DOOM 3 [H]ardware Guide Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess you don't work on Saturday and sunday Kyle :eek: ... so today or tomorrow ? :D

It will probably be one of those 1 am update things. :) lol Atleast I'll be able to read it before the bandwidth gets sucky. :D

Excellent......it's up!!!!!

Off to read I go

EDIT: WOW........that's all I can say.......WOW. I am very impressed by such a large number of things in Doom3 after reading that guide.....and I am much more comfortable going into this fall season. Seeing that kind of performance on lower end machines and the AXP setup was excellent news.....this will surely bring comfort to a lot of gamers out there who dont divert the majority of their cashflow into their computers. It was also VERY nice to see how extrordinary the game actually looks at on low detail at 640x480 and 800x600 resolutions.....Id has definitely stepped things up a notch here.

I always knew that I was going to be well off with Doom3, but I didnt actually know HOW well off until now. Considering I'll be sporting a 3.6GHz (possibly higher) P4 Canterwood setup with 1GB of ram and an overclocked 6800GT I'm even more excited then i used to be after seeing those results. The funny thing is that I would be happy playing at the FPS's that were recorded in the guide.....except I won't even be able to game at 1280x1024.....so I'll be getting even nicer performance then what was shown for those high end machine tests.....as they were mainly done at 1600x1200 res.

Kyle and the gang here at [H]ard have once again renewed my faith in a few different things, and they've shown us that they really DO care about their readers.

Kudos to you guys, and a very big thanks goes out from myself, and more and more readers as time goes on will be doing the same.....I can gaurantee you that. :) :cool:

Haha, I'm some glad I used common sense and didn't run out to drop hundreds of bucks upgrading my system that should run Doom 3 just fine :cool:

I'm very impressed by the level of quality in the guide. Good job guys!

I have some questions about sound that were only increased with Xian's remarks in the guide.

Will the game work with 4.1 systems like it should? Or is it 5.1 or stereo?

What's the penalty for onboard sound? (AD Soundmax series/ or the Realtek chips.) vs cards with discrete DSP (audigys/live) vs. cards that are basicly improved DAC/ADCs (rev7.1/new TB cards/ anything with the newer Via chips)

Sound seems to be very important to this game, but there is no info on it compared to the graphics and the processing speed necessary.

Congrats go to all the buyers of AthlonXP 3200 systems! That little bargain processor is putting up better numbers than the A64 3000 in this game. I guess I could have saved some serious quid on that one, but oh well. It's all good.

One point I'd like to make. I was seriously scratching my head for a while when going through some of the charts when switching from setups with AA enabled and not. Most don't have it enabled, so I was getting used to it. Then I'd check the res and then look at the results and they'd be lower for the better system. Until I saw the 0xAA and the 4xAA labels. Those are mightly long titles on the graphs, my eyes sort of roll off them.

Thanks again for doing such a bang up job on the guide! Take a break boys and have a cold one! Good job.

does anyone know if the tests w/ the ultra OC were at OC levels? in the GT review it was compaired at non "OC" levels. is this true for the hw guide?

does anyone know if the tests w/ the ultra OC were at OC levels? in the GT review it was compaired at non "OC" levels. is this true for the hw guide?

I can see why they would have downclocked the OC cards for the sake of an even "apples to apples" comparison, seeing as it was an actual hardware review/analysis.....but in this case I didn't see anythign stated, and I believe that they used the OC clock rates.....don't quote me on this, but I'm just assuming that Kyle and the gang would have made a special note if the clock speeds tested with were anything other then factory.

Hmmmm the only thing really lacking here is the fact that the NF7-S /w the 3200+ only had 512mb ram. ACK! They say "it should be fine at 2xAA/8xAF if you have 1gb RAM" when using the 6800U but of course there isn't any easy way to figure out what framerates would be like. Looks like we might need 1gb of vram by the end of the year if we want to keep climbing the IQ tree. YOWZAS.

AWESOME job on the guide though! It TOTALLY put me at ease about my Athlon XP-M @ 2.4ghz. I am just using the 3200+ NF7 setup for comparison but I should notice even a little more than what it says. YAY!!!

ya, realy put me at ease about my next setup. ill be running a gt at ultra and a 3000+ at 2.4 if at all posible. meening ill probably be at high/ultra w/ 2x aa and 8x af @16*12. now i can only hope that you guys do the same thing for HL2

Very nicely done Kyle, one of the best articles you have done;)

cornelious0_0 said:
Oh God yes.....that would be nice.

*wink wink*

The problem with doing a pre release article on Half Life 2 is the fact that Valve is located in Washington, which makes it more difficult to get up there for testing. id is easier because they are located in Dallas, which is where Kyle lives.

Last time I checked, Kyle didn't have any staffers in Washington.

ok, it was worth a try though ;)

anywhay, congrats on the artical guys. your the envy of all of the gameing world right now

wow guys, that was such a great article. a+ work to all the [H] crew. thanks for all that you do!

Tim said:
The problem with doing a pre release article on Half Life 2 is the fact that Valve is located in Washington, which makes it more difficult to get up there for testing. id is easier because they are located in Dallas, which is where Kyle lives.

Last time I checked, Kyle didn't have any staffers in Washington.

That's true......oh well, the game'll come when it comes, and at THAT time I'm sure that [H]ard will have something tastey up for us to read.

After installing Doom 3 i click the icon to play and i get an error during initialization. DLL extraction to fs_savepath failed. Is anyone else having these problems

My specs are:
Win XP pro{service pack 1)
AMD XP 2500+
Ram 1024
Drives=LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S,MITSUMI CR-4804TE
RADEON 9600XT BRAVO 128MB(catalyst-8-03-040610a-016126c)
Sound Card Name=NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface

Please help me I'm dying to play this game

So why are you here if your not going to check the frontpage for something that came out like last week? :rolleyes:

No comments!!!

doom3_forum.jpg

Mod Edit - Linking to warez sites will get you banned, pronto - fair warning......B.B.S.

Gary King said:

Oh my good God, I guess some people never even GO to the front page.....but still. You'd think with all the talk going on in this thread you'd notice that it IS out and maybe go look for yourself.....geez. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back