Doom Multiplayer Beta Previews

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now that the DOOM multiplayer beta has come and gone, the previews are coming in from around the internet. Some reviews say that something just doesn't feel right about the game while others say even though they really liked it, at the same time, they also share the opinion that the game needs work before launch day.

But the biggest problem is that none of this feels like a DOOM game, or an iD game. A friend of mine was right when he warned that the game feels — and plays — like one of those indie shooters “inspired by the greats of the 1990’s”. So far, this DOOM doesn’t feel like one of the greats. It feels like a pretender. And with just over a month until release, I’m crossing my fingers in the hope that there’s something I haven’t seen that changes that.

The person who wrote that kotaku article seems to know what they're talking about. Sadly it confirms what I felt simply by watching these silly MP trailers - it is more like Unreal than Doom.

As someone who's playing the new pre alpha UT game, this new Doom sure seems in tune with it, and that's a bad thing. The old days are not coming back.

I am both excited and unexcited for the new Doom. The orig Doom was very regularly played in our household back in those floppy disk days.

It didn't really reinvent itself. It still feels unoriginal. Something felt off when i saw the first demo. Just, like it didn't have that sense of isolation and desperation.

Well duh, ID doesn't exist anymore. Why would it feel like an ID game? I don't understand why anyone thought this was a good idea.

Eh -- I view it as the same thing that's been going on for a while now in Hollywood... they want to keep cashing in on mega-successes of the past. The 30-something crowd that has fond memories of the past with things like "DOOM".

Same thing is happening with the new ghostbusters movie... it's a cheap rip off of itself, re-imagined and shitty. Hoping to cash in via the people that loved the original. By the time you realize it's shit, they already have your money.

played the closed beta.. it doesn't feel like a doom game at all.... more like quake3 meets halo or something.. I dunno.. maybe the single player will be better. I wish they would demo THAT.

Granted I didn't play the beta but the videos on YouTube haven't hyped me up for the game. I don't like all the numbers on the screen and I really don't like the presence of the UT announcer nor it's voice.

played the closed beta.. it doesn't feel like a doom game at all.... more like quake3 meets halo or something.. I dunno.. maybe the single player will be better. I wish they would demo THAT.
This is how I felt playing it. It to me feels like a good shooter to relax to after work but more of a $30 pricetag. Unless the single player is amazing, it certainly doesn't feel like a $60 game at all. Just my opinion.

Call of Doom

I really enjoyed both beta sessions. Although there were some unfixed bugs from the first beta that were still there in the second (title screen click CTD - really??) - it was fun and yeah, more like Q3A than Doom but I'm down (huge Q3A fan). I plunked down my cash to pre-order.

Nostalgia is a hell of a thing. They both take advantage of it and hurt themselves with these types of "re-releases" - I think we all know how they take advantage. They hurt themselves by not knowing they can never live up to our fond memories of the original series back in the floppy days. Unfortunately, we can't really do that today, either. We are old and have responsibilities. :)

I had fun playing the beta. The only problem I had was that the game did not like my 21:9 resolution.

So it's a remake of Doom that looks and plays like Quake with combatants that look like Masterchief.......sounds like someones idea of "can't lose!" shovelware....

Well MP plays like Quake 3, which I'm fine with, but it's not anywhere near enough to justify a $60 tag. I've been more interested in the SP campaign on this and it's disconcerting they have 100% stopped talking about it in favor of a fun but overly simplistic MP experience. Hopefully they are expecting SP to speak for itself when it's released. Otherwise this is a $20 purchase from me, if I'm even still interested by the time it hits that price.

Back