DOOM 3 Tweak

Colt___45 said:
Yeah, that happened to me as well. I finally just made the changes to the config file, then made it read-only :) Problem solved.

how did you make it read-only?

I also added the line but it then disappeared after I ran the game and opened the file again.

ozziegn said:
how did you make it read-only?

I also added the line but it then disappeared after I ran the game and opened the file again.

Right click on the file and go to Properties.

Check the "Read-only" box.

Colt___45 said:
^What he said :)

That was a good idea, it never even occured to me to make it Read-only to keep the changes.

Good job :)

Xrave said:
That was a good idea, it never even occured to me to make it Read-only to keep the changes.

Good job :)

Thanks

Colt___45 said:
Except for the fact that the config file does not have that line in it by default. Hence the reason to add that line to the config :)

Doom3 overwrites the video portion of your config file every time you exit the game....hence the need to make it "read only" and it will save the settings you put in it. ;)

Brent_Justice said:
according to this site http://doom3.ingame.de/article.php?intID=1278&intTemplate=7&intSite=5 it reduces shadow fill, whatever that means:

lots of console commands listed with descriptions there btw

Wow. Thanks for the link Brent:) That site has tons of useful information. I'm thinking based off Kyle's description and the information from that site, this tweak must occlusion cull shadows that can't be seen on the screen.

TheRapture said:
Doom3 overwrites the video portion of your config file every time you exit the game....hence the need to make it "read only" and it will save the settings you put in it. ;)

Yeah, I figured that out early this morning when I was benchmarking my system. I'd bring up the console to do a timedemo, and notice that it had written information to the config file. Finally, I figured out a way to outsmart it and added the the tweak line to the config, saved it, then made it read only:)

My results;

Before
No AA/AF
67.2FPS - 32 Seconds

2xAA/4xAF
56.6FPS - 37.9 Seconds

4xAA/8xAF
42.3FPS - 50.8 Seconds

After
No AA/AF
72.7FPS - 29.6 Seconds

2xAA/4xAF
57.1FPS - 37.6 Seconds

4xAA/8xAF
42.8FPS - 50.1

[email protected]
BFG 6800GT stock speeds (370/500) with 61.77 drivers
2x512 HyperX PC4000
Audigy 2 ZS

It seems it really only helps with no AA/AF. At least for me.

Side not, it was pretty "stuttery" thruout each timedemo, even though it reads high frames. Just installed the game, havent tried actual gameplay, but the timedemo is skipping.

fallguy said:
Side not, it was pretty "stuttery" thruout each timedemo, even though it reads high frames. Just installed the game, havent tried actual gameplay, but the timedemo is skipping.

Don't worry. The same thing happens to me when I run the timedemo, but I am about 3/4 finished with single player and i have never had a skip like that while actually playing the game.

Good, I was worried. Wanting to try these "tweaks" before I start the game, so I can get the highest frames possible. Going to try that other one in a few.

The Anadtech article on CPU performance in Doom 3 comments that the timedemo is very stuttery the first time you run it while it's caching the demo. If you run it multiple times, it smooths out.

fallguy- make sure and turn vsync ON, even on a CRT it will eliminate alot of tearing and make the game feel much smoother....

Like I said, I don't remember what the exact command is called to change the anisotropic level in the CFG. It does have aniso in the command, so type aniso into the find command, and it will find it. I think it's about half to two thirds of the way down the config file. It's pretty close to where the cache settings are and all that stuff.

in the config file, the exact line that deals with anisotropic filtering is:

seta image_anisotropy "x"

Where x is a number. If you're playing in High Quality mode, it will be set to 8 by default

Xrave said:
The Anadtech article on CPU performance in Doom 3 comments that the timedemo is very stuttery the first time you run it while it's caching the demo. If you run it multiple times, it smooths out.

Thanks so much Xrave. When I run the timedemo the first time I always get 45.5 fps. I decided to run it a second and a third time and I got 49.4 fps. Which is more like the frame rate that I get when I'm actually playing the game. I'm usually maxed out at 60, and occasionally when I get a couple of enemies on the screen at the same time or have a lot of light sources I'll dip into the low 40's.

The easiest way to add your own commands for Doom 3 is to create a file name autoexec.cfg in your "base" folder and then put the commands in there. The game wont change them for you.

I am not sure what happens if you use a command already in the doomconfig.cfg file though.

For instance, I have the following line in mine so the game wont try to run at 60hz when I switch to 1600x1200..

seta r_displayRefresh "85"

(Also if running timedemo demo1, run it twice and only count the second one, the first one is always low because of texture loading slowdowns).

TheRapture said:
fallguy- make sure and turn vsync ON, even on a CRT it will eliminate alot of tearing and make the game feel much smoother....

I set refresh rate overrides at my resolutions I use in display properties and disabled Vsynch...no perceptable tearing. Also, disabling Fastwrites made a major difference in the smoothness of play at high resolutions. Doing these two things and my play at 16x12 is almost constant 60fps, only dropping to 50's during fights.

TheRapture said:

Thats only good if you can keep 60+ FPS. If it drops below 60, you're screwed. Vsync isnt something new.

Back