DOOM Demo Now With Vulkan!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Long time [H] reader cageymaru sends word that the DOOM demo now supports Vulkan. According to the DOOM Steam community page, when you fire up the game on Steam you will be prompted with a new menu to choose either OpenGL or Vulkan. If you haven't done so already, you can download the DOOM demo here.

We've updated the DOOM Demo on Steam to support Vulkan! When launching DOOM from Steam, you’ll be prompted with a new menu to choose either OpenGL or Vulkan. To play with Vulkan, select the second menu option. You can also switch between OpenGL and Vulkan in game via the Advanced Settings options menu. The game will restart whenever you switch between OpenGL and Vulkan.

So that is what that 500+ meg download was for. Steam news didn't show anything. Thanks for the heads up.

Doom has been the gift that keeps on giving. First the Customer friendly DLC plan, and now Vulkan.

No chance if you want native support.
There's a chance, if Doom is what the picture of Mars on the Feral Interactive Radar represents. ... "Soon..."
scr33n.png

What about Doom on Linux?

Wouldn't be surprised if that's next, since the id team seems to be passionate about Vulkan and sees the future. SPIR-V should make the port trivial, just need updated Linux drivers from AMD/Nvidia.

I couldn't play this demo because if you change the key bindings it still displays the default binding when instructing to press "whatever key" to continue and I pressed every key on my keyboard and it wouldn't continue. I thought that sort of thing was eliminated like ten or fifteen years ago but I guess not.

Or did they fix that in an update?

The crashes are more frequent in the later levels of the full game and seem to be random. I've even had the Xbox One version crash on me once. I think the crashes are related to memory leaks from what I've looked up and one time the game caused Windows to restart since it used too much RAM. I have 16Gb of RAM so there is no way it should need all of it.

Even with the new patch they released yesterday, or day before...cant remember?

Doom can't load on my media centre. Ever since I enabled Vulcan, it just crashes with a 'send error report?' notification. I tried deleting local content and re-downloading ALL 45 gigs, and same issue. Sad face. It worked just fine on OGL.

Even with the new patch they released yesterday, or day before...cant remember?

Last time I tried it was after they released the patch to re-balance the weapons in multiplayer and it still crashed before I could finish the last level in mission select mode. I got a patch earlier tonight but Steam said it was 0 bytes so I'm not sure if was really a patch or had something to do with the Vulkan update for the demo.

I had deleted the demo and it was trying to download stuff for it. Weird.

Glad to see them do this, had good fun with the demo and it took me 3 hours on max difficulty. Little harder with just pistol/shotgun and no mods! Vulkan was the only thing I'd hoped for in demo.

Funny though, later on in full version, I was glad it wasn't in max difficulty. Now with more weapon mods it's a little easy again. Gore nests are 'oh that was over quick'... Fingers crossed they ratchet up the difficulty more soon. Only in the foundry though so far :)

So is there going to be a Fallout 4 for Linux too?
I haven't seen or heard anything to indicate that and wouldn't get my hopes up. This is the first hopeful rumor that Bethesda/ID is considering targeting Linux as a formally supported platform. Keep in mind that it's completely unconfirmed. It could be some potato growing game version of The Martian. :p
However, if it pans out, I'll certainly buy it on launch to support the move. Maybe it'd get them to consider Linux with the next Fallout/Elder Scrolls game, which is where I really want it to go.

Back