maps, not mods.
Limited to 60 FPS.
Slow as fuckin beans.
No dedicated servers.
Three DLC packs already planned.

Yeah.. I'm hyped!

That's games for you. Show me a big game like this that your list doesn't apply to. Also the slow thing is subjective. It's faster than a lot of other games, even some recent id games. Quake 3 Arena it is not though, I'll grant you that. People that don't adjust to the times are going to suffer a lot of disappointment. It's not like we can't still load up the old games though and play them. It appears to me that id is walking a fine line here, trying to please fans as much as they can without alienating the mainstream. Do anything else, and you lose half your sales.

Some things I'm seeing really reminds me of Quake 2.

I also liked Rage, at least from an artistic standpoint...

The more I see the more it's reminding me of Quake 2.

I also liked Rage, at least from an artistic standpoint...

It does seem a bit like Quake 2. Which is not a bad thing.

Kyle's Thoughts

I want my damn money back.

f'n funny! I didn't even bother with this one...

Kyle's Thoughts

I want my damn money back.

f'n funny! I didn't even bother with this one...

You're missing out on what is arguably THE BEST Borderlands game (after Borderlands 1, 2 and the pre-sequel)

20160414_135411.jpg

That said, I just waited and mine loaded up fine with SLI pretty quickly.

That's games for you. Show me a big game like this that your list doesn't apply to. Also the slow thing is subjective. It's faster than a lot of other games, even some recent id games. Quake 3 Arena it is not though, I'll grant you that. People that don't adjust to the times are going to suffer a lot of disappointment. It's not like we can't still load up the old games though and play them. It appears to me that id is walking a fine line here, trying to please fans as much as they can without alienating the mainstream. Do anything else, and you lose half your sales.
I forgot the limited weapon loadout, what 2?

If anyone is expected to break this trash model is it id/Bethesda with Doom. Someone needs to do it.

Too much money whoring and peddling to consoles. Consoles can't juggle 10 weapons, so lets limit ALL platforms to 2! Consoles cant render past 60 FPS, so lets make it easy on the devs and force 60 FPS to all! Stupid fuckin ideas. Burn your money on this game. This game isn't worth nostalgia for me. Like you said I have older games for that. There are more pleasing current gen games for me also. Arma 3 and The Culling F-T-W. Doom/Quake as we know it is dead. Embrasure the current gen master race. Quake/Doom moving forward is fart dust. https://www.reddit.com/r/ArenaFPS is where to go for REAL arena shooters to look forward to.

Yea, I need a first hand viewing, this video is horrible, and both of them are horrible, I would own both of them so much. This reminds me a little of quake 3 deathmatch with different skins. The only cool thing I see so far are the glory kills.

just played a few games

graphically, it's underwhelming, the blood streaming from the ceiling looks hideous

the gameplay is fine but its definitely not fast enough, and it's not an arena shooter

server performance has sucked so far, my latency is frequently over 120ms

Yeah lag was an issue when I was on last night too. I saw one guy that supposedly had 0 I was next lowest with 80 everyone else was over 100. Then I shot up to 189 everyone else was over 200. It was all over the place! And I got a pretty fat pipe at 250mb...

I don't think this game is running at low settings though, performance seems in line with benchmarks from pcgameshardware.de

my system is def not running on low! 80-90% gpu load, 60-70 cpu load, ALL 3Gb vram filled and 450+ d-vram. plays and looks good to me but I admit that I have not kept current with FPS games. it does seem more like halo or ut though...

my system is def not running on low! 80-90% gpu load, 60-70 cpu load, ALL 3Gb vram filled and 450+ d-vram. plays and looks good to me but I admit that I have not kept current with FPS games. it does seem more like halo or ut though...

25% cpu load, 60-70 gpu load at stock 1440p

Tried out the beta. Won't be getting Doom unless it has a long, co-op campaign. Really sick of competitve DM and I don't care for the change to loadouts rather than weapon pickups. The emote dances makes a mockery out of the creepy/blood/gibs/horror theme too. In fact, everything seems to feel disconnected from the mood Doom originally set.

Tried out the beta. Won't be getting Doom unless it has a long, co-op campaign. Really sick of competitve DM and I don't care for the change to loadouts rather than weapon pickups. The emote dances makes a mockery out of the creepy/blood/gibs/horror theme too. In fact, everything seems to feel disconnected from the mood Doom originally set.

The horrors of Daisy the bunny!!!!

Daisy

I nearly forgot about this. Yes, this is the stupidest thing they could have done. I can adapt to all of the gameplay changes. I can step into the now, for better or worse as far as multiplayer mechanics. The one thing that I find absolutely asinine, and in no way related to Doom, is the fucking dancing!!! Ugh!!! I'll get right on board with the hate on this item.

Otherwise, I thought the beta was medium levels of fun, and I could see it be a lot of fun provided they tighten up mouse control, provide a lot more options, etc. But the dancing?!?!??! Shall I puke now, or shall I puke later?

Back