DOOM IV: New/First Info...

Infaustium

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
166
...and excellent news, should they stick with their current mentality!

Taken from Shacknews

During an interview with Shacknews, id Software president John Carmack described Doom 4 as being "significantly different" than Doom 3.

When asked whether the game will be rooted in the horror genre, Carmack indicated that it will instead focus more on pure action elements a la Doom 2.

"One of the things that I come to in my limited contributions to the whole Doom 4 design process is, it has to still be you beating down the bad guys," said Carmack.

"It has to be a triumph of heavy weaponry over demonic forces in some way, and you have to be blowing demons all to hell all around you, and it's a more positive side of things there."

Carmack explained that he found some of the complaints of Doom 3's brand of horror to be "completely valid," saying that the "contrived nature of monsters hiding in a closet" and the extreme darkness were two things that caused the company to cancel its game Darkness and begin production of Rage.

Needless to say, there will be no scary little girls in the Doom 4.

"It's not that you're running around frightened down to your last bullet [in Doom 4]," added Carmack. "There will occasionally be that, but it should be much more of you winning, because that was always the point in Doom--you are the hero, and you are winning. You're going to beat back all the hordes of Hell using all the tools at your disposal."

Development of Doom 4 will be short, as very little of the id Tech 5 engine will be changed in the transition from Rage. The game will feature at least one "graphical hook," and should have three times the graphical fidelity of Rage due to a lower target framerate.

However, according to Carmack, the focus will mainly be on creating a solid gameplay experience. Carmack also reiterated that the Doom 4 will most assuredly be M-rated, and that the game's multiplayer modes will be more extensive than those in Doom 3.

id is targeting a release within this console generation, as the game is expected to hit on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Old school DOOM gameplay with new school engine/visuals? I'm ****ing stoked at the prospect!
 
...and excellent news, should they stick with their current mentality!

Taken from Shacknews



Old school DOOM gameplay with new school engine/visuals? I'm ****ing stoked at the prospect!

This is not good news for me. Doom 3 was awesome because it was dark and i was creeped the hell out and tensed up waiting for monsters around every corner. If I wanted a point and shoot and not be afraid id stick with halo 3. Theres a game where you just moe down enemies..
 
I actually liked D3 a lot, but I also loved the original Doom. I recall Trent Reznor's vice was Doom. Wonder if the fourth game will receive his seal of approval. A Serious Sam type game with demons is just what the series needs.
 
Seems pretty cool to me. Hopefully I'll be able to run it when it comes out :p
 
Well, let me rephrase that: it's good news for us "old school" DOOM freaks who loved the old school DOOM gameplay.

I personally liked D3 and what it had to offer, but many hardcore "old school" DOOM fans were hoping for a bit more of the original DOOM style gameplay, and not expecting such a linear, "on rails" experience as D3 offered.

Apparently, Carmack himself feels the same, so I guess that says something.

D3 definitely had a certain aesthetic and some of it's own great qualities to offer, but if they can incorporate some of that with the original DOOM gameplay (which is exactly what he's saying he wants to do), I think it could work out to be an excellent outcome.

As Carmack stated, he wants to go back to the balls-out action and brutality of the original DOOM, mixed with a bit of the horror atmosphere of D3, without the "monsters just jumping out of closets" aspect that D3 exuded.

I've a feeling that many old school DOOM freaks, such as myself, will be very excited to hear the news. It seems Carmack is definitely of the same mind himself, so... here's hoping (at least for some of us)!
 
This is not good news for me. Doom 3 was awesome because it was dark and i was creeped the hell out and tensed up waiting for monsters around every corner. If I wanted a point and shoot and not be afraid id stick with halo 3. Theres a game where you just moe down enemies..

Someone hasn't played on Halo 3 on legendary before.
 
I cannot wait for the new DOOM! I enjoyed the hell out of D3, but the original games are still in my top game(s) experiences of all time. I wouldn't feel bad if id went for the old school feel or the dark D3 feel. I'm an id whore though, so they couldn't do wrong by me anyways ;)

Thanks for the post!
 
...If I wanted a point and shoot and not be afraid id stick with halo 3. Theres a game where you just moe down enemies..

halo3? Oh dear lord. Is this a joke post or have you ever played a pc game?

I too am excited about the gameplay change on Doom, back to what it should be.
 
Development of Doom 4 will be short, as very little of the id Tech 5 engine will be changed in the transition from Rage. The game will feature at least one "graphical hook," and should have three times the graphical fidelity of Rage due to a lower target framerate.

However, according to Carmack, the focus will mainly be on creating a solid gameplay experience. Carmack also reiterated that the Doom 4 will most assuredly be M-rated, and that the game's multiplayer modes will be more extensive than those in Doom 3.

id is targeting a release within this console generation, as the game is expected to hit on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC

That sounds like a fantastic idea.:rolleyes:
 
I personally liked D3 and what it had to offer, but many hardcore "old school" DOOM fans were hoping for a bit more of the original DOOM style gameplay, and not expecting such a linear, "on rails" experience as D3 offered.
...have you ever played Doom...?
 
...have you ever played Doom...?

lol. My thought is somewhat related, but why did people every expect D3 to deviate from the original feel - it wouldn't be Doom?! I never understood why anyone got upset because you couldn't mount flashlights, mod weapons, or go outside more often. While I believe people have credible complaints, some of the issues are really non-issue. I lot of the RPG elements or customization systems that people wanted shouldn't be in Doom anyways. Doom always struck me as an arcade like FPS – Fun and simple. Of course the game is linear; the game is based on a linear concept of good vs. evil - so let’s leave it at that...that’s what newer IP’s are for anyways ;)
 
I really liked the horror aspect of Doom 3. I hope D4 doesn't turn out to be just waves of monsters to be mowed down. That'd make D4 another Painkiller which basically was 'kill each and every bad guy to advance to the next level." Knowing ID, they won't let that happen.
 
I'm with Carmack on the contrived nature of Doom 3's brand of "horror". I got tired of monsters popping out of the walls every ten feet. I got tired of the Flashlight Juggle. And I just plain got pissed off at the cutscenes that forced you to sit idly by as a monster approached within feet of you...because that's what I'd do, stand there and stare dumbly at a creature as it walks/runs/crawls up, probably planning on eating me.

Doom 3 sucked as a horror game. It surprised me plenty, but any three year old can jump out and yell boo.
 
I really liked the horror aspect of Doom 3. I hope D4 doesn't turn out to be just waves of monsters to be mowed down. That'd make D4 another Painkiller which basically was 'kill each and every bad guy to advance to the next level." Knowing ID, they won't let that happen.

Ever play Wolfenstein 3D? Doom? Doom 2? Quake? Quake 2?

Doom 3 was a radical departure from id's usual format, which is exactly what you just described.
 
meh.
let me know when theres a demo.

At least he publicly acknowledged the major complaints with Doom 3.
 
I recall Trent Reznor's vice was Doom. Wonder if the fourth game will receive his seal of approval.
Hopefully label entanglements won't keep him from doing sound design for it this time (because he's sans-label these days). If the issue with Doom 3 was due to a label entanglement, anyway.

That sounds like a fantastic idea.:rolleyes:
With Tech 5, cross-platform development is instant and totally transparent. Only the Mac version requires an extra conversion step. John's been building this platform for four years straight and, apparently, it puts an end to the complications of cross-platform development and shitty port jobs.
 
I admit Doom 3 was a game I HATED/LOVED to play. I hated playing it alone at 11PM and in the dark. My heart just couldnt take it. I loved watching my friends play it for the first time and them jumping out of their skin when a monster comes thru the cieling.

So I am glad the focus is on action this time. I love Carmack's honesty about things. I really admire the guy.
 
I liked Doom 3 and I have no problem with I'D going to a different format for D4, it's all good. I too am a confessed I'd whore I love all their games and have played the shit out of each and every one. (especially Quake3) :)
 
With Tech 5, cross-platform development is instant and totally transparent. Only the Mac version requires an extra conversion step. John's been building this platform for four years straight and, apparently, it puts an end to the complications of cross-platform development and shitty port jobs.

I was referring to the low frame rate.
 
Ever play Wolfenstein 3D? Doom? Doom 2? Quake? Quake 2?

Doom 3 was a radical departure from id's usual format, which is exactly what you just described.
Of those you listed, I played only Quake 2 which was a great game. Q2 was not just waves of monsters to be shot down until the body count was high enough to advance a level (like Painkiller). If Doom 4 is similar in style to Q2 then I'd have no problems with it.
 
I was referring to the low frame rate.


At the point when the game is released, it makes sense to bump down the frame rate to compensate for the console processing power. That’s okay with me though, because Carmack stated at Quakecon that DOOM will probably run at 60Hz on the PC. I can live with that!
 
I was referring to the low frame rate.
Gotcha. Well, Quake 4 and Prey both ran at around 30fps on the X360, and it seems like they played okay, though admittedly neither were anything like Doom 2.
 
I liked Doom 3 alot, this seems a bit iffy. Sounds to me like there dumbing it down and putting doom on "easy mode".

Hopefully "graphically" its will bring new things to the table. As D3 did, but seeing how its being created for consoles aswell, Im worried.
 
Someone hasn't played on Halo 3 on legendary before.

Someone must not be very good at Halo 3 Legendary. I beat it in two days. Its just waves of enemies. There's no "freak out" factor, like there was in doom 3.
 
...have you ever played Doom...?

"...hardcore DOOM fans such as myself..." wasn't clear enough for you?

I've been PC gaming since it's inception, and have played every DOOM title (i.e. including on N64) that's been released more times than I'd probably care to count.

I don't understand why you quoted that part of my post, then asked such a purposely sarcastic question, so I've no idea how to even respond to such.

Unless you were referring to D3, in which case yes, the same deal... had it and played it numerous times.

Many fans of old school DOOM, such as myself, were not expecting D3 to be quite as linear as it was. Of course, most games are "linear" to some extent, so if that's why you questioned me, assuming I was saying the original DOOM was not linear, I wasn't talking "in general". I was referring to the same thing Carmack was, which was the fact that DOOM was always mass amounts of enemies and rampant shooting of everything in sight, in some much bigger environments, and not just a couple of monsters jumping out of a "closet".

Do you find it entertaining to be sarcastic for no reason?
Because you obviously missed something yourself in what I said, and taking a snip of one sentence, it's totally out of context.
Or, you didn't make yourself clear as to which DOOM you were referring.
Either way, it's obvious I've been a hardcore DOOM fan since the beginning, so the question was unnecessarily sarcastic and extraordinarily pointless.

At least there are some more intelligent responses in this thread, and from some who seem excited about the prospect of how D4 might turn out.
 
Either way it turns out... more of a an old school Doom fan or a Doom 3 fan... Personally growing up playing Doom on my old 486 and being scared and jumping out of my seat at times when the revenant or arch ville were high on my heels. I'm just excited that they're making a 4th doom (techinically 5th if you count final doom) ;) I cannot wait to see what this game will bring to the table. If any one company knows how to make some of the sickest most frightening enviroments/atmoshperes in a game it's ID \m/
 
Either way it turns out... more of a an old school Doom fan or a Doom 3 fan... Personally growing up playing Doom on my old 486 and being scared and jumping out of my seat at times when the revenant or arch ville were high on my heels. I'm just excited that they're making a 4th doom (techinically 5th if you count final doom) ;) I cannot wait to see what this game will bring to the table. If any one company knows how to make some of the sickest most frightening enviroments/atmoshperes in a game it's ID \m/

+1 to that, most certainly.
 
Back
Top