• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Doom 3 sick at ultra settings

Mad_Gamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2002
Messages
1,544
Im running doom 3 on my friend's uber system at my house

3.2 extreme edition P4
875pbz intel mobo
1gig of crucial
Geforce 6800 GT
Raptor drive
Audigy 2zs
my Klipsch 5.1 ultras

The graphics are just incredible and it plays perfectly fine at 1600x1200 ultra max settings without any non/AA. Also the sound quality, finally a game that uses my Klipsch 5.1ultras, my entire room rumbles the whole time due to the background sounds in the game, let alone the bursts of monsters flying out and shotguns unloading. This game is seriously sick
 
Words don't do justice, my friend. Please post some of the action. :D
 
Yea man post us some Kick A$$ Ultra quality pics and make us all green with envy (well me anyway with my little TI4800 LMAO)
 
Dende said:
Yea man post us some Kick A$$ Ultra quality pics and make us all green with envy (well me anyway with my little TI4800 LMAO)


I can run ultra and quality and can't tell the difference in game.
 
I run high quality 1280x1024 w/ 4xAA and 8x AF and I find it is the best playable settings for me. I also have a 6800gt o/c but I'm only on a p4 2.4c.
 
hey oozish... "listen to oozish" *creepy Igor voice* :p

I guess my system is "Uber" enough...

p4 2.8@3.5
6800U (when IT ARRIVES) until then 6800 (Wednesday) and until then s3 Virge!!!
GiG of Ram
etc etc...
 
oozish said:
I can run ultra and quality and can't tell the difference in game.

same here.

I couldnt see any difference other than my FPS rates going down in Ultra mode so needless to say I'm using high quality mode.
 
compressed textures vs not... you can only really see a difference side by side, and its not that much.
 
CSx-2011 said:
compressed textures vs not... you can only really see a difference side by side, and its not that much.

Exactly, call me crazy, but I have an extremely hard time telling the difference between High and Ultra settings even when looking at static screenshots on [H]ard|OCP nine times out of ten. Actually playing through the game I find it even harder to tell the difference....hell, even medium and high look pretty damn close when you're actually playing the game and you're engrossed in it.

Whatever the point may be, I'll be damn excited to try out this little tweak tomorrow when I finally get the game installed, I'm perfectly happy with my performance as is at 1280x1024 High Detail so I'll merely be smoothing things out further, because there IS room to work there, with lows of 20fps at times. :(
 
People are playing Doom3 1600x1200 Ultra Quality on lower-end systems just fine, you only need a really high-end/highest if you want the 2-4xAA so it seems, all this gfx competition stuff concerning doom3 seems to be nonsense, overall.
 
Yeah, the main problem with Ultra is not that the newest cards can't run it, the issue is that you can't load an entire level of uncompressed textures so every once in a while you get a HUGE drop in frame rate. It's really not a big deal though since it happens when entering new large rooms only, doesn't last long, and the situations where it does happen are both rare and usually not while you are in the middle of a fight.

I run Ultra at 1600x1200x2AA and have good enough fps, about 40 average, but I am actually thinking of going to High instead. In all honesty the game doesn't look better enough in Ultra to justify the speed loss even if you can run it fine at that level.
 
arentol said:
I am actually thinking of going to High instead. In all honesty the game doesn't look better enough in Ultra to justify the speed loss even if you can run it fine at that level.

Finally.....someone said it. :p :D
 
arentol said:
Yeah, the main problem with Ultra is not that the newest cards can't run it, the issue is that you can't load an entire level of uncompressed textures so every once in a while you get a HUGE drop in frame rate. It's really not a big deal though since it happens when entering new large rooms only, doesn't last long, and the situations where it does happen are both rare and usually not while you are in the middle of a fight.

I run Ultra at 1600x1200x2AA and have good enough fps, about 40 average, but I am actually thinking of going to High instead. In all honesty the game doesn't look better enough in Ultra to justify the speed loss even if you can run it fine at that level.

Somebody who can play 1600x1200 / Ultra Quality / 2xAA on a X800XT PE. Thanks for updating that 2xAA works fine.

Also notice the "it doesn't look better enough" so it looks better just not by much in his opinion...
 
arentol said:
Yeah, the main problem with Ultra is not that the newest cards can't run it, the issue is that you can't load an entire level of uncompressed textures so every once in a while you get a HUGE drop in frame rate. It's really not a big deal though since it happens when entering new large rooms only, doesn't last long, and the situations where it does happen are both rare and usually not while you are in the middle of a fight.

I run Ultra at 1600x1200x2AA and have good enough fps, about 40 average, but I am actually thinking of going to High instead. In all honesty the game doesn't look better enough in Ultra to justify the speed loss even if you can run it fine at that level.

Specs please...? :)
 
Blad3 said:
Also notice the "it doesn't look better enough" so it looks better just not by much in his opinion...

True, I'm not saying that it doesnt help the look of the game, its just that each individual person is going to have their own "lines" that they draw when it comes to the legendary IQ vs. FPS battle.....in any game.
 
cornelious0_0 understood.

RS3RS - arentol has an OCed A64 3000+, 1Gb RAM and a X800XTPE, I think...
 
RS3RS said:
Specs please...? :)

x800XT-PE running at 537/558
Abit Kv8 Pro MB.
Athlon 64 3000+ at 2250mhz (default 2000)
1GB PC 3200 RAM running at about 190mhz (Will be over 200 once I get my new cooling setup done on my CPU so I can run an FSB of 240+ regularly).
2 Hitachi 160GB drives in a Raid 0 configuration.
 
arentol said:
x800XT-PE running at 537/558
Abit Kv8 Pro MB.
Athlon 64 3000+ at 2250mhz (default 2000)
1GB PC 3200 RAM running at about 190mhz (Will be over 200 once I get my new cooling setup done on my CPU so I can run an FSB of 240+ regularly).
2 Hitachi 160GB drives in a Raid 0 configuration.

Nice "little" gaming setup you've got there, even without the OC in place. That really makes me that much more ancy sitting here waiting for my 6800GT, it's funny how fast these things start to cycle through the market.....suddenly I can't stand my 9800XT, still a great card, but it ain't the best no more. 'Bout time. ;)
 
I love the 6800GT after my 9800xt. the 9800xt ran hot as hell in my case, and it just never felt as sexy as i thought it should. Great upgrade!
 
cornelious0_0 said:
Nice "little" gaming setup you've got there, even without the OC in place. That really makes me that much more ancy sitting here waiting for my 6800GT, it's funny how fast these things start to cycle through the market.....suddenly I can't stand my 9800XT, still a great card, but it ain't the best no more. 'Bout time. ;)

Yes, same here. Need one of the next generation...
 
Blad's Sig said:
Athlon FX-51
Radeon 9800XT (next gen card soon)
Corsair 2Gb 3200RE
Iiyama VM Pro 514 22"

holy shit! That is gonna be one hell of a system Blad! :D
 
didnt Carmack himself say that you would only be able to tell the difference if you know know you are looking for and if you see the 2 settings in parallel (ie side by side comparison). To the untrained eye the difference will be basically bugger all...
 
Back
Top