DOOM 3 Config Tweak

I believe the cache size determines the space in system memory dedicated to storing textures and other image crap for quick swapping into the video memory, instead of it having to load some textures off of the HD during playtime. With a high cachemegs size, I can load everything (almost, maybe, but more) when the level loads.

Just my theory...

Jäger said:
i thought the overall consensus was that this is completely useless to do. (ucompressing the pk4 files, that is)

I tried it. Absolutely no difference in load times or anything....it just takes up a TON more space in the game directory.

any one try to Set the value in the COnfig file

image_usePrecompressedTextures = "0" - Origianl is "1"
image_useCompression = "0" - Origianl is "1"

From My own experience.
this will bring the FPS down ( I have GF6800nu with Celeron [email protected] -1gig of RAM) still can run at 1024*768 set to High Quality ...
and I got an uncompress textute. NICE.try it ..

I just found out thtat at the End of the COnfig file has a NIGHTMARE mode , set to "1" so you can
strat the Game in NIGHTMARE mode :p may be this already known..to most of you.

just wondering, but how is everyone getting these time demo values, do you record a demo then timedemo it? Wouldn't this be different for everyone depending on where in the game level they are? is there a standard demo file that i should be using? Also why don't people use benchmark?

m4rine said:
just wondering, but how is everyone getting these time demo values, do you record a demo then timedemo it? Wouldn't this be different for everyone depending on where in the game level they are? is there a standard demo file that i should be using? Also why don't people use benchmark?

in console type, timedemo demo1

http://www.d3-center.com/?page=news&id=17

Hello! I created a configuration file, or .cfg, that makes your Doom 3 gameplay faster if using a 128 mb Video Card. This configuration runs close to 800x600 medium settings, but also has a few tweaks for performance. I used to get 53 fps on timedemo when using 800x600 medium. Then I got 59 fps with these tweaks. After installing Catalyst 4.9 and DX 9.0c, my fps further improved to become 70 or so.

Here is the config (Open a notepad file, paste the info below into it, click file -> save as. Navigate to your x:...doom 3base directory and save as autoexec.cfg)

//Exec bind
bind * "exec autoexec.cfg"

//FPS
seta com_showFPS "1"

//Show Gun
seta ui_showGun "1"

//Reload
seta ui_autoReload "0"

//Weapon Auto Switch
seta ui_autoSwitch "1"

//FOV
seta g_fov "100"

//Image Settings for 128mb Video Cards
seta image_downSizeLimit "512"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "1"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "512"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta image_downSizeBump "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
seta image_downSize "1"
seta image_forceDownSize "1"
seta image_anisotropy "0"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"

//R_ Settings
seta r_shadows "0"
seta r_skipbump "0"
seta r_skipspecular "1"
seta r_skipoverlays "0"
seta r_skipfoglights "0"
seta r_skippostprocess "1"
seta r_skipbendlights "0"
seta r_skipdynamictextures "0"

//Width and Height
seta r_customWidth "800"
seta r_customHeight "600"

//PM_ Settings
seta pm_runbob "0"
seta pm_runpitch "0"
seta pm_runroll "0"
seta pm_bobpitch "0"
seta pm_bobroll "0"
seta pm_bobup "0"
seta pm_crouchbob "0"
seta pm_walkbob "0"

In game, just open your console (ctrl+alt+`) and type "exec autoexec.cfg)

Then do a video restart by typing vid_restart in console. Afterwards, to test, just type timedemo demo1 in console.

Enjoy the config! :) I hope it helps to fix your FPS problems, if any.

i don't have a fps problem but i have a hitching problem when opening doors and when its loading new stuff on the fly when im on high IQ with my 6800 nu; is this what increasing the cachemeg thing does ? also do I have to change that other value to 1 above it for it to work ?

I've changed cachemegs from 20 to 256 but then when i play, my Doom3 crashes. I've tried changing it back to down to 128, 96 and back down to 20 but it still crashes. :mad: I've also tried re-installing the game a few times but it still crashes.

Anyone know what the problem is and how it can be fixed? I wanna be able to play D3 again :(

tried the tweak and im running 1600x1200 high settings no probs...rig 1..now with aa 2x kinda choppy in fights but with that off very nice..

Neurotic-Turtle said:
I've changed cachemegs from 20 to 256 but then when i play, my Doom3 crashes. I've tried changing it back to down to 128, 96 and back down to 20 but it still crashes. :mad: I've also tried re-installing the game a few times but it still crashes.

Anyone know what the problem is and how it can be fixed? I wanna be able to play D3 again :(

i've heard that people that have set the pre_cache to 1, and that has caused alot of crashing. make sure this is set at 0. i'm running mine at 1, i think you have to edit the cache_mink or something like that to enable the pre_cache.

I did the tweak.
I have a nvidia fx 5950 ultra, AMD XP 2700, and 512 of ram.
my cashmegs was set to '20'
i set it to '94'
My game ran great for awhile but at one point in the game insted of going on to the next level when I clicked on the elevator call buttion it just crashed to the main doom screen!? :confused:

I changed it back to normal and it let me continue.

misfitsfiend said:
is there any way known yet to decrease the load times? it takes a good 20 seconds to load, or maybe i'm just impatient. also, how do i get it to show my fps?
Another way is to decompress the PK4 files in 'base' directory using WinRAR, then remove the PK4 files. The PK4 files are highly compressed and slow the game down. Also upped me from 34fps to 42fps.

Neurotic-Turtle said:

There really should be a new thread with this info. I think I will post it.

misfitsfiend said:
i've heard that people that have set the pre_cache to 1, and that has caused alot of crashing. make sure this is set at 0. i'm running mine at 1, i think you have to edit the cache_mink or something like that to enable the pre_cache.

That's what I was thinking too, that maybe he had enabled the usecache, which DOES cause the game to crash, no matter what. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just the first thing that struck me.

seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "96"
seta image_cacheMinK "20480"

In a nutshell, this is what I've gleaned from 13 pages of that planetdoom thread. Some have upped the cache megs as high as 256.
The theory is that changing cachemegs alone won't do anything unless you turn usecache to 1, but you cant turn usecache to 1 unless you up the cachemink.

I haven't tried this combination. All I did was up the cachemegs to 256, and it runs fine. I think the issue may be with setting usecache to 1 while leaving the cachemink at its default value.

Can someone try this and verify that is won't crash with these settings?

Could be related to how much RAM you have available? If you put it higher but D3 can't grab that much RAM, maybe it crashes...

ehZn said:
I haven't tried this combination. All I did was up the cachemegs to 256, and it runs fine. I think the issue may be with setting usecache to 1 while leaving the cachemink at its default value.

Leaving cachemink at default and changing usecache to 1 crashes the game everytime, and i have yet to hear of even one person who found different.

I'm gonna try out that combination of cachemink and usecache because I didn't see THAT much of a gain with the cachemegs at 256.....a little, but not much. I'll let you all know how it goes in a sec.

cornelious0_0 said:
Leaving cachemink at default and changing usecache to 1 crashes the game everytime, and i have yet to hear of even one person who found different.

I'm gonna try out that combination of cachemink and usecache because I didn't see THAT much of a gain with the cachemegs at 256.....a little, but not much. I'll let you all know how it goes in a sec.

Well, I need all the performance I can get with my poor 5900xt :rolleyes:

Although so far I'm happy with how the game looks at 1024x768 High settings, AA off, (AF on by default at high even with it turned off in driver?), running at 60 fps usually and dropping as low as 30 with intense lighted and moving scenes.

If this tweak could help me keep it higher than 40 I'll be satisfied, until I get my GT and run through it all over again ;)

ehZn said:

setting use_cachemink or whatnot to 20480 and use cache to 1 allows you to start the game without crashing... just confirming it

ehZn said:

Although so far I'm happy with how the game looks at 1024x768 High settings, AA off, (AF on by default at high even with it turned off in driver?), running at 60 fps usually and dropping as low as 30 with intense lighted and moving scenes.

If this tweak could help me keep it higher than 40 I'll be satisfied, until I get my GT and run through it all over again ;)

Honestly dude, a minimum of 30fps with your card isn't anything to worry about at all.....sure 40 would be nice, but don't get your hopes up.....this tweak is NOT going to gain you 10fps on your minimum, I'm sorry, it just ain't gonna happen, that's not even really what it's for. Seeing as the game isn't really fast paced (like Unreal2k4 for example) I'm PERFECTLY fine as long a my minimum is over 24fps.....lower then that and I DO notice it chugging, but a minimum of 30 is great for Doom. Obviously it'd be nice to have it at 40, but you have to look at this realistically, it IS a 5900XT.....I think you should be happy with the frame rates you're already getting. I haven't personally done testing to see if Nvidia's "AF override" in the drivers DO disable it on high detail, but there is a way to make sure.....You'll find the line: seta image_anisotropy just below the cachemegs line and if you're playing at High Detail it should be set to "8". I have tried this out and it DOES disable AF on high detail if you change this entry to "0" instead of "8".....however, the image quality takes such a nosedive that I can't even stand it. Disabling AF in the config file at High Detail earned me about 5fps onto every scene I tried out, but for me it just isnt worth it.....the game looks so much worse. Keep in mind that If you change the AF setting in the config file to "0" it will reset if you ever change the Detail level in game to Medium and back to High, as it's re-applying the setting and overriding your config setting.

If you really wanna see how bad the game looks after you disable AF, here are a couple comparison shots with the contrast cranked so you can really see what I'm talking about:

1024x768 High Detail /w 8xAF:

Doom3_High_with_8xAF.jpg

1024x768 High Detail without 8xAF:

Doom3_High_without_8xAF.jpg

Keep in mind that I'm running a 9800XT so someone else's card might gain more or less then 5fps by turning off AF.....but you decide if it's worth it, I sure don't think so.

I really appreciate you testing this out cornelius. I'm pretty surprised with how my system runs it, so really as long as it's not choppy I will be happy.

Now that I know the game will run with the usecache enabled, I will try this and see if my bottom line fps changes at all. Thanks for the screenies too, showing AF off. It really does look a lot worse (blurry) without the AF. I keep AA off all the time because jagged lines don't bother me at all and I like the performance increase.

Are you running the same settings I am?

ehZn said:
I keep AA off all the time because jagged lines don't bother me at all and I like the performance increase.

Are you running the same settings I am?

I would HOPE you're keeping AA off, as jaggies really aren't as noticeable in Doom 3 because of the dimly lit areas, and I dont pick up things like that if I'm really engrossed in a game. I would like that 5fps bonus back (from having no AF) for sure, but it's NOT worth how horrible it makes the game look.....not for that small of a gain. If I was gaining 10 or more fps then i MIGHT consider leaving AF off, but still, probly not.

In terms of settings, I'm running the game at 1024x768 High Detail with the "cache settings" as follows:

seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "96"

I haven't really seen much gain from the tweak.....but there HAVE been small boosts when loading new areas so I'm leaving it the way it is, seeing as it isn't hurting a thing.

cornelious0_0 said:
Honestly dude, a minimum of 30fps with your card isn't anything to worry about at all.....sure 40 would be nice, but don't get your hopes up.....this tweak is NOT going to gain you 10fps on your minimum, I'm sorry, it just ain't gonna happen, that's not even really what it's for. Seeing as the game isn't really fast paced (like Unreal2k4 for example) I'm PERFECTLY fine as long a my minimum is over 24fps.....lower then that and I DO notice it chugging, but a minimum of 30 is great for Doom. Obviously it'd be nice to have it at 40, but you have to look at this realistically, it IS a 5900XT.....I think you should be happy with the frame rates you're already getting. I haven't personally done testing to see if Nvidia's "AF override" in the drivers DO disable it on high detail, but there is a way to make sure.....You'll find the line: seta image_anisotropy just below the cachemegs line and if you're playing at High Detail it should be set to "8". I have tried this out and it DOES disable AF on high detail if you change this entry to "0" instead of "8".....however, the image quality takes such a nosedive that I can't even stand it. Disabling AF in the config file at High Detail earned me about 5fps onto every scene I tried out, but for me it just isnt worth it.....the game looks so much worse. Keep in mind that If you change the AF setting in the config file to "0" it will reset if you ever change the Detail level in game to Medium and back to High, as it's re-applying the setting and overriding your config setting.

If you really wanna see how bad the game looks after you disable AF, here are a couple comparison shots with the contrast cranked so you can really see what I'm talking about:

1024x768 High Detail /w 8xAF:

Doom3_High_with_8xAF.jpg

1024x768 High Detail without 8xAF:

Doom3_High_without_8xAF.jpg

Keep in mind that I'm running a 9800XT so someone else's card might gain more or less then 5fps by turning off AF.....but you decide if it's worth it, I sure don't think so.

bad URL

cornelious0_0 said:
That's what I was thinking too, that maybe he had enabled the usecache, which DOES cause the game to crash, no matter what. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just the first thing that struck me.

It wasn't enabled at the time but i did try changing usecache and cachemink afterwards...the same thing happened. =\

I might ask my bro for his d3 congif file and see if that fixes it, anyone think that this might work?

StarWarsHater said:
heh, my roommate had to format right after he got it installed. He had an endless reboot before the login screen. That and he was overheating CPU temp 65C idle! Cleaning it out yield a more comfortable 45C. Also he had like grape smelling dirt/dust (I kid u not) in his HSF. Truly, that was a true WTF moment in computing.

No, not really a WTF moment. Your friend smokes too many cherry blunts in front of his PC.

I *HATE* working on PCs for people who smoke, it's even worse than helping my friend who has has TWO PCs peed on by his cats. Warm, dried cat pee on/in the PC sux, but when you kick up cigarette/cigar/weed/blunt residue, bad news for people with respiratory problems.

ehZn said:

Do me a favor please. Run timedemo demo1 (while at 1024 x 768), on both high and medium settings. Do it twice for each setting and report back with the 2nd result.

I'm curious, cause I also have a 5900XT.

Also, what are your computer specs -- I have a P 4 2.6 (1GB ram).

This is sort of "in response" to the post above about the timdemo.......

Has anyone with a 9800XT noticed anything odd when running timedemo demo1? When I run it it scores abnormally low for my setup, because sporatically throughout the run it will "get stuck" and have pauses, essentially bringing my minimum fps in the test to around 3. I'm gonna try it again withOUT the cachemegs changes to see if for some reason it had some effect on it, but right now I'm not sure what it could be.

cornelious0_0 said:
This is sort of "in response" to the post above about the timdemo.......

Has anyone with a 9800XT noticed anything odd when running timedemo demo1? When I run it it scores abnormally low for my setup, because sporatically throughout the run it will "get stuck" and have pauses, essentially bringing my minimum fps in the test to around 3. I'm gonna try it again withOUT the cachemegs changes to see if for some reason it had some effect on it, but right now I'm not sure what it could be.

Run it 2 or 3 times -- discard the first run, as it is caching the textures then.

Your 2nd and 3rd runs should be more valid.

this sent me from 51 to 58 in timedemo 1 and i'm running 2x AA
seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "256"

caesardog said:
Do me a favor please. Run timedemo demo1 (while at 1024 x 768), on both high and medium settings. Do it twice for each setting and report back with the 2nd result.

I'm curious, cause I also have a 5900XT.

Also, what are your computer specs -- I have a P 4 2.6 (1GB ram).

Specs are in the sig. I may have time to run a timedemo tonight but I doubt it...I don't hold much with benchmarking :rolleyes:

Keep in mind both cpu and gpu are oc'ed. For comparison at medium settings, I got pretty much a steady 60 fps that almost never dropped, which is why I figured it could handle high.

after decompressing all of the pak***.pk4 files and placing them in thier respective directories, i gained a total of 9.1fps in timedemo1, from 40.0 to 49.1. thats a fairly large increase, and in my opinion is worth the extra hard drive space it took up.

Dr. Who said:
after decompressing all of the pak***.pk4 files and placing them in thier respective directories, i gained a total of 9.1fps in timedemo1, from 40.0 to 49.1. thats a fairly large increase, and in my opinion is worth the extra hard drive space it took up.

how do you do that?

ehZn said:
Specs are in the sig. I may have time to run a timedemo tonight but I doubt it...I don't hold much with benchmarking :rolleyes:

Keep in mind both cpu and gpu are oc'ed. For comparison at medium settings, I got pretty much a steady 60 fps that almost never dropped, which is why I figured it could handle high.

Hey we have the same card exactly (MSI 5900 XT). Note that I have my running at 425/763 (using MSI's Dynamic Overclocking -- so it doesn't overclock when I'm not gaming). I use MSI's 61.21 drivers. What drivers are you using?

I think you should be able to get to 763 on the memory clock (that's only a 9% increase from the default of 700).

I assume you are using coolbits?

Back