Doom Alpha GPU test

Fuck ID and thier old shitty engines. 60FPS cap in 2016 is absolutely bullshit and lazy. I will not buy it on that principal alone.

Probably locked to help them sort physics and other issues out. Its a stable control

Always wondered the motive for the fps cap.

There is no motive: Instead it's a LACK of motive. Essentially its an old-fashioned method of lock-stepping everything to a set refresh interval so everything can sync up. It's the programming behaviour equivalent of shaving with a straight razor or using hair oil: Only really old, out-of-touch coders would follow this old-fashioned technique, and most all modern engines would never think of something so terrible.

like most new CONSOLE PORTS you mean.

Everything else, nVidia trumps them. AMD stopped being relevant 10 years ago.

Yes, yes, yes where is titan X? LOL

original.jpg

The alpha has no user-configurable graphics options, they're being auto-set by the engine based on its best-guess about your hardware.

The Nvidia cards might be getting auto-configed to higher settings, skewing the results.

Not likely. ID stated that the performance, in the Alpha, was without PC optimizations. So we're looking at code which was optimized for the GCN architecture in the consoles with the Alpha. ID stated that they're working on PC optimizations. The 60Hz lock is also part of the console optimizations which will be changed once they optimize for the PC.

Too early to tell.

Where did you find this garbage? It makes no sense. Please post charts from only decent review sites.
The source of that image is from a Disqus comment thread, lol.

nahhh AMD is just doing better plain and simple.

2016 dx 11 games
division-AMD
hitman dx11-AMD
rotr dx11-TIE ( toss up)
far cry primal -AMD

All new api (openGl, dx12, vulcan) beta test.
doom alpha-AMD
talos- AMD
AOTS- AMD

DX12 titles (wrapper)
GOWBU- AMD WON
hitman dx12- AMD (needs patch)
ROTR dx12- trash!! no performance improvement (thanks Nvidia)

happy gaming guys.

Reactions: Yakk
like this
If this is going to be factory locked to 60fps on PC looks like I'll play this on PS4. I'm sure their physics are tied to the frame-rate which is soooo old school.

Using Async just makes sense... Doom will be on consoles and they use CPU Multi-Threading & the Async scheduler to squeeze every bit of performance from those poor console GPUs. As DX12/Vulkan keeps on getting more and more popular on PCs; using Async is a natural progression on the GPU to go hand-in-hand with CPU Multi-Threading. Better optimized code using the GPU more efficiently is finally finding it's way to PCs, yay!

Still using 6 core sandy... guess I will never buy a new cpu since nothing can come close to taxing this thing.

It's not even a beta. It's a fucking alpha. This benchmark being meaningless might be an overstatement. The game is going to change a billion times before AMD and nVidia even bother tweaking their drivers. An internal release alpha is useless for us, the end user.

Yes this is just marketing and nothing more.

Did you guys know this game there was no ability to change settings, it was auto selected by the program based on the system specs. So not very conclusive as we don't know what settings were used per graphics card.

nahhh AMD is just doing better plain and simple.

2016 dx 11 games
division-AMD
hitman dx11-AMD
rotr dx11-TIE ( toss up)
far cry primal -AMD

All new api (openGl, dx12, vulcan) beta test.
doom alpha-AMD
talos- AMD
AOTS- AMD

DX12 titles (wrapper)
GOWBU- AMD WON
hitman dx12- AMD (needs patch)
ROTR dx12- trash!! no performance improvement (thanks Nvidia)

happy gaming guys.

AMD has enough examples of "winning" you can just keep it to the facts.

I wonder how you figure AMD won all of these. Did you even take overclocking into account? Even in the games AMD has a slight lead in it evaporates with a light OC on the nVidia side.

What is your criteria for a tie, or winning? In a quick google search I found two of those games where nVidia "won" from 1080p to 2160p, although I'd call it a tie. I know AoS isn't even released yet and I personally don't care about the other two.

image.jpg
image.jpg

yeah one review from either side, shows nothing, its a tie in both games. And that is what Dayak's stated

What is your criteria for a tie, or winning? In a quick google search I found two of those games where nVidia "won" from 1080p to 2160p, although I'd call it a tie.

You have a good one!

The Division PC: Beta im Benchmark-Test mit 7 Grafikkarten [Update]

The Division im Benchmark-Test (Seite 2)

how bout this one?

Far Cry Primal: Performance Analysis

Far Cry Primal Notebook Benchmarks

Far Cry Primal PC im Techniktest mit 20 Grafikkarten und CPU-Kernskalierung

Last edited:
Problem is too many of you only look at the top 2-3 cards in a list. In that division guru list, look at the rest, say 970 to 980. There are a host of AMD cards there. And keep in mind, given benches on release, comparing last year to this AMD performance is in stark contrast against NVIDIA. AMD has done way better this year which in a lot of games means being the clear winners.

The 980Ti is, for this generation, is definitely a safe bet, no doubt. But across all other tiers AMD is the clear and undisputed winner.

Well the division and doom haven't been released yet, but yeah in general they have been doing better with 0 day drivers in the past few game releases.

It's basically the same results as Guru3d. nVidia beats AMD with a mild overclock.

Last edited:
It's basically the same results as Guru3d. You also didn't answer half of my questions. nVidia beats AMD with a mild overclock.

true, I was saying that these cards are where they should be in these games, stock clocks, overclocked cards yeah, Maxwell 2 based cards have an advantage, there is no way around that, architecturally they are just capable of more clocks.

true, I was saying that these cards are where they should be in these games, stock clocks, overclocked cards yeah, Maxwell 2 based cards have an advantage, there is no way around that, architecturally they are just capable of more clocks.

Crap, thought you were wantapple.

Crap, thought you were wantapple.

LOL that gave me a laugh!

this generation of cards shows a big difference in focus from both companies, optimizations, drivers, features, but at the end of the day, they are still pretty competitive in most regards, some games favor AMD some games favor nV, some games are tied. (minus the overclocking over course). It would have been very interesting if AMD would have been able to get Fiji and the r3x0 series out around the time Maxwell 2 debuted, I think we would have seen nV clock them much more aggressively.....

So Doom is running better on AMD than Nvidia? As a person who played the hell out of Doom 3 that just seems... Odd. :D

Guru3D is a very fucking good website for benchmarks, Hilbert puts a lot effort in testing a big number of games on a lot of hardware. OC3D tests two cards...

More data

image.png

And you both prove ignorance is bliss. I posted that thread because it was even, I am not a fan of heavy favorite benches as it brings you guys out.

Seriously you need to add some writing comprehension classes to your schedule. The 980Ti is on one tier with the furyX. There are multiple tiers after the top one down to the very low cost low performance tier. Hence AMD wins every tier after the 980Ti.

If ignorance is bliss, you are really high right now lol, must be some good ignorance on your part.

The updated benchmarks show the cards line up where they should be, the 970 around 290x, the 980 just under the nano, fury x tied with the 980 ti, at 4k, is that pretty much ever game we have seen up till Hitman, AOTS, ROTR? For the most part.

Granted the is still beta so results can still change for the final release, but at least we don't have the skewed results of the alpha where results were just wonky because settings were all different on the different classes of cards (come on the 290x over the 980ti by 8% that should have told ya something screwed up was going on, then ya had the 280x which was 10% slower than the 980 ti that is not where those cards should be).

Last edited:
If ignorance is bliss, you are really high right now lol, must be some good ignorance on your part.

The updated benchmarks show the cards line up where they should be, the 970 around 290x, the 980 just under the nano, fury x tied with the 980 ti, at 4k, is that pretty much ever game we have seen up till Hitman, AOTS, ROTR? For the most part.

Granted the is still beta so results can still change for the final release, but at least we don't have the skewed results of the alpha where results were just wonky because settings were all different on the different classes of cards (come on the 290x over the 980ti by 8% that should have told ya something screwed up was going on, then ya had the 280x which was 10% slower than the 980 ti that is not where those cards should be).

I won't begrudge the results - they are what they are and the beta numbers are far more realistic.

I think a lot of the argumentative side of people you are seeing is, prior to seeing the beta, you could sum up a lot of (not all) the responses to "NO! Cuz Nvidia!"

Just a bunch of preprogrammed drivel and people swapping benches that had nothing to do with DOOM to win a pissing contest.

Usually I find when people go in hard and double down on the brand loyalty and emotion, they get 4x the hate back. It's not a way to win an argument (and since when should people try to "win" arguments anyway? The only way you ever truly win is if the other person changes their mind, and that RARELY ever happens).

But I digress....

Back