Doom 3 looks horrible

Either thats the Xbox version or the shot was taken with settings turned way down. None of the other screens i've seen of D3 look that bad.

that is the pc version, image is from this article
Acivision sent us this new DOOM 3 screenshot in mega-4000x3000 size -- you can click to enlarge, or download the full-size version.

since they are talking about the pc version it's safe to assume this is from the pc version.

http://www.nsideronline.com/media/images/doom_3
Well, on the Index of the page the pic is from, it says that's the PC version... Therere's also an Xbox version of the same guy... now there's a difference. What I say is that image is not too bad... considering it's at like..4000x3000 and it's not just zoomed... you can tell it's an actual rendering because of the aliased edges.
If you have opera, set your page zoom to like... 30%... then its about full screen AND IT DOES NOT LOOK BAD.
I do however think that that's not at full settings... the textures are far too lowrez

WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET THIS FROM, THOUGH? How did this site have access to 4000x3000 DoomIII renderings? what, did they pull an HL2 episode and steal e-mails?

you know, i also get why doom III performed so well on those benches, beyond our expectations... seems all the characters are VERY low-polygon... look at any video, they are really quite low.

krizzle said:
you know, i also get why doom III performed so well on those benches, beyond our expectations... seems all the characters are VERY low-polygon... look at any video, they are really quite low.

well that shouldnt be surprising, it's been known for ages that they'd be using relatively low polygon counts with normal maps in order to get their character detail.

I for one don't really think the textures in the game look that high of quality, they are kind of bland with not to many different colors. The engine kinda looks like more polys and everything is rounded.
It doesn't look bad, it just looks different. I'm sure the game will be funner than all hell to play though

Christ you people, any game looks shady at 4000x3000, when you blow an 800X600 or whatever image up that high.

ruhk said:
Christ you people, any game looks shady at 4000x3000, when you blow an 800X600 or whatever image up that high.

So you are saying that 4000x3000 isn't one of the uber-high quality resolution options in the game? I bought this Geforce 90000 for nothing then!

Xenozx said:
yea thats gotta be an xbox picture, but damn thats a big ass picture...

why would you say that when you have no information to support your claim?

JKA Represent said:
cause it looks like shit

Resize it down to something more reasonable like 1280x1024 or 1600x1200, and it looks much better.

shit, any game will look like shit at that size... fuck, DVD movies look like shit too on a 65" TV when compared to a 32"..

yea like he said it looks like shit, i suppose i could be doom 3 on a gf4 mx440 but geez if that is what doom three is bringing to the table graphics wise why the need for such high system specs. ive seen better charactor models in UT 2004 with some of the custom skins.

ok good thing im at work, i clicked on the link the thread starter was kinda enough to change to and it auto resized the immage. it does look better but i sure hope its a low res or an xbox picture cause i was expecting more.

OMG0dz0r3...if you press your face against the screen while playing Doom 3, it will look horrible!!!!111

Even the Xbox version should look better than that. Chronicles of Riddick destroys...whatever that is.

any word if chronicals of riddick is going to launch for PC and if so when? It does look awsome!

The Xbox version is going to look like Quake II. I lost a little respect for JC when he emphatically stated it would retain the graphical fidelity of the PC version, because anyone who isn't blind as a bat can see it hasn't. The room geometry has even been altered in some cases.

I don't know, they don't look too bad. Low poly-- maybe. Lights/effects-- wow. :)

-J.

Im pretty sure that's the Xbox version.

Xbox:
914444_20040505_screen004.jpg

PC:
doom_screen002.jpg

aug1516 said:
So you are saying that 4000x3000 isn't one of the uber-high quality resolution options in the game? I bought this Geforce 90000 for nothing then!

dude, hook me up where did you pick up that geforce 90,000? I want one :p

Here's the problem with Doom 3 (I think). I made up a little edit here...

doom_screenedit.jpg

Look at the circled areas. Why are they pointed? That is a huge flaw. It is definitely low-poly, except bumping is added. But of course I'd understand this is to preserve quality for performance. Otherwise, I don't think things would run nearly 30 FPS if low-poly models wasn't the case. :eek:

-J.

I think they must have tonned down their original plan of making it the highest quality (graphics wise) game, so that it would run on more systems. jesus, this really sucks

For fucks sakes, just wait till the damn game is released before we start staying the pixels are incorrectly blended or some stupid shit...Fuck.. :rolleyes:

It better not look like that on August 3rd, or alot of 6800/X800 owners (including me) are going to be pisssed off at id.

JKA Represent said:
I think they must have tonned down their original plan of making it the highest quality (graphics wise) game, so that it would run on more systems. jesus, this really sucks

Yes, that one screenshot, with who knows what settings turned on or turned off, is enough to completely make up your mind.

ruhk said:
I lost braincells reading this thread. Goddamnit.

ROFLMAO, same.

Y'all need to put back on your helmets before you walk.

Wait for the game to be released, then make judgements.

Back